Your Favorite Anime

Mukita12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHjlQ5DG7KM

re-creator aside the shonen heavy aspect, it bring some interesting socio-psycho stuff concern along the story in the mid-background

(not really a favorite, but the socio-psycho relativistics backstage approach aspects, well it bring a lot of relativism, a lot)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

Too many to pick a favorite (In no particular order):

Death Note (stopped watching the live action Netflix production 30 minutes in.  Just couldn't deal with it.  The Japanese live action is better)

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (original FMA was good as well, but I prefer when an anime follows the manga)

Everything Ghost in the Shell (and yes, I liked the live action Scarlett Johansen film as well)

Gantz (yes, I know it dies off - no pun intended - during the second half, but then, the manga tanked about 2/3 of the way through as well, although I did finish it.  Completist, here - except live action Death Note)

Elfen Lied

Escaflowne

Serial Experiments: Lain

Grave of the Fireflies

Eureka Seven

Hellsing Ultimate

TriGun

Cowboy Bebop

Beck (Mongolian Chop Squad)

Appleseed

Appleseed Ex Machina

Akira (this and the original GitS movie are probably tied for overall favorites)

Anything from Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli

Vexille

FLCL (aka: Fooly Cooly)

Witchblade

Space Brothers

Incomplete anime (as in still ongoing, as well as the manga.  At least, I think they're still ongoing):

Chihayafuru

Baby Steps

Edited by MaxxQ

Its always hard to choose a "best" when put on the spot.

But I just re-watched the Vampire Hunter D movies at the weekend and they are excellent joojoo.

Glad to see Trigun mentioned a few times, love that one too.

3 hours ago, MaxxQ said:

Everything Ghost in the Shell (and yes, I liked the live action Scarlett Johansen film as well)

I also thought the [live action] film was pretty good actually, I'd even go out on a limb and say it was quite faithful.

Though now that I think about it.....Ghost in the Shell might not be just a favorite, but it might be the best anime, full-stop. Next to Akira ofc.

this one is kinda fun/distracting  lately,  totally full of  (not/xor/and) out to date "cliche" about the rpg culture the last 20 years (wich may apply to mmo as well , ):

(square enix is part of the prod if remind wich is kinda amusing as well in itself)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

Other than the Last Airbender, and I'm not sure that counts, I really haven't watched too many Amine series... except one. I have a daughter, who is now 25, and is still is a die hard fan of this one... and when she was growing up I saw every episode countless times, including the movies... to the point I even got hooked.  :rolleyes:

Sorry... this is the only one I ever got into... :sticktongue:

I stopped watching anime around the time the first GITS movie came out; I was a big fan of Masamune Shirow's exported works (still have a raft of his Dark Horse comics packed up in the garage) and was always disgusted by what was done with his stories in film form. IIRC this was also around the time Tenchi Muyo (?), Evangelion, and a bunch of other fairly sub-par stuff following some pretty basic formulas that were ... vapid and terrible came out (or maybe I noticed that anime in general was pretty vapid and terrible), so I stopped renting/passing around all those VHS tapes and moved on to other things.

A few years later a friend turned me on to Initial D, which remains one of my favorite series just for being a different take on the samurai epic/hero journey. But other than that I'm pretty over it. Didn't even bother with stuff like Cowboy Bebop, which everyone claims is amazing but, like Firefly, I just can't be bothered to watch.

The Twelve Kingdoms is probably my favorite, though unfortunately it seems like few people have heard of it. The basic plot is in the same neighborhood as The Chronicles of Narnia, with perhaps a bit of Game of Thrones mixed in. The story is heavily character driven, and the first few episodes are confusing by design-- the protagonists have no idea what's going on, and so neither does the viewer. I have a feeling that a lot of people who do stumble onto Twelve Kingdoms don't make it past the first two or three episodes, and that is a shame.

The story can get quite dark at times, but never gratuitously so. It's been a while since I've thought about Twelve Kingdoms, and looking back on it now it seems like it probably had more influence on my writing than I thought it did. 

It looks like all the "trailers" with the original sound track have been scrubbed off YouTube, but, maybe this one. . .

I've been told the animation style is "old", and that can be off putting for some. I think the most recent release had some sort of digital art pass. . .at a glance, it seems like the biggest change was a more vibrant color palate. 

I can't say I watch much Anime, but Sword Art Online would be my hands down favourite. I seem to recall making it through most or all of the first season instead of sleeping when I found it. Watched the second season over a couple of days. Then I kind of wanted to watch it again, so I showed it to my housemate who likewise got hooked. She watched the second arc of season 1 after I called it a night because she 'couldn't wait until tomorrow night'.

