Can we get a single-page start screen?

I never saw this asked before, and I checked the commonly asked questions already...

Can we get away from this 2-page start screen?  Having to click "Start game" and then "Resume" etc... Can't we have it all on one screen?  The worst is when something comes up so I'm trying to exit quickly and it goes back to the "Start New/Resume"' screen, then click on back, and it slowly scrolls back over to where I can hit "Quit".

Can we have this all on one screen now?  It makes it slower.  Or, at the very least, ditch, or have the option to ditch the animation from screen-to-screen.

4 hours ago, The Aziz said:

F5 to save, alt+F4 to quit

It saves me minutes every time

I've been playing KSP for 4+ years now and less than 1% of the time I go to the main menu to close the game. Just hit the X button to close the game (noting I play in windowed mode but that's still possible with alt+f4 as Aziz said.

On 14/10/2017 at 12:09 AM, The Aziz said:

F5 to save, alt+F4 to quit

It saves me minutes every time

On 14/10/2017 at 4:23 AM, ZooNamedGames said:

I've been playing KSP for 4+ years now and less than 1% of the time I go to the main menu to close the game. Just hit the X button to close the game (noting I play in windowed mode but that's still possible with alt+f4 as Aziz said.

On 14/10/2017 at 4:42 AM, MiffedStarfish said:

I hardly ever close like that, most of the time I’ll just save the craft I’m working on, press windows button and click “close tab”.

I play fullscreen, and in Linux, you can't ALT+F4 the game closed.  It's also not good to terminal terminate programs improperly.  Open files, like your persist file can get corupted.

All I ask for is a single start screen. Should be pretty easy to do...

Edited by xtoro
Correcting the autocorrect

I’ve been doing it since I’ve downloaded ksp 3-4 years ago, and I’ve never noticed a negative effect. It would be pretty handy to have a button like that though, but I think it would be better to have an exit to windows (or whatever OS) on the Space Center back screen, I quite like the layout of the start screen.

On 10/13/2017 at 3:24 PM, xtoro said:

I never saw this asked before, and I checked the commonly asked questions already...

Can we get away from this 2-page start screen?  Having to click "Start game" and then "Resume" etc... Can't we have it all on one screen?  The worst is when something comes up so I'm trying to exit quickly and it goes back to the "Start New/Resume"' screen, then click on back, and it slowly scrolls back over to where I can hit "Quit".

Can we have this all on one screen now?  It makes it slower.  Or, at the very least, ditch, or have the option to ditch the animation from screen-to-screen.

Hmm. I've never really thought of this as a problem. I'm not opposed to a single-screen solution. I'm just not really in support of it either. I guess I'm good with either being the case.

On 10/14/2017 at 11:53 PM, xtoro said:

All I ask for is a single start screen. Should be pretty easy to do...

Key phrase detected, run program: red_flag_protocol.exe
Statement: "Should be pretty easy to do..."
Response: "Then do it yourself"

-------
In all seriousness, I'm sure if you were able to drum up enough support for this someone would build a mod. I'm just not sure if this is something that absolutely has to be stock. There are bigger fish to fry at the moment than a graphical overhaul of the main menu screen(s).

On 10/13/2017 at 2:24 PM, xtoro said:

I agree, a single screen makes for a better user experience. The mere existence of work-arounds, and so many people showing up to illustrate their work-arounds, should indicate that this is a problem.

10 hours ago, Greenfire32 said:

Key phrase detected, run program: red_flag_protocol.exe
Statement: "Should be pretty easy to do..."
Response: "Then do it yourself"

I wish I had the skills. :P *

From the top of my ignorance this seem to be a case of dev motto "not broken, don't fix" in action. 

*notice the implication: from my perspective is not easy at all, is impossible. 

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who would like to see this.

There IS a mod that lets you exit quickly called "quickexit", however, I wonder just how this works, and how cleanly it's forcing KSP to exit.  As a programmer, I like clean code, and hate workarounds and tricks.  I would much rather see this done stock in the original source code.

I would still also like the single-screen for starting the game faster as well...  I know some have joked at me doing it myself, but the last thing I want to do when I get home start a new programming project.  I have enough of those lol

18 hours ago, Spricigo said:

From the top of my ignorance this seem to be a case of dev motto "not broken, don't fix" in action. 

Except that it is broken. People wouldn't be listing their workarounds or go through the trouble of making mods if the UX/UI experience was so good.

While  this ranks lower on the list than exploding landing gears it still needs to be fixed. And since it's not a bug, it never will get fixed. Unless somebody puts it in as a bug. Come to think of it, I might just do that. "Extraordinary amount of mouse clicks required to start or finish the game." Also, it's perfectly reproducible :) 

47 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Except that it is broken. People wouldn't be listing their workarounds or go through the trouble of making mods if the UX/UI experience was so good.

