[1.12.x] Whirligig World Planetary System: An Absurd Homeworld In An Alien Solar System. 0.13.0: Dermun! Ice worlds! Better Scatterer!

Whirligig Girl

Current version: 0.13.0.

Download at Spacedock: https://spacedock.info/mod/1805/Whirligig World

Download at GitHub: https://github.com/GregroxMun/aWhirligigWorld/releases

If you want to support my work, check out my Ko-fi.

If you want to discuss my work and more, check out my Discord.

WhirligigWorld: Where We're Going, We Won't Want Wings.

Around 1300 years ago, explorers from the far off planet Kerbin left their home to colonize other star systems. One such ship embarked on a journey to Kerbmun, an oxygenated moon in the Kaywell star system. There was just one problem. They hadn't counted on Mesbin being much wider than expected.

Unable to correct their course due to piloting error, the U.S.C. Manifest Destiny crashed into the massive, 70 Kerbin Mass planet Mesbin. Luckily, Mesbin spins. Once every twenty eight minutes it completes a rotation, and the centripetal effect pushes the equator outwards and negates some of the gravity. The 13 gees of gravity at the poles is reduced to a tad under 1.3 gee at the equator.

The payload of the ship survived, but the engines and fuel tanks were reduced to a lot of metal rubble along the surface. Unable to find somewhere else to go, they buried themselves underground and set up a stable ecosystem and environment. It took nearly two millenia, a few wars, and the re-invention of the steam engine, but eventually the colony was sufficiently industrialized to start looking up again.

Welcome to Mesbin.

MESBIN

• MASS = 3.777e24 kg = 71.38 MKerbin
  • POLAR RADIUS = 1,392,609 m = 2.32 RKerbin
  • EQUATORIAL RADIUS = 2,367,436 m = 3.95 RKerbin
  • MEAN DENSITY = 136 g/cm^3 = 2.344 ρKerbin
  • POLAR GRAVITY = 13.2 G
  • TRUE EQUATORIAL GRAVITY = 4.58 G
  • APPARENT EQUATORIAL GRAVITY = 1.286 G
  • ROTATION PERIOD = 1701 s (28 minutes.)

AtomicRocketSeal128.png

AgHmSAl.png

lVolCKZ.png

gRvrGuH.png

uAXj4X6.png

Q5h7Clh.png

HLEfBU2.png
TgXjFvu.png

30RCOw3.png

uNUDxhS.png

Screen_Shot_2019-08-10_at_3.42.00_PM.png

zP4iGYQ.png

Screen_Shot_2019-09-25_at_7.19.56_PM.png?width=660&height=407

List of objects: (These descriptions are intentionally vague.)

Kaywell: A white main sequence star.

• Limnel: A red dwarf star in a close binary with Kaywell.
  • Shol: A Hot Jupiter orbiting close to Kaywell.
  • 2 Wolda: A small asteroid orbiting terrifyingly close to Shol.
  • Tyepolbynar: A warm Jupiter that gets more light than Venus.
    • Jifgif: Small minor moon.
    • Imterril: Big blue moon.
    • Tannor: White moon.
    • Etrograd: Gray, retrograde moon.
    • Aerious: Small minor moon in a potentially chaotic orbit.
  • 1 Wers: A large asteroid, or perhaps a small dwarf planet.
    • 1 Vizea: Wers' moon, which is so bright compared to Wers that' it's been argued Vizea was discovered first.
  • Mesbin: An oblate airless world with a rotation period of 28 minutes, gravity of 13 gees at the poles, and 1.3 at the equator.
    • Statmun: Tiny, dense moon in a Mesbin-Stationary orbit.
    • Thresomin: MINor moon in a THree to one RESOnance.
    • Graymun: Gray moon.
    • Kerbmun: Very Kerbin-like moon.
    • Troymin: TROjan MINor moon of Kerbmun.
    • Derbin: Superterrestrial-mass planet in a distant binary orbit with Mesbin.
      • Derminmus: Largish minor submoon with a similar spectral type as Minmus.
      • Dermun: Smallish major submoon superficially similar to Graymun.
  • Valyr: Superterrestrial-mass ocean world.
    • Denna: Greenish minor moon.
    • Plaph: Brownish minor moon.
    • Oshan: Large, cold, white and red.
    • Manonam: Distant cold moon.
      • Didd: Subsatellite of Manonam.
  • Egad: A medium-sized desert world.
    • Yeerbor: Captured asteroid in an eccentric orbit.
  • 3 Rik: Main Belt asteroid.
  • Reander: A jovian-type gas giant.
    • Lito: Enormous earth-mass ice moon.
    • Yalthe: Little hot moon.
    • Yokane: Little warm moon.
    • Dakkon: Little white moon.
    • Totoöa: Little atmospheric moon.
    • Mally: Trojan of Totoöa.
    • Yawer: This moon seems to blink on and off every hour or so.
  • 1P/Fophie: A short period comet rising high above the plane of the Kaywell system.

