Can we get a single-page start screen?

I don't see the big deal with changing screen, nor why people are defending it so badly.  It would take very little time to change it to be honest...

On 17/10/2017 at 10:50 PM, MoarBoostersRUS said:

This seems like laziness talking. To start the game you have to click a button what 3 times? And as was stated originally to close F5( or whatever your quick save button is {Mine is / I like to be different}) then alt-F4 or just hit windows button then close from the start bar. Really don't see why your complaining.

I can't ALT-F4 in Linux and I play fullscreen.  You would have known that had you read the entire thread.  Also, the annoying part is the SLOW moving of the start menu, it's really annoying...

On 17/10/2017 at 10:50 PM, mattinoz said:

Wait there is a Mod to skip all the front end?

Can it say just open the last saved game as well that would be choice?

For one, mods aren't the answer.  Secondly, there was one that I tried that just loaded the last game you played, but if that's not the one you wanted to play that day, you needed to then exit again back to the start screen to load the one you want, making the procedure even longer.  I for one have several saves going on.

On 17/10/2017 at 11:27 PM, 5thHorseman said:

You said that a mod indicates the game is broken and needs fixed. I'm saying that's not true.

For what it's worth I agree with you about the menus. While they're at it, I wish they'd remove the stupid slide in from the side so I could click the menus that I do want to be there quicker.

See in particular "quick start" and "quick exit"

Yes!  \

On 18/10/2017 at 9:54 AM, tutike2000 said:

Just make the scroll faster, or instantaneous.

Moving UI elements are the devil.

Yes!

1 hour ago, xtoro said:

For one, mods aren't the answer.  Secondly, there was one that I tried that just loaded the last game you played, but if that's not the one you wanted to play that day, you needed to then exit again back to the start screen to load the one you want, making the procedure even longer.  I for one have several saves going on.

Well, Mods aren't a real answer but they might be the best answer we get.

Understanding you have multi-saves on the go it's not a great solution at all. Me well, my play time is more limited and tend to one have one save on the go so It suits me to get there with one click.

1 hour ago, Confused Scientist said:

I, personally, enjoy the two-screen/switching animation system, and think one screen would be very cluttered.

To me the issue isn't that there are two pages just that you have to go thru both then a third to do what is the most obvious thing. I mean other settings once every year of so I don't think i've hit any other choice on the first screen other than start game.

Keep the two screens, keep the animation - just layout the options sensibly make the second screen react to the first choice if needed.

2 hours ago, MoarBoostersRUS said:

@xtoro Control-alt-delete 

been a while since I used Linux but I believe control-c also works 

edit: here's a link to ways to kill applications in Linux 

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-different-ways-to-end-unresponsive-programs-in-linux/

That only works in terminal programs.  I run KSP in openbox fullscreen and need to exit by exiting the game.  The only other alternative is to switch consoles (ALT+CTRL+F2) then login again by entering your username and password, and then issue a pkill command.  Which is almost as long as exiting the game normally, except your killing the process instead of letting it exit properly.

12 minutes ago, xtoro said:

That only works in terminal programs.  I run KSP in openbox fullscreen and need to exit by exiting the game.

Haven't used openbox in a while, but IIRC most window managers have global shortcuts. You could configure one to launch xkill.

16 hours ago, Confused Scientist said:

I, personally, enjoy the two-screen/switching animation system, and think one screen would be very cluttered.

Keep the two screens, and the slide, but the clickable things should not move.  Clicking "start" should change the menu items instantly, but you can have a slide in the background.
Many games do this, none of them actually slide the buttons in from off-screen - that's the only real problem here

I don't see what's so wrong with this:

eukf8y.png

It starts, you click resume and boom, you pick your save game and go.

All the other stuff like tutorials and scenarios can even go into a new menu called EXTRAS or something.  When was the last time anyone who's been playing a long time has used those?  It's been over 3 years since I've clicked on those.  I also have the community site bookmarked, don't need that, and don't need the addons link, all that is in my browser favorites.  There's just too much, and the useless/less used stuff can go on a 2nd menu...  Personally I also think the settings can go in a 2nd menu as well.  You only go into the settings a couple of time when you first set it up and then there's no point ever going into it again.

It's about aesthetics and logic, as much as convenience.  Menus for any kind of program are easier to use and flow better when it's laid out logically with the least amount of clicks, and the least used items are pushed back in favor of the ones that are always used.

Edited by xtoro

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.