[1.9.x] RCS Build Aid Continued - New Dependencies

linuxgurugamer

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 0.9.7.5

• Fixed stock toolbar button from sometimes appearing on the Space Center scene

May take a little time for CKAN to see the update

Looks like some new issue after latest update

[LOG 19:05:54.018] Load(Texture): RCSBuildAid/Textures/iconAppLauncher
[WRN 19:05:54.021] Texture resolution is not valid for compression: 'C:\Games\KSP\GameData\RCSBuildAid\Textures\iconAppLauncher.png' - consider changing the image's width and height to enable compression
[LOG 19:05:54.022] Load(Texture): RCSBuildAid/Textures/iconAppLauncher_active
[LOG 19:05:54.025] Load(Texture): RCSBuildAid/Textures/iconToolbar
[LOG 19:05:54.029] Load(Texture): RCSBuildAid/Textures/iconToolbar_active

Button now missing in toolbar for me

9 minutes ago, banditsan said:

Looks like some new issue after latest update

[LOG 19:05:54.018] Load(Texture): RCSBuildAid/Textures/iconAppLauncher
[WRN 19:05:54.021] Texture resolution is not valid for compression: 'C:\Games\KSP\GameData\RCSBuildAid\Textures\iconAppLauncher.png' - consider changing the image's width and height to enable compression
[LOG 19:05:54.022] Load(Texture): RCSBuildAid/Textures/iconAppLauncher_active
[LOG 19:05:54.025] Load(Texture): RCSBuildAid/Textures/iconToolbar
[LOG 19:05:54.029] Load(Texture): RCSBuildAid/Textures/iconToolbar_active

Button now missing in toolbar for me

I'm not getting it, and that error can't happen in the current version;  it happens when the stock toolbar loads the images, but the ToolbarController is what's loading the image.

First, please reinstall it, and then provide a complete log file;  as I've said many times, snippits, while sometimes useful, are not the same as a complete file, there is other information in the file which would have helped me identify the issue

This mod led to my favorite 'derp' moments in KSP.  I use the Mandatory RCS mod so, while building a probe, I made sure to add 4 Place-Anywhere 7 Linear RCS Ports at 90 degrees, since that was all I had.  I used RCS Build Aid to make sure they were center mass and had no torque. Just before launch, I realized that I had screwed up!  I wasn't going to have full tanks on that stage so center mass would be different. I dropped the tanks to half full and repositioned the RCS to center mass.  All went well until, in orbit, I found I had had no RCS steering.  I use kOS, so I assumed the problem was in my script.   It took an embarrassingly long time before I realized that I couldn't use RCS to steer because I had deliberately set it up for no torque. Derp!

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm not getting it, and that error can't happen in the current version;  it happens when the stock toolbar loads the images, but the ToolbarController is what's loading the image.

First, please reinstall it, and then provide a complete log file;  as I've said many times, snippits, while sometimes useful, are not the same as a complete file, there is other information in the file which would have helped me identify the issue

I was getting this error today after upgrading to the new RCS Build Aid (no icon in stock launcher).  Removing all my mods, clearing GameData of non-Squad directories, and reinstalling solved this.  (Managing most of my mods via CKAN helps to do this.)  That may be more than is required to resolve this cruft issue block RCS Build Aid, but this should fix things, as it did for me.

And now I see that after going to flight and reverting one or more times, the RCS Build Aid icon disappeared from the stock launcher.  Logs on Dropbox and screenshot in the spoiler showing RCS Build Aid detected by Toolbar Controller and not hidden by Janitor's Closet.  When I exit the game and restart, the RCS Build Aid icon is back, but will disappear again after going to flight one or more times.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/el09vuyceq5a7vt/20190314b.RCSBuildAid.no-icon.zip?dl=1

Spoiler

ejSbRSx.png

Edited by Jacke

New release, 0.9.7.6

• Removed unnecessary AppLauncher method
  • Moved toolbar creation into main RCSBuildAid method, fixes the button disappearing after going into flight scene
  • Removed disabled code related to old toolbar management

@Jacke this should fix your problem

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ThePhoenixSol said:

@linuxgurugamer what button do i press to open up that info window? i click the icon and it starts displaying the visuals, but the info window doesnt popup. daguy told me it was right click. but that has not worked. i tried a stock install as well. so i feel im just not pressing the right button

Do you have the dependencies installed?  Do you see the button in the toolbar?

If the dependencies aren't installed,  it won't work:

New Dependencies

The button looks like a circle with an arrow going through the middle, is white when off and light green when on 

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Do you have the dependencies installed?  Do you see the button in the toolbar?

If the dependencies aren't installed,  it won't work:

New Dependencies

The button looks like a circle with an arrow going through the middle, is white when off and light green when on 

yes i had them installed. i got it fixed, because it wasnt just this mod, but your krash mod as well... i re-installed the 2 dependencies AGAIN. and it fixed it this time. idk what the issue was, if i had one out of date or what. but i got it working now

9 minutes ago, ThePhoenixSol said:

yes i had them installed. i got it fixed, because it wasnt just this mod, but your krash mod as well... i re-installed the 2 dependencies AGAIN. and it fixed it this time. idk what the issue was, if i had one out of date or what. but i got it working now

Great, thanks for following up

• 4 weeks later...

