[1.9.x] RCS Build Aid Continued - New Dependencies

linuxgurugamer

The most recent update (actually I think one update before the current one (current one is 0.9.7)) caused an error on install via CKAN. Something about name length? Can't recall specifics. Forced me to have to reinstall everything because KSP would crash while loading.

Now everything is reinstalled and works, but RCS Build Aid does not show up in the toolbar anymore. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling RCS Build Aid and did not change the outcome. I can live without it, but just wanted to let you know there's some kind of error going on. I don't get any warning messages or any indication there's a problem, just the toolbar button doesn't show up, neither in the stock toolbar nor blizzy's.

4 minutes ago, Boersgard said:

The most recent update (actually I think one update before the current one (current one is 0.9.7)) caused an error on install via CKAN. Something about name length? Can't recall specifics. Forced me to have to reinstall everything because KSP would crash while loading.

Now everything is reinstalled and works, but RCS Build Aid does not show up in the toolbar anymore. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling RCS Build Aid and did not change the outcome. I can live without it, but just wanted to let you know there's some kind of error going on. I don't get any warning messages or any indication there's a problem, just the toolbar button doesn't show up, neither in the stock toolbar nor blizzy's.

Did you look in the ToolbarController window (the yellow wrench) to see if it is enabled?

I also don't get the icon anymore since version 0.9.6.4 (I think). Doesn't matter which toolbar I select in Toolbar controller (I tried all options).
I'm using RCS Build aid 0.9.7, Toolbar 1.7.17.11, Toolbar controller 0.1.6.7, KSP 1.4.3 and over 100 other mods.

I also tried a clean install and there both Toolbar and RCS Build Aid are not working (Toolbar is working in my modded install though).

Do you need the log files?

Edited by boribori

New release, 0.9.7.1:

• Fixed race condition where sometimes the toolbar was being created before it was registered, causing it to not show up

A short explanation is in order here:

First, a definition (from Wikipedia):

A race condition or race hazard is the behavior of an electronics, software, or other system where the output is dependent on the sequence or timing of other uncontrollable events. It becomes a bug when events do not happen in the order the programmer intended.

What happened is that in my testing, it worked fine on my system, in my test environments.  What I didn't realize is that there were two  classes which were being instantiated at the same time (at the MainMenu), one of which depended on the other to be completed.  So sometimes one completed first, and sometimes the other completed first.  This is totally random, although it can be influenced by many unknown factors.  This is why it was working for me, and not for other people.

Once I saw the reports, I created a clean install to test it, and was able to replicate the problem about half the time,  That gave me something to work with, and I was able to track this down and fix it.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What I didn't realize is that there were two  classes which were being instantiated at the same time (at the MainMenu), one of which depended on the other to be completed

ugh hate these. Had to deal with the same problem for my Ops Tracker website since it does asynchronous AJAX calls and sometimes the site would just not load properly but it was only a few times out of many. Turned out sometimes the one call that was dependent on the other was returned just a few milliseconds too late :P

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:12 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

So the only thing that I found was a readout showing the offset between the dry and wet COM.  Is that what you are referring to?  If so, I am adding that back in.  It was originally just the magnitude, I'm adding in that and the individual offsets as well

That is precisely what I was talking about. Thank you! You are a godsend to this community! :cool:

3 minutes ago, Mathrilord said:

0.9.7.1 doesn't work for me, 0.9.6.3 does (did not test version between)

Make sure you have the latest version of the Toolbar Controlle and Clickthru Blocker installed

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 2 weeks later...

I have some issues with icon display as well.

• If it's set to show up on stock, it shows up in the KSC overview and in the main menu as well.
  • If it's set to show up on both stock and Blizzy, it only shows up on stock.
  • If it's set to show up on Blizzy only, it doesn't show up at all.

All this started after the update that fixed it after 1.4 broke it.

7 hours ago, Fraktal said:

I have some issues with icon display as well.

• If it's set to show up on stock, it shows up in the KSC overview and in the main menu as well.
  • If it's set to show up on both stock and Blizzy, it only shows up on stock.
  • If it's set to show up on Blizzy only, it doesn't show up at all.

All this started after the update that fixed it after 1.4 broke it.

