TRANSMOGRIFIER - Real-size rockets - stockalike gameplay (ρ)

Nightside

TRANSMOGRIFIER

32623501-3d8b7df2-c53b-11e7-855b-dd61edf

The transmogrifier is a magic box. Put something in, turn the dial and out comes...   ...   ...different sized parts! (And maybe unexpected results...)

This mod is a Module Manager patch that will rescale all parts in your game from kerbal size (~5/8 scale) to roughly real-life sizes (default setting). So Mk.1 parts are now 2m in diameter just like the Mercury spacecraft, but other scales are possible.

This is a work in progress do not use in an existing game (probably best to use a fresh install),  as this will break all inflight vessels and .craft files as well. I am posting the mod in this early state in the hopes of getting some feedback and help on things I'm stuck on or have not noticed yet.

WHAT IT DOES
-The basic patch resizes rockets to realish proportions (default setting) but doesn't change fuel capicities. This should play well in stock-sized solar systems up to 3.2x resized systems.

OPTIONAL EXTENSIONS
-Resize Internals - (and kerbals too!) - This makes IVAs match external sizes.
-Full Tanks - Full thrust - Allows for a ultra-light realish experience, if you want to play in RSS or 10x resized systems. This patch requires SMURFF. (Balacing is WIP.)

ISSUES

-Not tested with mods at all. Stockalike mods will probably be ok, mods that do anything fancy, such as Procedural Parts and SSTU probably won't work.

-Stock Fairings work, but the truss structure is not resized.

-Internals are resized, inside kerbals are resized, is this a good thing or an abomination!!??!?

-Fuel capacity and thrust increased to realish volumes, but not fully sanity checked yet.

-Some of the older stock parts don't resize because they use a legacy method of defining the model and scale. I've kludged this to work on some of the Squad parts, but there might be some other parts I haven't noticed yet.

-ModuleLiftingSurface values are not scaled, because I don't know what they mean.

-Mod compatibility is incomplete

GOALS

-Allow a easier "kerbal-alike" experience on a real-life scale, without all the hassle of maintaining a Realism Overhaul install.
-Refine resource volume changes
-Make sure masses are reasonable
-Find any bugs or unintended features

-Integration with SMURFF and/or Sigma Dimensions to provide a light-weight realism mode.

FEATURES

Define your own scale! - Currently set to change parts to a human scale size. 

-If you need to exclude a part from resizing you can use this Module Manager patch.

@PART[MySpecialPart]:FIRST
{
	TransmogrifyExclude = true
}

DOWNLOAD - For any version of KSP 1.1 or newer

GITHUB DOWNLOAD

Requires Module Manager (at least version 2.6.23 for KSP 1.1), not included.

Optional features require SMURFF , not included.

SOURCE

LICENSE

CHANGELOG

Spoiler

v0.1.0 "Bigger and Beta"
    -Tank volume and Thrust changes require SMURFF by Kerbas-ad-Astra, not included.
    -General cleanup and documentation.
    -WIP compatibility for RSB and SSTU

v0.0.2 "Bigger Kerbals"
    -Modular, if you don't want a particular resize feature you can disable or removet the cfg and the rest should work. Just keep Transmogrifier.cfg
    -Fixed internal resizing. I've also increased size of kerbals... (but only when inside parts)... Is this a good thing?
    -Made Stock fairings look right. Still WIP to get the autotruss feature looking good.

Edited by Nightside
Beta update

@CobaltWolf Yes, the primary purpose it to resize parts all parts in one fell swoop of Module Manager. At the moment it does not change tank capacity so will still function more or less the same.

The secondary objective will be to allow the user scale tank volumes between stock capacity and real volume capacity, corresponding to solar system scale, similar to the way SMURFF changes part masses. Hopefully, when used alongside SMURFF and a 10x/RSS system it will provide a light-weight alternative to RO.

Compared to Tweakscale, this does not require a .dll (except MM) and does not offer ingame part resizing.

I followed some breadcrumbs and was able to resize cockpit internals along with the other parts. However, the kerbals themselves don't resize, and end up with their seatbelt buckles in their mouths. I may be able to move them a bit, or just keep them this way through Halloween.

31586352-7bff7568-b184-11e7-9aff-0669151

Made some progress here. Stock parts should work fine. If you see anything that doesn't let me know.

Still balanced for stock sized system.

CHANGES
v0.0.2 "Bigger Kerbals, longer rockets"
    -Modular, if you don't want a particular resize feature you can disable or remove the cfg and the rest should work. Just keep Transmogrifier.cfg
    -Fixed internal resizing. I've also increased size of kerbals... (but only when inside parts)... Is this a good thing?
    -Made Stock fairings look right. Still WIP to get the autotruss feature looking good.

https://github.com/Nightside101010/Transmogrifier/releases

NEXT STEPS

-Pictures!

-Increase tank capacity to real-ish amount so it will work in larger scale systems, this will require increasing thrust as well to get reasonable TWR. Can SMURFF do it?

-Test with mods (suggestions?)

-What else?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beta Release!

Fixed some bugs and got more features working. See 1st post.

Although my interest is in rescaling parts to a real-ish size, it also works for other sizes because it was more fun to make it that way. Model Rockets anyone?

32623501-3d8b7df2-c53b-11e7-855b-dd61edf

On 10/15/2017 at 11:01 AM, theJesuit said:

Intriguing, and interesting that you are spending the time working on Internals too :)

Could it be from your picture that the 'seats' are being resized but not the kerbals themselves?