It would be neat if this mod could give readouts for acceleration and angular acceleration, not just thrust and torque. That would help figure out not just where to put the thrusters, but also give a meaningful gauge for how much oomph you need.

• 1 month later...

Hello, thank you so much for your work. Recently RCS Build Aid and Better Time Warp are not showing up in the toolbar.

Neither is the drop down menu in the top left for BTWarp.

I have reinstalled 000_ClickThroughBlocker, 000_Toolbar, and 001_ToolbarControl.

Other mods seem to be working properly: KER, Docking Indicator, KAC

Using most recent KSP 1.7.2

Thank you for your support! 

Edited by User852

On 6/17/2019 at 3:25 AM, User852 said:

Hello, thank you so much for your work. Recently RCS Build Aid and Better Time Warp are not showing up in the toolbar.

Neither is the drop down menu in the top left for BTWarp.

I have reinstalled 000_ClickThroughBlocker, 000_Toolbar, and 001_ToolbarControl.

Other mods seem to be working properly: KER, Docking Indicator, KAC

Using most recent KSP 1.7.2

Thank you for your support! 

Make sure you have all the depenencies, including the UnBlur mod (new dependency)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much for continuing this mod and for the great work.

I have a minor issue, CKAN is not showing this mod as compatible with KSP 1.7.2 because one of the dependencies isn't.

Toolbar Controller is only registered as compatible with 1.7.1

Sorry for the inconvenience

21 minutes ago, Numfuddle said:

Thank you very much for continuing this mod and for the great work.

I have a minor issue, CKAN is not showing this mod as compatible with KSP 1.7.2 because one of the dependencies isn't.

Toolbar Controller is only registered as compatible with 1.7.1

Sorry for the inconvenience

Well, tell ckan to accept all 1.7 mods.

1 hour ago, Numfuddle said:

Well seems like they heard you. They accepted a whole load of new mods today (most of them by you BTW)

No, I mean tell your local ckan program to accept the 1.7 mods as compatible

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 3 weeks later...

I can't find any placement of RCS thrusters on my Mun lander and docking craft that will get rid of that red torque arrow.  Am I screwed as far as this design is concerned?  Because when I've tried to dock I always get some stupid twisting.  Do you see some way I could alleviate that torque I haven't noticed?  The red arrow is bad right?

fnxireQ.jpg

6 minutes ago, jpinard said:

I can't find any placement of RCS thrusters on my Mun lander and docking craft that will get rid of that red torque arrow.  Am I screwed as far as this design is concerned?  Because when I've tried to dock I always get some stupid twisting.  Do you see some way I could alleviate that torque I haven't noticed?  The red arrow is bad right?

fnxireQ.jpg

More RCS quads on the bottom, the build aid window says you have [a lot of] torque. 

Or move the top quads closer to CoM so they don’t have as much leverage. 

1 minute ago, Jognt said:

More RCS quads on the bottom, the build aid window says you have [a lot of] torque. 

Or move the top quads closer to CoM so they don’t have as much leverage. 

Thanks for answering :)  

Moving the top quads doesn't change how much of that torque is added no matter how far or close to CoM it is.  WHen you say add more quads on bottom do you mean another quad right above it?  When I switched it from symmetrical 4 to 6 or 8, it didn't change torque either.

5 hours ago, jpinard said:

Thanks for answering :)  

Moving the top quads doesn't change how much of that torque is added no matter how far or close to CoM it is.  WHen you say add more quads on bottom do you mean another quad right above it?  When I switched it from symmetrical 4 to 6 or 8, it didn't change torque either.

Then you should check your console for errors.

It's not physically possible to change the distance of the RCS lever arm (which is what you do when you move RCS closer to or further away from center of mass) and not see a change in torque.

Also, suggestion, don't use the capsule RCS. Use only what you need to for each RCS situation (translation, attitude, etc)

(and yes, the red circle arrow is bad when translating)

8 hours ago, jpinard said:

I'm guessing that's because the rest of the RCS that's active doesn't move and that has greater impact, reducing the effect of moving just 1 set of RCS quads.

To get this right, I think more information is needed.  As well, you need to use more of the tools in RCS Build Aid, specifically the CoM for max and min resources as well as their average.

Is this a direct ascent Mun lander+return+reentry spacecraft?  Is the lower stage left behind on lift-off from Mun?

For some applications like the active vehicle in close rendezvous and docking, highly balanced RCS helps a lot as you don't get stray translation from turning and stray turning from translation.

For landers, I like to have more balanced RCS on the ascent stage.  On the descent stage, you can normally get away with less balanced RCS.

The first step is as others have mentioned, disabling the capsule RCS jets.  Use an action group to turn them on and off and leave them off until finally staging for re-entry.

Next, minimize CoM movement over resource consumption, mostly by moving the resource tanks closer to the CoM if possible.  You can do this for each stage, again with the ascent stage being more important that the descent stage.

Next, balance the RCS for the ascent stage only.  Then add back the descent stage and rebalance only its RCS to minimize straying.

I suggest using a tool like Hyperedit for testing to take a spacecraft only to Mun orbit for testing for you to get the hang of how the design in the VAB will fly without going through the details of a flight.