Anyway, this is one of my favourite scenes. It's the conclusion of I think the 4th episode. It's a bit of a spoiler for that episode, but doesn't spoil any major plot points. I think it does a pretty good job of summing up who the main character is.

Heavy object: lots of scientific and hard sci-fi elements. An anime about when the war is decided by the battle between 50.000 ton war machine battling between each other with absolutely massive weapons (seriously, rocket-assisted shotgun artillery that's fired from gigantic railgun using clouds from missile launchers to reflect radar waves and provide targeting data?) interestingly, most of the time, the so-called objects is mostly destroyed by... a duo of new recuit using cunning and wits

Aoki hagane no arpeggio: mysterious ocean fleet known as fleet of fog appeared, conquering the oceans and drove humanity using superior firepower. With humanity being cut off from the sea, countries cannot see or know about each other. Its up to a single ship, the traitor ship of fleet of fog, the submarine I-401 to deliver the last hope of humanity through the hostile waters of the fog fleet

I'm not an anime-watcher, but I've seen some and I've seen (and joined, briefly or not) friends watching it. I remember SAO, this thing, some other things and some other weird things which titles I forgot. The only one I've watched completely (not fully, not wholy, mind) is Stein's Gate, which I didn't watch for the story, it was more for the opinions on the plot device.

I guess the biggest barrier is the language, and I don't quite like the stories and the portrayals I think, so yeah it's not very good.

I don't know. "Small, far away" perhaps.

ps @ARS speaking of heavy object, may i 39% rename it:

Disclaimer: weird words inside

Spoiler

Mobile Suit Ovum

:3 :3 :3 and while punnly sayin' that, kinda really really enjoyed some/many others aspect of the story and cara design/model sheet ; well well shonen ... sometime ; )

but still that specific leitmotiv was a bit "naively" & "periodically" too heavy (but while it fit somehow) amongst a certain amount of the episode

i really enjoyed it a years back, but i tend to say it's more for a younger audience than for elders due to that specific leitmotiv

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

:3 :3 :3 and while punnly sayin' that, kinda really really enjoyed some/many others aspect of the story and cara design/model sheet ; well well shonen ... sometime ; )

but still that specific TestRX was a bit "naively" & "periodically" too heavy (but while it fit somehow) amongst a certain amount of the episode

i really enjoyed it a years back, but i tend to say it's more for a younger audience than for elders due to that specific leitmotiv

Too many to choose from… At the moment, I'm loving My Hero Academia though. Certainly not the best of all time though, but it's decent.

Edited by Coutu

It's pretty hard to have a real favorite, I am thinking about Mardock Scramble, Perfect Blue or Wicked City (glorious!) are passing through my minds, without counting C.B and Planets already announced over.

On 10/16/2017 at 2:09 PM, Just Jim said:

and is still is a die hard fan of this one...

I, actually, got a friend of mine who is still at 24 totally seduced and crazy of Sailor Moon... but I should admit, I used to be crazy of Sailor Mercury as a kid (Mr. Freud would had enjoyed our cases).

• 3 weeks later...

In no perticular order ; lately mostly three (5 and a few others as well but well) in mind:

- (( fate:apochrypha )) since a few week, distracting

more recently, Junni taisen, i kinda like the first op cara design and how how each caracter is introduced // the story evolve so far

and, houseki no kuni, wich while being a bit weird and ovni is totally 101% full of poetry on many layers, also the androgyn aspect of the "main caracters" is ... well ... both disturbing and interesting ;

and finnally, inuyashiki, wich is pretty interesting on some dualtiy aspect with the same gift on different beings

and finnaly bis i definetely need too check the fresh new 2017 episode from mahou tsukai no yume (wich i missed time to do so yet) but as i really enyoyed the 2012/11 or so ones i really need to grab some time to watch the 2017s

((( following a few others as well but this are the latest  that just started being published to anime, fresh nice find let's say )))

btw @Randox i need to check sword art on line, kinda curious // the side by product, manga, anime and all, delaying this since a little while but this one is also on my mind somehow ^^

ps @ARS uodated the previous comment, it was a bit unclear i guess ^^

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

• 2 weeks later...

I really love Space Brothers (Uchuu Kyoudai), it's a brilliant, albeit cheesy, anime about astronaut training. It includes real life locations and spacecraft, so you'll probably like it if you like anime and are interested in modern spaceflight. It's also mostly realistic, which is nice. 

0a4b5c446528742807b5132c303a5e27--tattoo

Another cool space anime is Planetes, a story about space bin men. 

50463.jpg

That's only two, out of all the tens of anime I love. I thought I'd post them because most people here are probably into space shizz. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.