Gememma: A red dwarf star.

• Ammenon: Little planet close to Gememma.
  • Lowel: Planet known to be in Gememma's habitable zone.
    • Ollym: The massive binary companion of Lowel.
  • Gannovar: Icy world in an eccentric orbit of Gememma.
  • G1 Gallant: Large asteroid.
  • Mandrake: A large blue giant planet.
    • Rutherford: A small blue giant planet, binary with Mandrake.
    • Lozon: You must face the little moon.
    • Beagrid: A mother's little moon.
    • Jancy: Dirty little moon.
    • Tatian: I see a little moon.
  • Pragnik: Dwarf planet in Plutino-resonance with Mandrake & Rutherford.

Astrophotographs of the Planets:
As seen through some of Mesbin's finest observatories... but not as good as going there yourself!

Spoiler

UyxuMh3.png
Shol

3wxgmow.png
Tyepolbynar and two of its moons.

cRasbvh.png
Statmun (seen from near the Mesbin Space Center)

AXrc3VA.png
Thresomin

xWvisH2.png
Graymun (Outdated photo)

zWjalgM.png
Kerbmun

dCKoHqW.png
Troymin

6Lee3fB.png
Derbin and Derminmus

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f
Dermun

q0nktgi.png
Valyr

sOygTaw.png
Egad (and Yeerbor)

rGzP9JN.png
Reander (and moons)

https://i.imgur.com/dWwfWh9.png
Gememma and its planets.
FhYP10D.png
Mandrake and Rutherford and its moons.

In-game Images (There are a few spoilers for those who may want to only see planets up close by visiting them.)

Spoiler

https://i.imgur.com/QYD7wPA.png

q4hkgUX.png

wl7inDl.jpg

screenshot37.png

My8rXNu.png

Qzq8X2i.jpg

M0bdquL.png

K6bVATf.png

4i27fs9.png

screenshot10.png?width=1001&height=563

screenshot16.png?width=1001&height=563

QvnJzn6.png

5Wxc2mG.png

zP4iGYQ.png

NhLXflo.png

UXWSygr.png

c06GrGB.png

REZtYwb.png

RPRz20y.png

TMxpmW0.png

QWOpzj4.png

1nPDrfe.png

https://i.imgur.com/ZLGEGIi.png

zsPzh9k.png

GVBvnnL.png

Design notes:

Spoiler

xg1YHf0.jpg

Colored pencil art of Mesbin and its moons, sizes to scale, distances appear shorter than realityFeb 6, 2019.

