Kerbal Aircraft Expansion _Continued "New Management"

SpannerMonkey(smce)

8 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

I have a little Christmas present for you,

Hi

That looks fantastic, I've been looking for a something more, for all the mods and that may be it, i shall certainly check it out cheers.

6 hours ago, nick2253 said:

Any interest on putting this on CKAN?

Hi

I have no interest in listing to or maintaining another download method, I'm aware that some of my mods have already sneaked onto CKAN.  As it goes there's nothing  i can do to prevent listing on CKAN. (if it's there i'm not going to pull it, but users should be aware that a clean manual install would be needed before any support will be offered)

As i've expressed many times, i much prefer that users of my/all mods understand what it is they are downloading having visited the thread and become aware of any known issues or special instructions, something that CKAN totally ignores in preference to the "i want that now" method.  

I do appreciate that it's a pain if you have a huge mod list, to visit and download all the required updates and CKAN makes it easy , regardless it's still the responsibility of the downloader to ensure that things are properly installed

Thank you for the offer however

• 2 weeks later...

The Radial, Sport and Turboprop engines have the idle sound playing constantly for me. Could be interaction with AJE/Real Fuels or something. I found switching to FSEngineSound fixed it for me if it's of any interest to anyone.

For instance, replacing the Turboprop Effects module with this:

MODULE
{
	name = FSengineSounds

engage = KAX/Sounds/sound_kax_turbopropStartup

//running =
	power = KAX/Sounds/sound_kax_turbopropIdle
	disengage = KAX/Sounds/sound_kax_turbopropShutdown
	flameout = KAX/Sounds/sound_kax_turbopropShutdown
	//warning = 

powerPitchBase = 0.5
	thrustAddedToPitch = 0.45
	powerFadeInSpeed = 0.003
	powerFadeInDelay = 2.0
	powerLowerThreshold = 0.0
	powerVolume = 1.0
	engageVolume = 1.0
	warningSoundThreshold = 0.8
	warningCooldownTime = 2.0
	randomStartDelay = 1.0 //for playing engines slightly out of sync
}

This MM patch seems to work for all engines:

//This patch needs to be applied before anything adds any extra engine configs, so the patch replicates.
@PART[KAXsportprop]:FIRST
{
	 //Effects only defines audio for this engine so we can clobber the whole thing.
	!EFFECTS {}

MODULE
	{
		name = FSengineSounds

engage = KAX/Sounds/sound_kax_sportpropStartup

//running =
		power = KAX/Sounds/sound_kax_sportpropIdle
		disengage = KAX/Sounds/sound_kax_sportpropShutdown
		flameout = KAX/Sounds/sound_kax_sportpropShutdown
		//warning = 

powerPitchBase = 0.5
		powerFadeInSpeed = 0.003
		powerFadeInDelay = 2.0
		powerVolume = 1.0
		engageVolume = 1.0
	}
}

@PART[KAXradialprop]:FIRST
{
	!EFFECTS {}

MODULE
	{
		name = FSengineSounds

engage = KAX/Sounds/sound_kax_radialpropStartup

//running =
		power = KAX/Sounds/sound_kax_radialpropIdle
		disengage = KAX/Sounds/sound_kax_radialpropShutdown
		flameout = KAX/Sounds/sound_kax_radialpropShutdown
		//warning = 

powerPitchBase = 0.5
		powerFadeInSpeed = 0.003
		powerFadeInDelay = 2.0
		powerVolume = 1.0
		engageVolume = 1.0
	}
}

@PART[KAXturboprop]:FIRST
{
	!EFFECTS {}

MODULE
	{
		name = FSengineSounds

engage = KAX/Sounds/sound_kax_turbopropStartup

//running =
		power = KAX/Sounds/sound_kax_turbopropIdle
		disengage = KAX/Sounds/sound_kax_turbopropShutdown
		flameout = KAX/Sounds/sound_kax_turbopropShutdown
		//warning = 

powerPitchBase = 0.5
		powerFadeInSpeed = 0.003
		powerFadeInDelay = 2.0
		powerVolume = 1.0
		engageVolume = 1.0
	}
}

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, S4qFBxkFFg said:

Am I missing something or do the "Vintage Propelator Heavy" and "Vintage Propelator Super Sport" have the exact same stats?

