KSP Weekly: The Eridania Region

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_oxs592gaNf1rr2wit_540.png

Welcome to KSP Weekly everyone. Continuing with the Martian craze, an exciting article published in Nature Communications back in July has started to get some well-deserved attention. A research team led by Joseph Michalski from the University of Hong Kong looked at huge deposits left in a basin called Eridania on southern Mars, using the NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO), which is currently in orbit around the planet. These deposits seem to have been formed by heated water as a result of volcanic activity 3.7 billion years ago, suggesting they formed near hydrothermal vents at the bottom of a sea. The basin would’ve hold a 500 to 1,500 meters deep sea with a volume of 210,000 cubic kilometers; holding as much as 10 times more water than all of the American Great Lakes combined and bigger than any landlocked body of water on Earth. The combined evidence of water and volcanic activity in the form of hydrothermal vents is what makes this discovery so important. This provided conditions that were similar to the ones that existed on Earth at about the same time – when early life was evolving here, but our active crust has erased most of this evidence from our beginnings, so this site can tell us about the type of environment where life may have begun on our planet too. The Eridania seafloor deposits will definitely be a place of interest for deeper Mars exploration, where evidence of life on Mars could be found, but also a place where we could learn about our own origins. Now let’s move on to other exciting news… KSP development!

[Development news start here]

This week we’ll start off with the Making History Expansion. As things come together, the team has been sewing up the seams so everything makes sense and works as it should. The work on the expansion’s architecture and the organizational task, like working out what items we need to make sure are listed in the to-do assignments, is crucial for the success of the project. The team also worked on the validation system that will be placed in the Mission Builder to help identify for the creator where any potential issue may be. This test system will definitely come in handy when designing missions.

The team worked on a feature that will allow mission creators to set vessel specific settings to the Vessel Node. These, as an example, could include restrictions to the parts that a player could use in a specific mission, i.e., parts that are available, unavailable and/or required. But also the maximum dimensions, weight and resources that can be used on a vessel, just to name a few.

The artistic side of the development had its share of progress, too. The team has been working in generating the UI design for the Nodes inside the Mission Builder. Additionally, the artists finished with our Gemini-like Service Module. Here’s a sneak peek. We hope you like it. Naturally, with all these new parts and work on the Mission Builder’s node system, the testers haven’t been short of tasks to ensure that everything works as it should. In previous issues, we’ve talked about the different Node types that are going to be included and a few specific nodes, now we’ll take this opportunity to get a bit more into detail about some of  the nodes that are already implemented and have been tested by the team, so you’ll get a wider picture of how you’ll be able to use them (remember that this is still subject to changes):

• Message Node (Action type): This node will allow you to display custom screen messages to the player at a given point during a mission.
  • Time Since Node (Logic type): This node will allow you to set a specific time frame since a given node was activated. For example you could have a mission player perform an action like planting a flag and then have to wait some seconds before continuing with the next task.
  • Reach Altitude Node (Location type): This node will allow you to set the altitude that a vessel has to reach at a specific moment.
  • Vessel Crashed Node (Location type): This node will be activated once a specified vessel has crashed.
  • Vessel Landed Node (Location type): This node will allow you to set the objective of landing a vessel on a specific body, biome, or at a given area, you’ll be able to pinpoint.
  • Vessel Flying Node (Location type): This node will be activated once a specified vessel is detected to be flying. For example if a vessel is grounded, the test won’t be completed until you launch it and start flying.
  • Reach SOI Node (Location type): This node will allow you to set the goal of reaching a celestial body’s Sphere of Influence and it will trigger once the player enters that SOI.
  • Plant Flag Node (Location type): This node is pretty self-explanatory, it will allow mission creators the ability to set the objective of planting a flag on a selected body, biome or at given coordinates.

Moving on, the work on the console version of KSP continues and we’ll keep you informed and updated when we have news on these versions entering the certification process. The reason why it has taken so long is because we’ve been crafting these versions from scratch so we can deliver a product that will live to the expectations of our players. In the past few months we have been focusing in ensuring that the game performs, looks and plays as it should. And whenever the expert eyes of our QA find some bugs, our friends at Blitworks go straight into the code and fix the issues, which at this point are mostly minor.

Finally, we remind you that you still have another week to participate in our latest KSP Challenge - Brick from Orbit Challenge. So go check it out and share your creations!

That’s it for this week. Be sure to join us on our official forums, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Stay tuned for more exciting and upcoming news and development updates!

Happy launchings!

PD: Do you want to help the victims of the Earthquakes in Mexico? You can do so by donating to any of these non-profit institutions. Your contributions will make a huge difference:

32 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

I think that the Gemini SM's top should be smaller than the bottom, making a cone-ish shape.

Aye, might be a bit interesting if it was set up to be some sort of size adapter style part.  like a 1.25->1.875 or a 1.875->2.5 kind of thing.

2 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

I think that the Gemini SM's top should be smaller than the bottom, making a cone-ish shape.

There's a reason they called it:

2 hours ago, SQUAD said:
[...] our Gemini-like Service Module [...]

... and not just "Gemini Service Module." It's kerbalized historical referencing.

If you want something a bit more faithful, look at actual historical mods like @CobaltWolf's Bluedog Design Bureau.

43 minutes ago, StahnAileron said:

There's a reason they called it:

... and not just "Gemini Service Module." It's kerbalized historical referencing.

If you want something a bit more faithful, look at actual historical mods like @CobaltWolf's Bluedog Design Bureau.