• Mesbin is an homage to Mesklin from Hal Clement's Mission of Gravity. Mesklin is 16 Jupiter masses of rock and ice with 700 (or 200 upon recalculation) gees at the poles and 3 gees at the equator. This is because the equator of the planet is both further from the center of gravity, and it has more centrifugal force. Mesklin rotates once every 18 minutes. Mission of Gravity is one of the best hard science books of all time and I can't recommend it enough! For a long time I've wanted to play on a planet like Mesklin, and so far Mesbin is as close as I've come to realizing that dream. One day, maybe, I'll be able to do nonspherical gravitation, higher terrain deformity, and nonspherical atmospheres and hydrospheres and I'll make a true Mesklin! But for now I've done the best I can do.
  • The Kaywell system is really big! You may need a modified antenna mod, or you can boost your Deep Space Network range by a factor of about 1.5 to 2 in the game difficulty settings.
  • The Gememma system is really small. This makes orbital speeds high, so bring plenty of delta-v.
  • The mod looks at its best with ambient lighting turned off or at least very low in flight and the map. ESPECIALLY in the Gememma system. Tannor is overexposed when ambient lighting is enabled. Between the PlanetShine mod and the starlight from Gememma, you have a reasonable amount of ambient lighting already. Maybe if you need ambient lighting to land you can turn it on, but I highly recommend you turn off ambient lighting. 
  • Mesbin is a super-Tylo type planet, of the same sort as Alternis Kerbol's Tylo, but with a 28 minute rotation, 1.3 gee of gravity at the equator, and 13 gee at the poles.
  • Mesbin's spin is fast enough that getting into orbit isn't that difficult. While you do have to do powered landings, the delta-v is about the same as launching. However, getting stuff from Mesbin orbit to Mesbin escape is a much harder endeavor.
  • Mesbin's atmosphere exists as one atmosphere of pressure in the north polar lowlands. It's a hydrogen atmosphere, which makes it tall and puffy, but it's also under 13 G of gravity so it's very short. Rocket landing on Mesbin's pole is essentially impossible. I recommend using a combination rocket launch and rover. (Well... there is an atmosphere... maybe you could try a plane or parachutes?)
  • Statmun is extremely dense and nonetheless still below the roche limit. However, it's also a huge chunk of nearly monolithic iron, and spinning fast enough that its surface gravity across its equator is negative anyway, so that's hardly a problem. Statmun contains almost no volatiles, and thus can NOT BE MINED FOR ORE.
  • Two of Mesbin's three minor moons, Thresomin and Troymin, are designed to exist as propellant mines for setting up infrastructure. Whirligig World rewards building infrastructure more than any other planet pack except possibly for Real Solar System. Thresomin is positioned in the 3:1 resonant orbit with Mesbin's rotation and Statmun's orbit. This puts it about halfway between Low Mesbin Orbit and Kerbmun/Troymin in terms of hohmann transfer orbits. (And about halfway between Statmun and Graymun by distance) Troymin is a trojan of Kerbmun and thus can be easily reached from Kerbmun, the reverse trip being easier still. While I do have a few specific ideas for how one might create infrastructure for interplanetary missions using these bodies, I'll leave it up to the player.
  • In order to make the infrastructure to set up a refueling post for crew shuttles easier to build, Mesbin has a diffuse ring of A.R.M. asteroids orbiting it.
  • If you use Kerbal Engineer Redux, it will display the Thrust-to-weight ratio according to polar gravity. A TWR of around 0.1 at the pole is around a TWR of 1 at the equator.
  • I tried to keep the mod reasonably realistic. That said there are a few issues with the system's realism and that of individual planets. Mesbin is far more massive than any superearth should be given that it should have accreted a thick atmosphere--though perhaps the atmosphere was lost to space due to spinning?
  • Mesbin can't have a proper atmosphere due to technical limitations--atmospheres can't be oblate. If that ever changes (and I've got some hints from some friends that it might) then I will probably redesign Derbin to be a habitable spinning super-Kerbin with such an atmosphere, and make that a playable homeworld as well.
  • Tannor and Imterril are two variations on a theme. They're both ice worlds that have fallen with their parent planet into the inner system, and they now have to deal with more insolation (sunlight and heat) than even Venus or Eve gets. The two worlds responded differently. Imterril kept building an atmosphere of greenhouse gasses out of the material that melted and sublimated as it got warmer, resulting in a near boiling sea. Tannor's darker surface ice evaporated, revealing a very reflective lower layer that keeps it just below freezing.
  • Valyr and Oshan are an homage to Lyr and Oisin from Chris Wayan's Planetocopia.
  • All planetary atmospheric compositions are displayed in the atmosphere analysis science results.
  • Mesbin takes about 2,500 meters per second of Delta-V to get into orbit around from the equator. But unlike Kerbin, there's no atmosphere to aerobrake in, so you also need around 2,500 meters per second of Delta-V to deorbit and land safely. It will take nearly 4,000 m/s to escape from low orbit, however! (This is why Thresomin and Troymin come in handy)
  • Exploration of the poles may be suggested by contracts. Exploring far from the equator is extremely difficult, and as mentioned, Mesbin's curvature is not technically correct. Rovers and rockets are both valid answers to these problems, and if you ever attempt such a mission I'd love to see it.
  • The sun, Kaywell, is an F3V (hot white main sequence star), a little hot and puffy for its mass, but not out of the boundary for main sequence stars.  It is smaller than the stock Sun, but that's because the stock Sun is unrealistic and nowhere near close to a 1/10th scale analogue of a G2V star. It is larger than a 1/10th scale real Sol analogue, hotter, and more luminous. As a result, the planets orbit further out and on longer orbits, so transfer times take a little longer.
  • Mandrake and Rutherford and their moons are based upon a rescaled and repainted Pluto/Charon system. All of the rotation periods and diameters are rescaled from their real anlogues (no chaotic rotation for the small moons though!)