AFAIK the stats are the same from what I am seeing, but one has 2 blades, one has 4. I'm not sure if there's more to it than that.

hi i saw this mod in some youtube videos and i was looking for it for ksp 1.3.1 and i found but when i downloaded the .zip file it hadn't the module manager that i think it's needed can u tell me how to get the module manager or if there is another way of installing it pls?

4 hours ago, NeonLights said:

it hadn't the module manager

HI no it does not come with ModuleManager  I prefer not to distribute other peoples mods, no matter how good or essential they are, and prefer users to get the latest and greatest from Sarbians thread or Git Repository , I see too many installs with half a dozen various versions of module manager, mainly due to them being packaged inside other mods.

Get it here

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2018 at 8:12 PM, inigma said:

Vintage Propellator doesn't spin in 1.4. Also can you add a reverse thrust switch so I can mount it rearward facing?

That'll be because i never downloaded 1.4 :)  However  just checked in 1.4.1 and props  and they all have reverse , though  not tested all to fullest.  , Firespitter is still a dependency .
This is not to say an update is imminent there is a 1031 part waiting list to be fully checked before any true  state can be assessed.
That little lot on the back of a HD failure that scrambled all my unity projects, wrecked the saved scenes, and while it was at it randomised 95% of the files in my KSP dev builds.

SO please bear with us while we dig our way out, normal service of some sort will be restored, i n hopefully a reasonable time frame

Spoiler

Re reverse thrust,  they've always been pushers too :)

TGPwoVc.png

Several posts have been removed here.  Folks, please don't pester mod authors for updates.  They know when they need to update things, and breathing down their necks and jostling their elbows doesn't help.  Remember that they're giving you shiny toys for free, in their spare time, which has to take a back seat to IRL responsibilities.  So, please show a little appreciation by being patient.

Also... if anyone sees someone else whom you believe is violating rules... please do not accuse or lecture them, as it is not your place to do so.  Instead, please just report the post (with an appropriate note) to get the moderators' attention, and let us attend to anything that needs attending to.  It's what we're for.

Thank you for your understanding.

• 1 month later...

Best of luck with your computer and the update. =) 

Do try not to overwork yourself, and thanks for keeping this mod going, would really miss not having all these parts/ shiny new toys. (this sentence stopped making sense and I can't fix it.) 

Oh and I would be happy to help with testing if need be, despite the fact that I am currently trapped in the stomach of your father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate. 

That is assuming my location is still "in the belly of the moon kraken" 

(Ended up here after noticing KAX was a needed mod for something on KerbalX, which I have just forgotten what was....hmmm)

Edited by Mark Kerbin

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2017 at 1:31 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

As i've expressed many times, i much prefer that users of my/all mods understand what it is they are downloading having visited the thread and become aware of any known issues or special instructions, something that CKAN totally ignores in preference to the "i want that now" method.  

On 2/11/2018 at 4:09 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

HI no it does not come with ModuleManager  I prefer not to distribute other peoples mods, no matter how good or essential they are, and prefer users to get the latest and greatest from Sarbians thread or Git Repository , I see too many installs with half a dozen various versions of module manager, mainly due to them being packaged inside other mods.

Hi,

I really appreciate your point of view. I actually redo a clean modded install manually cause :

1- CKAN install things in speed and finally we have big compatibility problems

2- Modders add dependencies directly in their own zip and finally we have big compatibility problems

So for this fresh install all mods who come with integrated dependencies are banned. a dll is simple to exclude but when yu have 5or 6 foders, you must check each file to know if they overwrite or not the originals, if they are modified or not, if it's the last version or not ... finally something did to gain time is terribly time consuming ! And after start to install manually all the mods you see a lot of modders who do that :/

with all this mods banned it let me some RAM to test other mods , essentially planes cause I hate play with them and I must learn ^^ It's why I come here, why I look at the last message to see if it's compatible with last version and why I have time to see your great philosophy.

I don't request any update, I understand than sometimes PC problems, life, or kiddly customers always asking for update like they wait the last smartphone, can break a motivation. habitually I don't ask for update and go to another mod. But sometimes I act by sensitivity, so if one day you update this, can you highlight me to let me know I can come to enjoy with your stuff

Thanks anyway

• 3 months later...

Been fiddling with this, and noticed that the included example "KAX Horizon.craft" cannot be loaded as it contains a part not included in this mod, specifically two (a mirrored pair of) occurrences of NoseArt. This part seems to be from SM_Stryker Aerospace and Armoury; have installed and am waiting for it to load to see if it fixes the problem...