And its worth noting that ours only works because there is another intermediate size in the mod - 1.5m, which is used for enough other stuff in BDB that it isn't super out of place. If you're only trying to keep it to 1.25, 1.875, and 2.5m there isn't really a good way to model it as a frustrum. 

One thing that I just thought of... Will we get a 1.875m SRB?

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

sneak_peek.png

Thought you might find this amusing. :)

LOL!

That guy ... genius.

12 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

And its worth noting that ours only works because there is another intermediate size in the mod - 1.5m, which is used for enough other stuff in BDB that it isn't super out of place. If you're only trying to keep it to 1.25, 1.875, and 2.5m there isn't really a good way to model it as a frustrum. 

One thing that I just thought of... Will we get a 1.875m SRB?

I'm hoping for 1.875m hollow parts as well.

9 hours ago, SQUAD said:

tumblr_inline_oxs592gaNf1rr2wit_540.png

Moving on, the work on the console version of KSP continues and we’ll keep you informed and updated when we have news on these versions entering the certification process. The reason why it has taken so long is because we’ve been crafting these versions from scratch so we can deliver a product that will live to the expectations of our players. In the past few months we have been focusing in ensuring that the game performs, looks and plays as it should. And whenever the expert eyes of our QA find some bugs, our friends at Blitworks go straight into the code and fix the issues, which at this point are mostly minor.

Ooooo! Though they haven't yet entered, they mentioned certification process!

Is it too early to be excited?

Edited by Broke dead dogg

Neat - so what are the diameters of these Gemini parts?

Capsule (0.625m -> 1.875m) SM (1.875m -> 2.5m)? Or
Capsule (0.625m -> 1.25m) SM (1.25m -> 1.875m?) 

Or is the pictured service module a conventional cylinder at a consistent 1.875m diameter, with an adapter planned to sit on top of it to give it the "bell" shape? Those renders are playing tricks with my eyes :) 

9 hours ago, Kosmonaut said:

I mean most of the Great Lakes are here in Canada... they should be the Canadian Great Lakes!

It's getting a little off-topic, but other than Lake Michigan, aren't the Great Lakes sort of 50/50 between Canada and the US? I have to agree with @StrandedonEarth:

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

North American Great Lakes.

Edited by Just Jim

One of the things that I did for MOLE is make 1.875m SRB segments that let you build boosters of varying length:

UAlBEgV.png

Each booster is made of three segments and the engine in this case. The downside is that I had to make my own SRM fuel to get the flow to work. Also, the engine thrust is fixed- more segments could increase burning surface area and increase thrust. If the expansion made SolidFuel flow like LFO- but kept to the parts attached to the engine- and adjusted engine thrust based on the number and type of segments in the booster, that would give DLC users the ability to make some interesting SRB designs. :)

The other thing I did is make a "Wet Workshop" option for MOLE's station parts:

w97mL8u.png

Wet Workshop was a concept from NASA that would drain the fuel tank of propellant and convert it to a station module. For MOLE, several parts have that ability, but the downside is that they still hold crew in addition to the propellant. Despawning the IVA apparently isn't enough to hide the crew slots, nor is programmatically reducing the part’s crew capacity when in the editor. The DLC could open up some interesting possibilities if it had wet workshop parts- but ones that hid the crew selection slots while still letting mods like KIS add inventories. Maybe some new game event that tells you when crew capacity changed could be utilized to do that. The game already has ModuleIsEnabled flags, so when that event fires, you could give that wet workshop additional functionality. :)

Edited by Angel-125

15 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Vessel Crashed Node (Location type): This node will be activated once a specified vessel has crashed.

Hi, wondering how  the system differentiates a crash from a heavy landing? Given that heavy landings are standard fare.  Crashed = smashed into component parts.  Or crashed = broken antenna/landing leg, big difference.

5 minutes ago, Kosmonaut said:

@Angel-125... that's lovely, and very cool, but this is KSP Weekly, not What did you do in KSP today or MOLE Development thread

The point is that the DLC is looking nice and that with the talk of srbs and such, there are suggestions on ways to add additional coolness to the expansion.

13 hours ago, Kosmonaut said:

I mean most of the Great Lakes are here in Canada... they should be the Canadian Great Lakes!

I hate to disagree,  but...

All of the great lakes are shared between the US and Canade, except for Lkae Michigan, which is completely in the US.  In fact, if you looked at a map, you would see the boundary between the countries is down the middle of the lakes

So, a better term would be North American Great Lakes

Edited by linuxgurugamer

19 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Additionally, the artists FINISHED with our Gemini-like Service Module. Here’s a sneak peek.

*emphasis mine

@Badie can you confirm that they mean finished finished or was this a typo/slip of the tongue? Cause if it is "finished" this seriously looks cheap and lazy if not sloppy. I sincerely hope this isn't actually reflective of what we can expect from "finished" work.

*Crackle* *Beep* Mission Control, this is Orbiter. Please tell the boys and girls in Development thanks for their hard work. Orbiter out. *Crackle*

16 hours ago, Kosmonaut said:

7 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

North American Great Lakes.

6 hours ago, Just Jim said:

It's getting a little off-topic, but other than Lake Michigan, aren't the Great Lakes sort of 50/50 between Canada and the US? I have to agree with @StrandedonEarth:

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

All of the great lakes are shared between the US and Canade, except for Lkae Michigan, which is completely in the US.  In fact, if you looked at a map, you would see the boundary between the countries is down the middle of the lakes

So, a better term would be North American Great Lakes

Folks, the correct and most complete term is the Laurentian Great Lakes (refering to Laurentia, the craton on which modern North America resides). Lookie here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurentia

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.