Asteroid Changes:

Spoiler

Whirligig World makes several major changes to the stock asteroid feature. These non-celestial-body asteroids, created for the Asteroid Redirect Mission update in KSP version 0.23.5, were balanced for gameplay--and as a result, they are generally fairly small and their densities are quite literally lower than styrofoam.

Asteroids now come in more varied sizes (up to ten times larger) and come in varied, more realistic densities. Each type of asteroid has different amounts of Ore, and when Community Resources Pack is installed, different levels of various resources.

Moving the largest and most massive E-class asteroids is now an exercise in futility without very high-power propulsion systems, while moving more reasonably sized A-class asteroids is a suitable challenge.

Asteroids can now be found in various different orbital groups as one of four density/compositional classes, configured to support both the stock Ore composition and the composition with Community Resource Pack.

Icy Asteroid: 1.5 g/cm^3

Carbonaceous Asteroid: 2.3 g/cm^3

Stony Asteroid: 3.4 g/cm^3

Metallic Asteroid: 6.5 g/cm^3

There's also a patch in the settings file to cut the densities of these asteroids to stockalike levels.

Read more about Whirligig World's asteroids here.

Career and Science mode notes:

Spoiler

Pq0Ifuo.png

• It is refreshing to play in this system if you're already used to career mode.
  • You should definitely try this in career mode--I've had a lot of fun with this!
  • The tech tree has been reconfigured to make more sense:
    • The tall rocket tanks for Size 1 and Size 1.5 are unlocked at the same time as the short tanks.
    • Aviation sub-tree is moved one space to the right, unlocking later and requiring more science for each node.
    • Field Science Node is now where Aviation was before--rovers before planes!
    • Science cost and node connections have been rearranged appropriately to fit.
    • Changed Survivability from basic landing parts to the first antennas and some probe bits and renamed it "Safety Equipment". It's survivable because now you can use robots instead of kerbals.
    • Changed Stability icon from a winglet to the flight control icon, along with a few other icon changes.
    • Landing node now contains the small parachute, the radial drogue chute, and the radial parachute, as well as all heat shields up to 2.5m.
    • Unlock monopropellant and the linear RCS thruster in Stability.
    • Both the radial decoupler and the 1.25m decoupler are unlocked in tier 2: Basic Rocketry and Engineering 101 respectively.
    • Thermometer and Mystery Goo swap places.
    • Barometer is unlocked earlier--and rebranded as AtMoCo surpluss cavern pressure sensors from a cave-city that lost all its air due to a tragic mistake.
    • Added the Kaptunik, which is very heavy and lacks the internal antenna, BUT it does have full SAS autopilot (Prograde/Retrograde, Radial In/Out, Antinormal/Normal, Full Thrust/Cut Thrust, and Stage.) When you unlock the antenna you of course get all of that and manual control, but it's still really heavy.
    • The small ISRU parts are unlocked earlier, so you can take advantage of mining asteroids earlier on.
    • Pods and Lander Cans have been swapped around.
    • Tricoupler and Bicoupler are unlocked early on as well.
  • Making History compatible, partially compatible with other mods.
  • All transmitter parts now have 2 times the range.
  • All bodies have biome maps, some more detailed than others.
  • Most worlds have fairly detailed science descriptions. (Though writing dozens of experiements for many biomes on 50 bodies necessarily means not every world and situation will be as fleshed out as possible)
  • The atmosphere analysis experiment will simply display the atmospheric composition that was used to generate atmosphere curves.
  • Science has been balanced such that the total amount of science available in the system is greater than the stock system, but each individual celestial body is worth less science than their stock equivalents.
  • The tech tree changes only affect Mesbin homeworld mode.

• All bodies have biome maps. Some of them even have good biome maps.
  • Most planets and moons have detailed science descriptions. The atmospheric analysis experiment will simply display the atmospheric composition used to generate the atmosphere curves!
  • Science has been balanced for career and science modes for all planets, but not fully tested. If you feel you get too much or too little science, let me know.

Delta-V Map & Tables

Spoiler

221384018-d210387e-778e-46e4-93c2-e68fcd

WWKerbmunDVMap.png

Delta-v maps created by Sabine. Older delta-v tables below:

kt6ep7C.png

Pp4qsE0.png

For more Delta-v information, see the article on the Whirligig World Wiki at Github.

