Mun flyby in interplanetary missions

MedwedianPresident

If you can refuel in Mun orbit, it makes sense to start your interplanetary missions there (or even better, from Minmus). Refuel, burn as if you're returning to Kerbin (80km periapsis), and finally, burn at Kerbin periapsis to get an intercept with wherever you're going.

Scott Manley did a video on this, the Mun isn't particularly useful for most interplanetary destinations with a traditional gravity slingshot because you need more than you gain from the Mun to get there, and burning after you leave the Mun looses too much efficiency due to the Oberth effect.  If you just want to hit the solar SoI though, it's great.

If I hit the Mun or Minmus on an interplanetary mission, I do it as sh1pman describes.

Hmmm.... there's something I should try, a gravity slingshot off the Mun that rather than throwing me up, throws me down.  If you can hit LKO with more velocity than you had when you finished your transfer burn, that could be a win.  Of course, getting the timing for an interplanetary transfer right under those conditions would be a nightmare :-)

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Yes. I always postpone my burn by an orbit or two to avoid meeting with Mun. 

^ This.

34 minutes ago, Eric S said:

If you can hit LKO with more velocity than you had when you finished your transfer burn, that could be a win.  Of course, getting the timing for an interplanetary transfer right under those conditions would be a nightmare :-)

Use this: 

Of course hitting the Mun isn't really necessary, only getting your apoapsis higher in order to increase your orbital energy.

Edited by regex

30 minutes ago, Eric S said:

Scott Manley did a video on this, the Mun isn't particularly useful for most interplanetary destinations with a traditional gravity slingshot because you need more than you gain from the Mun to get there, and burning after you leave the Mun looses too much efficiency due to the Oberth effect. 

While I watched the video, I can't remember the reasoning.  I'm guessing that you won't get much deflection angle (and thus little slingshot effect) once you have enough delta-v (less slingshot effect) to get to Duna/Eve (and it only gets worse by going further).  This gets compounded as without the deflection angle you are much more limited to when you can leave, which means you lose more from changing your launch window than you gain from the slingshot.

While I find it a lot easier to use the Mun to slow down from Minmus, I suspect that the math doesn't work out for Aerocapture from outside of Kerlbalsoi.  But it still might be worth trying (assuming you have the delta-v to correct from the Mun).

On 10/12/2017 at 10:55 AM, wumpus said:

While I watched the video, I can't remember the reasoning.

It comes down to two things.  First, the most delta-v you can get from any flyby is twice the relative velocity.  And it retains the sign, so if you're moving faster than the Mun is orbiting, you won't get anywhere near that amount of delta v because the optimal change in delta-v would slow you down.  Because of orbital math, what a flyby is really doing is changing the direction of your relative velocity with respect to the body you're flying past. The maximum change this can yield is if the new direction is directly opposite your current direction.

The second thing that limits this is the gravity of the body in question.  The more gravity it has, the more capable it is of offering significant deflection, and the faster you're moving relative to the body, the more gravity it takes to deflect the craft's path.  The Mun is a bit on the light side in this respect, making it difficult to reach the limits set by the first limiting concern.

Edited by Eric S

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.