System requirements

2 hours ago, Jas0n said:

You have a 32-bit computer

It's an i5, and very much 64bit. Somebody just installed the wrong OS on it.

3 hours ago, MeepTicoMeep said:

i5 2400 quad core 3.10 ghz

8GB ram 3.49 usable

32-bit

Do yourself a favour and install a 64bit operating system. With your current configuration, over half of your memory is unusable.
As a bonus you'll be able to run KSP properly, with mods even.

Edited by steve_v

How do we know it's a 32-bit system for sure? Isn't he just loading the wrong .exe? 32-bit windows aren't installed that often past years.. 64-bit is used on (small) commercial base since 1990. Since, the amount of people that get a 32-bit system nowadays is really small.

Open your KSP root folder. When installed by steam, it's located in: {Drive letter}\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\..
Try to launch from the KSP_x64.exe instead of the normal KSP.exe 

3 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I think another kicker is that you're running off of on-board graphics.  If you decide to put any money into this computer after you get a 64 bit OS on it, put it into a GPU.

Intergraded graphics shouldn't be a problem with ksp, it almost entirely relies on your CPU and RAM. Unless you install visual mods ofcourse. But the physiccalculation are much more asking than the visual.

1 minute ago, DrLicor said:

Intergraded graphics shouldn't be a problem with ksp, it almost entirely relies on your CPU and RAM. Unless you install visual mods ofcourse. But the physiccalculation are much more asking than the visual.

It was for me *shrug*.  I run no visual mods and the game would just fall into 3-4 FPS whenever I was around a planet other than Kerbin.  Brand new computer, i5-7500K @3.4 Ghz with 8 GB Ram.  Bone stock, no mods whatsoever.  Basically unplayable with the planet in view.  I would rotate the camera to show just the ship, and it would smooth out.  Issue went away with the GTX-1050.

Not guaranteeing that's the issue, just some food for thought.  Running 32 bit is likely the main issue.

15 hours ago, DrLicor said:

How do we know it's a 32-bit system for sure?

Because the OP said so:

23 hours ago, MeepTicoMeep said:

8GB ram 3.49 usable

32-bit

8GB installed, ~3.5GB usable. Sure sounds like a 32bit non-PAE OS to me.
Why anyone would install a 32bit OS on an I5 with 8GB of RAM I don't know, it's madness.
But unless the stated numbers are incorrect, there we are.

3 hours ago, invision said:

i tried  playing this on an i3 with 8 gigs of ram and onboard graphics and it was unplayable at 10 fps or less, this was using 64 bit mode.

Granted onboard Intel graphics are sub-optimal (though the chip in an I5 should be a bit better), but a slow GPU won't cause the game to crash, and that's the main problem here as far as I can see.

6 hours ago, Geonovast said:

It was for me *shrug*.  I run no visual mods and the game would just fall into 3-4 FPS whenever I was around a planet other than Kerbin.

At a guess, I'd say that's the old "terrain shaders run like ass on intel graphics" chestnut... There's a "fix" for this floating about somewhere IIRC, but yeah, for KSP Intel graphics == poor performance.

Edited by steve_v

9 hours ago, MeepTicoMeep said:

it came with 32 bit

also should  get new ram sticks

No, it won't help. What you need to do is somehow upgrade the OS to 64bit so it can "see" the rest of your RAM. Do you use Windows? If you have Windows 10 it's straightforward enough, although you need to reinstall the entire thing to make it work. I'm not sure about earlier versions of it (XP, 7, 8) though.  

Have a look here https://www.windowscentral.com/how-upgrade-32-bit-64-bit-version-windows-10

Edited by Daishi

As everyone has said, use 64-bit Windows. Then all of your RAM can be used by the system. Also, I would invest in a graphics card. If you don't have a lot of money, a GTX 1030 or a 770 is a decent card that will run KSP at around 45 FPS stock.

7 minutes ago, NateisKerbal said:

As everyone has said, use 64-bit Windows. Then all of your RAM can be used by the system. Also, I would invest in a graphics card. If you don't have a lot of money, a GTX 1030 or a 770 is a decent card that will run KSP at around 45 FPS stock.

Gtx 1030 doesn't exist if I'm right, only a gt 1030. Also, I would go for the first one of gtx 1000 series if you want a budget gaming card; the gtx 1050. Way better price/power, the GTX1050 is 4th in the GPu price rankings. 

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-vs-Nvidia-GT-1030/3650vsm283726

55 minutes ago, DrLicor said:

Gtx 1030 doesn't exist if I'm right, only a gt 1030. Also, I would go for the first one of gtx 1000 series if you want a budget gaming card; the gtx 1050. Way better price/power, the GTX1050 is 4th in the GPu price rankings. 

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-vs-Nvidia-GT-1030/3650vsm283726

I agree - I've got the 1050. Amazing little card for the price. 

On 10/18/2017 at 8:49 AM, DrLicor said:

sorry about that, got the two brands mixed up.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, MeepTicoMeep said:

ive tried to upgrade to 64 bit but it keeps saying "this app cant run on this pc"

If you are going from 32 bit to 64 bit you will need to do a full clean reinstall from disk/USB stick (back your personal data up first!). I don't think you can do an x86>x64 upgrade (could be wrong, but I doubt it as all your drivers would be wrong).

Instructions here on how to do that if you aren't comfortable (I've assumed you are on Win 10, let me know if that's wrong and I'll find you some other instructions): http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/how-to-perform-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10-11364000633913

One thing to note: I don't remember if Media Creation Tool lets you download a different architecture to the one you are using. I think there is an option about "download for another PC" but I haven't used it on so long, I genuinely don't remember. If it gives you that option, make sure you select x64.

• 1 month later...