Kaputnik Mk0 Electronic Program Executor

Behold the Kaputnik Mk0 Electromechanical Program Executor and Four-Function Calculator! A start-level probe core designed by me and modeled by NovaSilisko that is 1.875m diameter (1.25m mounting points), very heavy, and contains all SAS levels. However, there's no transmitter/reciever, so the probe core can *only* use SAS. This control lock functionality comes from SeveredSolo's ModuleCommandLimitedControl.

Known issues:

Spoiler

• Kaywell and Gememma can be seen behind the equatorial bulge of Mesbin. This is inherent stock behavior--look for the sun lens flare behind a lump on Gilly or Bop.
  • Mesbin has an atmosphere that goes all the way up past the equatorial bulge. It is not functional, but is required for making engines work (Isp scaling) and for Career mode contracts. There is an optional setting that can be enabled to remove the "exosphere," but don't do this until you've already finished the First Spaceflight contract.
  • Mesbin's shape is also not accurate to what the game insists is "down" as far as the camera works. So the middle latitudes will always *appear* to slope much more than their effective gravity would imply.
  • There are some issues with reparenting Kerbin using Kerbmun Homeworld swap. The orbit of the planet may appear to wander, and the Space Center scene will never be accurate.
  • If you're playing with Kopernicus versions prior to 1.7.1-1, the game will fail to load the system unless you delete all of the .bin files in WhirligigWorld/Cache and regenerate them. You will also have to downgrade your Kopernicus Expansions version. Please just only use supported Kopernicus versions.

Homeworld swap:

FvTrqtE.png

Spoiler

• There is a settings file that allows you to relocate the KSC to the surface of Kerbmun instead of Mesbin.
  • To use it, follow these instructions:
    • Open the file GameData/WhirligigWorld/Settings.cfg in a text editor.
    • You will see a configuration node with "Homeworld = Mesbin"
    • Change "Mesbin" to "Kerbmun"
    • Restart KSP, and make sure to use a new save file or at least back up your old one.
    • Kerbmun is nearly identical to Kerbin, though slightly denser. Gameplay will be comparable to Alternis Kerbol or Laythe Space Program.

See more info on the Github Wiki Article.

Absolutely Required, Strongly Recommended, and Supported mods.

• Kopernicus and its prerequisites (Download here). Kopernicus comes with ModularFlightIntegrator and ModuleManager, both of which are required to run any Kopernicus pack.
  • Scientific Revolution (Found Here). Absolutely required for science experiments to function. This mod also comes along with WW's download, make sure you install it!
  • Distant Object Enhancement (Download here). Custom colors for all planets.
  • PlanetShine (Download here). Custom colors for most planets. Note: Turn down your in-flight ambient light in the settings! The mod looks so much better without it, especially in the Gememma system.
  • Poodmund's Deep Star Map Skybox (Download here). This skybox is absolutely gorgeous and you should all be using it all the time. Requires TextureReplacer.
  • Sigma EditorView (Download here). This replaces the sky as seen from the VAB and SPH with a snapshot of the real sky seen from the space center, including the skybox, moons, and stars. Great for improving the look of the planet outside... and I just realized that the Kerbals will be suffocating now, so if you really want that extra bit of immersion removed/improved, you should turn off ground Kerbals in the editor in the settings.
  • Scatterer. (Download here). Support for scatterer atmospheres for all relevant worlds except Derbin and the Gas Giants.
  • Environmental Visual Enhancements (Download Here). Includes clouds for atmospheric planets, most importantly on Imterril and Derbin. Only install E.V.E., not BoulderCo. (The plugin, not the configs)
  • ResearchBodies (Download here). Delays the discovery of certain celestial bodies during the game.
  • Kronometer (Download here). I have developed my own basic calendar/clock (Actually, five of them) for WhirligigWorld, since days and years don't exactly have the same meaning anymore.
  • Community Tech Tree (Found here.) Tech tree modifications are safely applied to the CTT.
  • Interstellar Consortium (Found Here.) With the IC Plugin, you can play from Kerbin and fly a starship to Kaywell! Or fly a starship from Mebsin to Kerbin, or Mesbin to Alternis Kerbol, or SLIPPIST-1, or any other mod which is compatible with Interstellar Consortium. 
  • Sigma Dimensions (Found Here.) Support is a little finicky, some rescale factors completely break the game. Remember to set the rotation period/day length scale factor to be equal to the square root of the rescale and resize factors, or Mesbin's spin will be wrong. Mostly tested this on just 10x scale. If you play on 10x scale you're a monster, but you're an impressive monster and you deserve my sympathy and admiration.
  • Community Resource Pack (Found Here.) Atmospheres use realistic compositions with CRP resources.
  • DMagic Orbital Science (Download Here.) Currently only supports asteroid compositions and a few science experiments.

