Question about add-on packaging

DoctorDavinci

Hi all

I have a question .... Is it permitted to package a zip as a self extracting archive in a mod posted on this forum?

I would like to make self extracting archives inside of DCK for each of the mods covered so as to make it as simple as possible for a user to install DCK for the mods they want it for

Thanx for any feedback :)

I've wondered about that too, I used it in a previous modding life as the mod was particularly messy for the game I was modding and it was easy for an inexperienced user to make mistakes. I can see it solving a few things like the double GameData syndrome. Cant't see any real downsides , but someone will.

Maybe the fact that  contents of self extractors cant really be viewed before extraction, though taking a mo to check what was installed, rather than pounding on the play button, is just good a good habit to have

It's not uncommon for people to install their games in non-default locations.  Specifically if they have multiple installs.  Also all 3 platforms will install differently.  For example, I don't have a C:\ drive.  A windows self extractor may work on my Linux system, but would require intervention to go in the right place.

But as long as you provided a regular zip as well, I don't see why it would be an issue.

What i was thinking is a user installs DCK like any other mod but after installing they open the GameData/DCK folder and double click the self extracting archives that correspond to the mods they have installed which puts the files in the right place for them

This also would facilitate not having to split a mod up into parts for download ... easier for the user and solves some support issues

One does wonder if the "source code available" requirement for addons also applies to such things as executable installers...
Aside from that, I have no problem with this idea, provided that:
The system works on all supported platforms (Win/Mac/Linux) without additional shagging around (no, running the installer in wine is not an acceptable solution).
There are no hardcoded Windows-centric paths involved (e.g. the antiquated notion of "drive letters".)
The files can be obtained with standard tools (zip etc.) if the installer fails for some reason.

Edited by steve_v

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.