Your Favorite Anime

Mukita12

• 1 month later...

Ok, I'm sorry to be posting in a dead thread, but I hope to revive it... I just thought I'd chime in.

Currently my favorite anime is "High School Fleet", also known as Haifuri. I've got 3 more episodes of HSF to watch before I start on "A Place Beyond The Universe" and then on to "Girls und Panzer" and then that one with the girls training to become astronauts, I forget the name.

Hmmm... in no particular order, off the top of my head:

Planetes - because it manages the holy trifecta of scratching my space geek itch, pulling off properly hard sci-fi without trying to rub it in your face, and still managing to make the story about the characters and not the setting or the tech. The characters also happen to be a socially and ethnically diverse group with depth and a wide variety of motivations and flaws. To top it off, this is a TV series with OAV production values, despite completely eschewing typical revenue-generating otaku tropes - which, if you know anything about the anime industry at all, is an insane concept. It's hard to believe that this show was even greenlit for production in this form, much less managed to run an entire 26 episodes without cuts or compromises. Everything about this show screams "labor of love", and the result is without a doubt one of the best manga adaptions ever produced.

Full Metal Alchemist - whether you prefer the original adaption or the Brotherhood reboot matters little. This franchise has consistently turned out top quality shounen action with an engaging story in a unique setting. Never seen anything with this name on the title that I did not enjoy watching.

Studio Ghibli's movies - A cornerstone of Japanese animation history. Characters that all ages can relate to equally, uncompromising top notch production values, a mix of totally unique settings with a few intentionally re-occuring recognizable elements, an effortless blending of realism and high fantasy... and what perhaps impresses me most of all about them is the way they somehow always manage to leave you with the feeling of having witnessed something bright, friendly, and warm.

Suisei no Gargantia - The trope of a person bred to be the perfect soldier from birth and then suddenly being exposed to and having to deal with normal civilian life is fairly popular in anime. And almost exclusively, it's played for laughs. This series, though, plays it completely straight. And what's more - it manages to make it believable. The character has a firm idea of how the world works, has to come to terms with the fact that this no longer applies, and eventually manages to reconcile his past experiences with his new life through rational thought and the uncovering of an unexpected, very uncomfortable truth about the war he was raised to fight in.

Monster - Can you survive 74 episodes of nailbiting psychothriller? Find out in this story about a Japanese surgeon living in Germany, who goes out of his way to save a child's life, only to have that decision inadvertedly allowed a spiral of events to continue that many years later will result in one of the most unapologetically disturbing chains of mass murder you'll have ever witnessed. And I mean disturbing on a psychological level. The show largely eschews needless gore, as if to say: what a primitive, cheap method of creating shock. We don't need that. Johan Liebert's polite smile is so much worse than any amount of bloodspatter. And guess what? They're right...

Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th M.S. Team - The Gundam franchise is one of the poster childs for anime in general, but when examined closely, few of the series are actually truly good - they often have problems with weird characters and plot railroading. This installment, though, avoids both of that, as well as any needlessly epic world saving story. Instead it chronicles the exploits of a single company of bog standard people in bog standard mechs fighting in some godforsaken corner of the world. And in doing so, it manages to be more interesting, likable and believable than any of the main series about superhuman heroes in iconic mechs. That it is really well animated (for its time) helps a lot, as well.

Princess Tutu - Yes, it's really called that. Yes, it's a magical girl show about ballet dancing. Yes, the style looks like it is targeted at young children. Yes, you absolutely, positively want to watch this show. You don't exactly notice when it starts... but at some point, you suddenly realize that it has been going off on a completely different tangent for a while already. Possibly even since the first episode. You scratch your head. You wonder what this show is actually, really about, underneath it all. You have no choice but to continue watching, as it gets darker and weirder, mixes genres, changes direction repeatedly, and ultimately ends up serving you a rivetting grand finale that is flat-out impossible to describe to anyone who hasn't seen the show. And afterwards, you realize that you now have a newfound appreciation for classical music. This is a show I recommend to anyone who needs a lesson in not judging books by their cover.

I could probably do ten or fifteen more like these, but this'll have to do for a start. Hope you'll all find something new to try and enjoy on this list :)

Some content has been removed from this thread.

As a reminder, please refrain from publicly calling for moderator action. If you see something you think is in violation of forum guidelines, please hit the report button and leave it at that. :)

• 1 year later...
On 2/27/2018 at 5:47 PM, Streetwind said:

Studio Ghibli's movies - A cornerstone of Japanese animation history.

I never thought films that are only ~100 mins long could be so good.

My current favourite so far is The Wind Rises, but maybe that's because I'm learning to be an engineer...

On 2/28/2018 at 4:55 AM, TheKSPBeginner said:

I hate Japanimation!

Given that they're based on old western animations, I bet you must've not knowingly liked one. I have to agree that a lot of the current stuff are just... not good.

Edited by YNM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.