What does this mean?

Mr. Quark

So on a discord for KSP someone posted a picture of a legal notice in the KSP directory and this is it:

Spoiler

Copyright (C) 2017 Patrick Hogenboom

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this 
software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software 
without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, 
publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit 
persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies 
or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, 
INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR 
PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE 
FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR 
OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER 
DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

What does this mean? So anyone can give away KSP? Can someone explain please? (This is in LegalNotice.txt in the KSP Download directory)

According to the document itself these are "Third Party Legal Notices." It then states: "This product may include software licensed under terms that required to display the following notices:"

So this document likely doesn't refer to KSP as a whole but some part of it, or something that was packaged with it.

If you actually go read it you'll notice there are about a dozen separate copyrights in there with different names.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

1 minute ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

According to the document itself these are "Third Party Legal Notices." It then states: "This product may include software licensed under terms that required to display the following notices:"

So this document likely doesn't refer to KSP as a whole but some part of it, or something that was packaged with it.

If you actually go read it you'll notice there are actually about a dozen separate copyrights in there with different names.

Yeah I noticed it, but they all seem to be the same text so I dismissed it as different members of the team just stating it for their work on KSP

5 minutes ago, Mr. Quark said:

Yeah I noticed it, but they all seem to be the same text so I dismissed it as different members of the team just stating it for their work on KSP

That's understandable.

To summarize though; no, this document does not refer to KSP itself and does not give anyone the right to distribute or give it away.

It's a collection of copyrights for third party software included in the game.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.