Land then Air then Space Speed Record

I know I have seen multiple land, air or space speed records.  This is a new Land and Air and Space speed record.  The challenge being the vehicle must do all three in order.

Below are several (Unofficial) images of my first attempt at setting baseline speeds:

Qi8pQV6.png

rncrqA2.png

utnchrS.png

Ikl1xC5.png

As you can see my numbers are:

1. Land: 273 m/s
  2. Air: 315 m/s
  3. Space: 1180 m/s

Rules:

• Pure stock build.
  • It must be manned and the kerbal(s) have to be internal.
  • I have no problem with using the ice sheets at the poles as long as you design a vehicle to get you there.
  • Same vehicle, same flight.
  • Set the highest land speed. (surface speed)
  • Set the highest air speed (surface speed, 100 m to under 10,000 m altitude).
  • Set the highest speed in space, over 70 km. (orbital speed). Keep it a drag race.  No leaving the Kerbin SOI.
  • Must beat all three of the previous record setter.
  • A video would be great, but I think we can get by with at least 4 pics like the ones above to verify speeds.  (any other ideas?)
  • Screen shot of the vehicle at KSC. Screen shot of the vehicle before it exceeds 10 km (F3 verifies land and air speeds).  Action shots of the vehicle breaking records and a final F3 shot showing the maximum speed reached.
  • No cheats.  Default rules.

And... Their off!

Edited by Probus
Clarification

This would be pure stock, don't you think?  

Same vehicle, same flight

• Sets the highest land speed. (surface speed)
  • Sets the highest air speed (surface speed, 100 m to under 10,000 m).
  • Sets the highest speed in space, over 70 km. (orbital speed).

Use F3 to show highest speed over land, the highest speed under 10 km, then a final F3 from space.

I will build a baseline vehicle that can only be beaten by beating all three records.

Edited by Probus
Clarification

@Probus yeah but have to ask lol, I could make a vehical with warp drive that doesn't dot amazing on land or in air but goes wild in space.

i like the concept would be fun to try and see what can be manageable speeds on land without burning up then lift off and make it to space.

Could also add bonus points for mass, if it's crewed (how many) 

I'm also trying to think about where its done. Best place to set land speed records are the poles (as you likely know) so getting the vehical there would take a "bit" of extra mass and I don't know if youd want to count that or add the ability to hyper edit the craft there. 

Plus air breathing jet engines would help get the craft up to speed on land and in the air then be ditched on the way to space to increase TWR how would this effect over all score

And if done as a single craft the first two points can be combined with ditchable wings for initial flight to the poles that hold fuel like the large delta wing. Then the craft can go for the land record with reduced mass and with enough speed little wing surface would be needed to get in the air and burn through the 10km of air speed altitude allowance. Then ditch the air breathers and move on to a main sail engine to keep extra high TWR

Sorry if I'm goin a little wild with ideas but you got my brain goin wild with how to do this:D

Edited by MoarBoostersRUS

Posted some UNOFFICIAL numbers and pics to get things started:

As you can see my numbers are:

Land: 273 m/s

Air: 315 m/s

Space: 1180 m/s

(I've already beaten these this morning, but not by much.)

Edited by Probus

Does orbital speed have to be Kerbin orbit?  If so, can you leave Kerbin orbit and come back (getting a high speed in solar orbit and then diving back towards Kerbin)?  Can you use gravity assists?

Also, does it have to be manned and if so, are seats allowed?

I do like the "king of the hill" style of scoring, where you have to beat all 3 of the previous best entry.  It could get to the point where just one of the records is really impressive, and the other two could still be easily beaten.  For example, I can think of a couple ways to game the space record, especially if the answer to some of the above questions is "yes"...

Well, I want to keep it as fun as possible so I am very interested in suggestions from experienced folks.

• I think we should keep it a drag race.  No leaving the Kerbin SOI.
  • It must be manned and the kerbals have to be internal.
  • I have no problem with using the ice sheets at the poles as long as you design a vehicle to get you there.

I am not sure if F3 is giving the orbital speed or the surface speed while in space.  Anyone know?

Should the official scores be videoed or just posted with certain screen shots?

Edited by Probus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.