@theJesuit, yes that is exactly what happened. I had two options, try to move the kerbals around so the seatbelts wouldn't show, or resize the kerbals themselves to fit their surroundings, (they are like goldfish, right?).

On 10/29/2017 at 11:39 AM, DJ Reonic said:

This would be amazing. I'd love to have the ability to scale everything up to life-size but still keep everything stock.

That's the idea! If you want to land on the moon (and return) you will need to build something as massive as the Saturn V ~100 m tall. 

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hear @DJ Reonic, is the engine from stock or a mod? If so which mod?

Ah you know what, I had made a few fixes that I didn't release. I've just updated the download now on the Github. 

If you have KER or MJ or similar, make sure to check the TWR at launch. The SRB's thrust doesn't scale quite as expected through SMURFF so it may need further tweaking.

Edited by Nightside
details

15 hours ago, Nightside said:

Sorry to hear @DJ Reonic, is the engine from stock or a mod? If so which mod?

Ah you know what, I had made a few fixes that I didn't release. I've just updated the download now on the Github. 

If you have KER or MJ or similar, make sure to check the TWR at launch. The SRB's thrust doesn't scale quite as expected through SMURFF so it may need further tweaking.

TWR is above 1, but the rocket just sits there, the engines run at full thrust, and stage as they are supposed to, but the rocket sits there as if frozen.

2 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

TWR is above 1, but the rocket just sits there, the engines run at full thrust, and stage as they are supposed to, but the rocket sits there as if frozen.

That is strange. Maybe collider are stuck under ground.

I have noticed some odd behavior on rescaled launchpads, usually it makes my rocket just up. If I’m quick I can stage and so I always use launchclamps now. Let me know if problem continues with the new version I released.

Well that’s modded KSP for you, there is always something strange going on.

I’m not seeing the problem on my own installation so I need some more info.

If you feel like investigating further I would need to see a screenshot of the problem and your mod list, at least.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, TachyonGMZ said:

Will this with smurff work with SSTU alone or will I need a separate patch.

Hi @TachyonGMZ, There are patches for SSTU included in the download. SSTU is a work in progress and complicated to patch, so works now, but if Shadowmage makes major changes it could break my patches.

But, as I said, it should work for now, if something seems wrong, let me know. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This project has been on the back burner for awhile. I was finishing up my second bachelor's degree and started up a new job right away.

I'm curious if people are interested in a light-weight "Actual-size" mod. 

I am considering rebooting this with the goal of creating a way to play real-sized spaceships with realistic stats without all of the complex dependencies of the Real*  Mod Universe. Now that Kopernicus is back in business I'm just waiting for the latest Sigma Dimensions to give this a try. 

The main function of this mod would resize part models to 1.6x stock size, and resize - capacities of tanks and thrust of engines.

Most of this was functionally possible with this mod before I took a break from KSP, the main change would be focusing on realistic sizing and performance without changing the stock game's "Just launch it and see what happens" play-style. 

The dependencies would simply be:

- Module Manager

- SMURFF -  for making realistic TWR and weights for engines, tanks, etc

- Kopernicus

--- Sigma Dimensions and any stock-alike system with a 10x resize config.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Nightside

8 hours ago, Nightside said:

This project has been on the back burner for awhile. I was finishing up my second bachelor's degree and started up a new job right away.

I'm curious if people are interested in a light-weight "Actual-size" mod. 

I am considering rebooting this with the goal of creating a way to play real-sized spaceships with realistic stats without all of the complex dependencies of the Real*  Mod Universe. Now that Kopernicus is back in business I'm just waiting for the latest Sigma Dimensions to give this a try. 

The main function of this mod would resize part models to 1.6x stock size, and resize - capacities of tanks and thrust of engines.

Most of this was functionally possible with this mod before I took a break from KSP, the main change would be focusing on realistic sizing and performance without changing the stock game's "Just launch it and see what happens" play-style. 

The dependencies would simply be:

- Module Manager

- SMURFF -  for making realistic TWR and weights for engines, tanks, etc

- Kopernicus

--- Sigma Dimensions and any stock-alike system with a 10x resize config.

Any suggestions?

Me Likey.

• 1 month later...

So I finally got around to doing something with Transmogrifier. This is a patch that makes all the parts approximately actual-size and gives realistic size, mass and thrust to all parts.

PRESENTING:

Test release of Actual-Sized Transmogrified Rocket Overhaul or ASTRO is available on github. At this point it is a very simple mod to allow a stockalike playstyle with real sized rockets. RSS or 10x scale system is recommended. 

I'll make a proper OP for it soon.

Requires Module Manager and SMURFF, not included.

Don't use in existing saves, will break all craft files, etc, etc

2 hours ago, inkwell said:

giving this a try now! looks promising :) im assuming this doesnt have the optional extensions mentioned in the OP? (im using this on a 10x rescale with smurff btw)

Thanks, the latest version linked in my previous post does resize and increase thrust and is specifically designed for 10x/RSS. If you get to orbit, post a pic!

I'm open to feedback on the thrust power. I increased it a bit the last time I made changes, but didn't get a chance to test it much.

I'd like to figure out a patch to increase thrust on lifter engines but keep it low on orbital engines. Maybe something like if ISP_engine/ISP_average >1 = lifter, give boost, if <1, reduce thrust.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.