It does. Once the mirrored logos are removed, the craft can be loaded with only this mod and basic dependencies installed. Otherwise all seems to work as expected in 1.4.5.

• 1 month later...

Do we have a rough time frame for when it'll be coming to 1.5? I understand you guys (modders) haven't had long to work on mod updates. In the meantime, will the 1.4.5 version work in 1.5?

SEEKING NEW MANAGEMENT

On 10/23/2018 at 12:23 AM, Munar pilot said:

Do we have a rough time frame for when it'll be coming to 1.5? I understand you guys (modders) haven't had long to work on mod updates. In the meantime, will the 1.4.5 version work in 1.5?

With reference to the above and in agreement with Keptin, original creator and ultimate owner of KAX  I am looking to hand the mod over to a suitably experienced mod maintainer/creator .  Interested parties should get in touch by PM , be aware that there are certain conditions regarding what can and can't be done with KAX that I've had to work with and any subsequent maintainer would , I expect , also have to honor.  The main and most important being that KAX must remain KAX  it cannot be rolled into another existing mod  or used as a base for a new mod .

So it's unlikely given my abysmal health, and the general lack of love I'm feeling toward KSP I very much doubt at this point if I will be the one releasing a 1.5(.??) version
( lets be brutally honest here, I never really came to terms with 1.4.screwed, I found it a buggy disappointing mess and as yet I've not installed 1.5(.?? ) as i doubt it s solved any of the issues that had started to plague my dev, as most of them are related to how unity and KSP  interact, and that now is almost impossible to fix )

Thanks for the support, those responsible know who they are,
So if bringing KAX up to date and you are interested and able, no dreamers please,  get in touch .

SM

4 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I am looking to hand the mod over to a suitably experienced mod maintainer/creator

Fully understand where you're coming from. Thanks for everything you've done, I do hope someone picks this up as it's a lovely set of parts. Good luck with whatever takes your fancy next.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 8:23 PM, Munar pilot said:

Unfortunately, no. Although it seems to work (sound, data, etc.) the propellers don't turn... I thought it was a matter of updating firespitter.dll but could not find it in KAX subdirectory, only found KAX.DLL but I can't compile it... :(

14 hours ago, jlcarneiro said:

Unfortunately, no. Although it seems to work (sound, data, etc.) the propellers don't turn... I thought it was a matter of updating firespitter.dll but could not find it in KAX subdirectory, only found KAX.DLL but I can't compile it... :(

I don't know what kax.dll does, but firespitter should never be in a mod's subdirectory. It always and only goes in the firespitter directory, because you can get problems if you have multiple firespitter dlls in gamedata.

3 hours ago, theonegalen said:

It always and only goes in the firespitter directory, because you WILL get problems if you have multiple firespitter dlls in gamedata.

Here. I fixed that for you. :) 

I'm ok on embedding a minimal set of assets from another Mod into yours in order to deliver a funcional bundle, but my best advise is to mimic the mod's original subdirectory the best you can - so the end user, while installing the full mod later, would just overwrite your "embedded copy" with a full/newer copy.

Of course, there's always the risk of the user downgrading that DLL, but KSP now have a dependency checker for assemblies that can help to diagnose such mishaps.

Edited by Lisias
tyops as usulla...

7 minutes ago, JH4C said:

Is kax.dll just a custom animation plugin then, or does it do more? If the former, can we possibly rewire the parts to use FireSpitter or B9?

Its just a Category filter. It's imprescindible, however, as it's the only way to create Categories and SubCategories on the Parts Inventory on VAB/SPH .

22 hours ago, Lisias said:

Its just a Category filter. It's imprescindible, however, as it's the only way to create Categories and SubCategories on the Parts Inventory on VAB/SPH .

That's not a word in English; searching suggests the alternatives would be essential or indispensable. However, maintaining a special category just for one mod's items is a luxury, so that means the .dll is really non-essential. It's not like there's a lot of parts to keep track of either! There's always FilterExtensions; a custom config could be supplied for those that wish to keep the KAX stuff segregated. Or just use Janitor's Closet to filter out other mods. Not that it matters right now because kax.dll appears to be working just fine under 1.5.x anyway.

I've just double-checked all the engines and with the updated FireSpitter .dll they're all animating properly. I did notice an audio bug with the A7 AeroSport, its idle sound starts as soon as the scene loads. The other sounds associated with that engine, and all other engine sounds for the rest of the pack, work as intended.