Log file, please

I'm not sure why it is showing on the MainMenu, but regarding the other, you need to either rename or delete the file:

GameData/toolbar-settings.dat

and then start the game again.  This is an old quirk with the Blizzy Toolbar, sometimes it gets confused, and stops showing icons.  You will have to reenable any icons in the toolbar that you want, since this file contains all the icon and position info

• 2 weeks later...

I have a feature suggestion, not sure how easy it would be to implement or if it's even possible but if it is I think it will make the tool a bit easier to use.

When setting up RCS for translation, there's a large arrow that extends in the opposite direction of the thrust that moves as you rotate the thrust with a smaller stationary arrow that you should align the larger arrow to.  My suggestion is to make the larger arrow change colors when it is perfectly aligned.

I often find it difficult to get everything just right, especially since the arrows are semi-transparent and it can be difficult to see.  Having a color shift to indicate when I've got it just right would be a big help.

I'm sure you've got a lot on your plate, but if its possible to do someday when you have the time, that would be wonderful!

That arrow is direction of vector product (distance from COM x RCS force). Don't rally on visual aligmnet, rather use torque numbers in RCS GUI window for perfect alignment. Also, need to pay attention on COM shifting as fuel is consumed. You don't get same torque with full and empty fuel tanks unless wet and dry mass is perfectly aligned.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @linuxgurugamer! thanks for updating this mod and all the other mods you keep up!

I have a small suggestion/kind feature request - I'm not sure what place this mod has in your priorities list but I just wanted to throw it out there.

When designing aircraft or spaceplanes, I sometimes want my CoM to be aligned in height with my DCoM, mainly for engine placement purposes. I think it would be helpful to have some sort of indication of the CoM & DCoM's relative position, maybe using coordinates or arbitrary values for lateral and longitudinal position.

I figured this would be rather easy as the mod is already calculating CoM & DCoM and displaying them as icons on screen.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by hypervelocity

Sort of a follow on from hypervelocitys' post. Would it be possible to add in some dotted lines to the balls. What I am looking for is an extension both vertically and horizontally to the origin. To help with alignment. As an option to click on and off would be marvelous. Not a need at all, more of a would like, and might follow with the above request.

Edited by Apaseall

@hypervelocity @Apaseall If you want to align the DCoM and CoM, you can use the 'DCoM offsets' readouts, which are already part of this mod and way more acurate than a visual line. Just click on 'Vessel mass' in the RCSBuildAid window and you will see the offset between CoM and DCoM for all 3 axis..as numbers! All you have to do is messing around with your craft until the X- and Y- offset are 0 and everything is perfectly aligned (X = left/right, Y = up/down, Z = forward/backward) :)

3 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

@hypervelocity @Apaseall If you want to align the DCoM and CoM, you can use the 'DCoM offsets' readouts, which are already part of this mod and way more acurate than a visual line. Just click on 'Vessel mass' in the RCSBuildAid window and you will see the offset between CoM and DCoM for all 3 axis..as numbers! All you have to do is messing around with your craft until the X- and Y- offset are 0 and everything is perfectly aligned (X = left/right, Y = up/down, Z = forward/backward) :)

my god, I have been aligning everything visually this whole time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is madness!!!!!

thanks you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 6/18/2018 at 7:48 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm not sure why it is showing on the MainMenu, but regarding the other, you need to either rename or delete the file:

GameData/toolbar-settings.dat

and then start the game again.  This is an old quirk with the Blizzy Toolbar, sometimes it gets confused, and stops showing icons.  You will have to reenable any icons in the toolbar that you want, since this file contains all the icon and position info

Tried it yesterday, no dice. Icon is still showing up both in the main menu and in the Tracking Station.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:18 AM, hypervelocity said:

my god, I have been aligning everything visually this whole time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is madness!!!!!

thanks you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That feature was re-enabled relatively recently. It was removed WAY back in 1.0.5 or so. Since @linuxgurugamer took control of the mod and this is a more code-centric mod, I asked him to re-implement it. It's been about a month or two since the feature update, so I'm not surprised if you never knew it was there: it actually WASN'T for a long time. (And the original implementation was just a magnitude. LGG was kind enough to add all 3 axis numbers as well.)

I was going off visuals and the torque numbers for a long time as well. (Building stock-ish VTOLs without an engine management mod took a bit more tweaking. I should probably look into VTOL engine management mods anyway though. I know of a couple...)