Kerbal Aircraft Expansion _Continued "New Management"

SpannerMonkey(smce)

27 minutes ago, JH4C said:

That's not a word in English; searching suggests the alternatives would be essential or indispensable.

False cognates and Kraken damned autocompletions. It happens a lot (it was worse when I had to handle communications with germans!) :D 

28 minutes ago, JH4C said:

It's not like there's a lot of parts to keep track of either! There's always FilterExtensions; a custom config could be supplied for those that wish to keep the KAX stuff segregated. Or just use Janitor's Closet to filter out other mods. Not that it matters right now because kax.dll appears to be working just fine under 1.5.x anyway.

To tell you the true, is how KSP was meant to be used: every mod knows what's best for itself.

Granted, FilterExtensions can standardize the thing, but then, FilterExtensions would have to know about every other add-on to correctly support -it - if only it would be easily customizable.

On CSharp, I can use custom Linq queries (it's done only once, at startup - no harm!) to build the Categories (it's how it's done on Impossible Innovations), so it's essentially maintenance free - any new parts will be correctly categorized by the code in the next boot.

On 11/12/2018 at 4:18 PM, JH4C said:

I've just double-checked all the engines and with the updated FireSpitter .dll they're all animating properly. I did notice an audio bug with the A7 AeroSport, its idle sound starts as soon as the scene loads. The other sounds associated with that engine, and all other engine sounds for the rest of the pack, work as intended.

Not for me. The D-25 engine has the same problem here.

It's about the spoolEffectName audio effect. By some reason, this effect is being triggered when the engine is disabled.

Comparing with stock vessels, I noticed that they use two more parameters, not used by KAX at the moment: engineSpoolIdle and engineSpoolTime .The values I used from the stack engines didn't made any changes,.

But then I noticed that the minThrust of the D-25 engine was bigger than the engineSpoolIdle , so I put this last value a bit bigger. It will demand some time in experiments, however - I didn't managed to get something yet.

I think this is a design flaw from ModuleEnginesFX - it doesn't really detect the engine state while playing the Spool sound effect - it relies only in something else (perhaps the thrust levell).

—POST—EDIT--

This is happening too on 1.4.5 ! :) I can't understand how I missed that. :D 

I'm running down KSP versions to see where it started. This will help us to figure out what's happening.

—POST—POST—EDIT--

It happens on 1.3.1 too. It's not an issue with 1.5.1, the current code/CFG for KAX are consistently behaving this way for KSP 1.3.1 to 1.5.1 .  We need to test, now, the versions from the era, to see is this is something introduced by FS ou KAX, or if this was always this way without we being aware. :) 

NOTE: I tested it without FS installed to see what happens on every KSP. Of course, the engine is not animated but the sound effects consistently "misbehave" as described. I think we are handling a KSP "idiosyncrasy" -  KSP was made to handle Jet engines, not propelled ones… :/ 

—POST—POST—POST—EDIT--

I had the time to revisit the issue, and concluded that the best (if not the only) way is to use FireSpitter to handle the sounds (FSEngineSounds). Ideally IMHO the propeller's engines should use the FSEngine for thrusting too, but that would render these KAX engines inoperable by some add-ons (Atmospheric Autopilot for sue, and KER also gasps on FSEngine).

In this holidays I'm going to give a shot on FS again, so perhaps a solution can be cooked.

In a way or another, rereading this thread I saw that people already had fixed that with exactly what I said above, using FSEngineSounds. I'm cooking a fix for this in the next hours, I will publish a pull request soon. [RealLife got into the way. My  next window will be, probably, between Xmas and New Year]

Edited by Lisias
Krakens count the tyops!!!

• 1 month later...

UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT

For further info please visit the thread linked below

Thanks to Lisias for taking over the reins and leading KAX into the future , and thanks again for all those that contributed in some way during my stewardship.

This thread will now be locked , all queries regarding KAX should be directed to the new thread linked above and in the OP

Cheers

SM