While  this ranks lower on the list than exploding landing gears it still needs to be fixed. And since it's not a bug, it never will get fixed. Unless somebody puts it in as a bug. Come to think of it, I might just do that. "Extraordinary amount of mouse clicks required to start or finish the game." Also, it's perfectly reproducible :) 

Please define “broken”.

You may not like it, but it is not broken.  It works, and as far as I know has never had a problem in this area.

31 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Please define “broken”.

You may not like it, but it is not broken.  It works, and as far as I know has never had a problem in this area.

Users are coming up with workarounds, up to the point of making mods. A workaround indicates that something is not working the way it should work.

It's not broken as in "crash to desktop," but rather in the same way as a door handle that you need to push has a sign that says "pull." The door works just fine. How would you react to building management saying "The door works fine, so there's no need to replace the sign?"

Currently the game has a totally pointless two-tier start screen. It's annoying, and likely grounded in the early development of the game when there was nothing to show, “so let's make the start screen do something.” That might not be the origin of this byzantine structure, it certainly breathes the atmosphere of it.

Developer attitude: “I think it works just fine. No reason to change it.”
Reality check: If your users have a problem with it, it's not fine and it needs fixing. In the end, the decision "this works fine" should lay with the users, not the developers; otherwise you end up with bad interfaces (developer: "it's not my fault they click the wrong button." Well, yes, it is, because you did a bad job on designing a clumsy interface that encourages wrong actions)

Edited by Kerbart
clarify, clarify, clarify

I am not aware of a game or program with somebody feels could be improved in one form or another. That being said, that doesn't mean that the game or program is broken.

The fact that you and a few others do things differently, or want to do things differently, does not mean the game or the interface is broken. The interface has main page and then a second page each page has a very specific function.

I'm not disagreeing with you regarding the fact that it could be improved. However, "needing Improvement" is different from "broken".

By your definition, anyone who uses mods would consider a game to be broken, because they dislike something in the way the game is working.

Let's not get into a discussion about KSP in general, some people would definitely consider that the game is broken as a whole.

2 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Except that it is broken.

Maybe. In any case, I really don't think that debate will be productive.

I'd rather discuss the possibilities/difficulties for improvements. 

Are the devs aware of the 'issue'? (They think is a issue? Should it be report in the bugtracker?) How many players are 'affected'? (IOW who cares?) How much works is necessary? Is that something a mod may solve? Should devs still look into it after a mod solution?

With all confidence only an ignorant can have, my opinion:

The extra page in the start screen is a unnecessary barrier to get into the game most players want to be removed. There's no apparent technical reason to not remove that barrier except the typical work related to any feature/issue. The non-technical reason it's not solved yet is an inaccurate perception that this wouldn't be such noticeable improvement.

Yet again: this is just my very speculative opnion.

3 hours ago, Spricigo said:

The extra page in the start screen is a unnecessary barrier to get into the game most players want to be removed. There's no apparent technical reason to not remove that barrier except the typical work related to any feature/issue. The non-technical reason it's not solved yet is an inaccurate perception that this wouldn't be such noticeable improvement

What makes you think that “all players” or even a large number of players want this removed?

Have you done any surveys? Have you seen a large number of players complaining about this?

Please post some links to other threads with people are complaining about this. 

It would be nice to know what sort of number of people would be interested in getting this removed. 

Edited by linuxgurugamer

4 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

If the existence of a mod to change something means it's broken, then the entire game is broken. And not just KSP. Most any game with more than 10 players.

Not all sheep are black doesn't mean all sheep are not black.

The point was that the behavior of the menu screens is annoying enough for someone to write a mod to "fix it." That doesn't mean every mod is intended to fix unwanted behavior.

What you did was a cheap shot and you know it.

This seems like laziness talking. To start the game you have to click a button what 3 times? And as was stated originally to close F5( or whatever your quick save button is {Mine is / I like to be different}) then alt-F4 or just hit windows button then close from the start bar. Really don't see why your complaining.

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

What you did was a cheap shot and you know it.

You said that a mod indicates the game is broken and needs fixed. I'm saying that's not true.

For what it's worth I agree with you about the menus. While they're at it, I wish they'd remove the stupid slide in from the side so I could click the menus that I do want to be there quicker.

35 minutes ago, mattinoz said:

Wait there is a Mod to skip all the front end?

Can it say just open the last saved game as well that would be choice?

See in particular "quick start" and "quick exit"

11 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What makes you think that “all players” or even a large number of players want this removed?

Have you done any surveys? Have you seen a large number of players complaining about this? 

That is why I included a two warnings it is an opinion. I have no evidence/data for more than assumptions.

And no, I don't think assumptions are enough to justify changing the start screen(or anything).

In any case, is a hypothesis to work with. A point to consider and look for actual info that corroborate or deny it.

Maybe in a few days we may have some info there:

Edited by Spricigo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.