Other Useful Mods:

Spoiler

• ReStock (Download here). Gorgeous part remodels.
  • Cryogenic Engines (Download here). Energetic upper stages are good news for getting things out of Mesbin's deep gravity well.
  • Kerbal Atomics (Download here). High efficiency and high thrust nuclear thermal rocket engines are kind of OP--except when you're trying to escape Mesbin's gravity well!
  • Near Future Technologies (Thread here). In particular, see Near Future Exploration, which includes long-range communication systems, Near Future Electrical, which includes nuclear reactors for the outer system, and Near Future Launch Vehicles, which includes giant rockets for a giant planet. (Also consider SystemHeat, a better implementation of part heating, but which is currently a work-in-progress)
  • Waterfall (Download Here). Better engine plume effects. Changes rocket engine exhaust to look different in a vacuum compared to in the atmosphere, by showing the broader expansion of exhaust gasses.
  • Eve Optimized Engines (Download Here). Not useful for launching from Mesbin, but there are several destination planets with thick atmospheres that this may come in handy for.
  • Transfer Window Planner (Download Here). There is currently no delta-v chart (and probably won't be until I finalize the system design in 1.0). This mod is a lovely alternative, with plenty of information on transfer times and delta-v.
  • Kerbal Engineer Redux (Download Here). You should know what this does! It's as useful here as ever. Displays information about crafts and celestial bodies. TWR displayed is relative to polar gravity for Mesbin, which is about 10 times higher than the apparent equatorial gravity, so keep that in mind when building.
  • Better Timewarp (Download Here). Adds better timewarp controls including faster maximum timewarp, which is necessary when maneuvering around the outer system.
  • SMURFF (Download Here). Simple Module adjUstments for Real-ish Fuel-mass Fractions. It makes rocket parts lighter, so that stock parts can be used in Real Solar System instead of Realism Overhaul. However, it may be useful here given Mesbin's high escape velocity! Personally I don't use it, but it's something you may want to consider.
  • Atomic Age/Spacetux Recycled Parts (Download here) Porkjet's original Nuclear Lightbulb and LANTR nuclear rockets are a nice, slightly more stockalike alternative to Kerbal Atomics, and the nuclear ramjet is handy for exploring some of the non-oxidized atmospheres of the planets in the system.

Discussion:

I encourage you to post your mission reports on the mission reports forums and/or the KSP subreddit. For real time discussion, go to my discord server at https://discord.gg/ffzJqEs where you can find prerelease builds and development updates. I'd love to see someone do a youtube or twitch career mode series with this mod. If you make a video of this mod or see a video of this mod, let me know!

p2fikGA.png

GitHub Wiki (Work In Progress): https://github.com/GregroxMun/aWhirligigWorld/wiki

by @Adstriduum

Bug Reports

Please follow standard bug-reporting procedures as outlined here: 

On 5/26/2016 at 1:52 PM, Thomas P. said:

We're always willing to help you with your issues, but however, there are a few things you'll have to do before we can help you:

• Please make sure that all your mods are up to date, and that they are installed correctly. 
  • We will need your KSP.log, your GameData/ModuleManager.ConfigCache file, and a zip file that contains the folder Logs/Kopernicus

And to add to that:

• Please describe in detail what the problem is.
  • If possible, provide steps for replicating the bug.
  • Make sure it's not a known issue.

Credits

@Thomas P. @Sigma88 Kopernicus Expansion Continued

@NovaSilisko Testing, feedback, and the Kaputnik Mk0 model.

@Pkmniako Biome map for Lowel.

@SnailsAttack Testing and feedback, biome maps for Mally, Yeerbor, and Totooa, Mally terrain.

@Tutur Testing and feedback.

@severedsolo ModuleCommandLimitedControl plugin.

Davidson16807: I used his Tectonics.js model to develop realistic continental maps for some of the worlds, including Mesbin.

SnowfallTheCat for the current placeholder Derbin cloud map.

And a special thanks to @Ultimate Steve, who is Conquering Whirligig, and @Shamash who used to livestream his Whirligig World playthrough, and @Cupcake... who has had an Interstellar Adventure.

LICENSE:

Whirligig World art assets and config files: Copyright Gregoria Luna Brannon (GregroxMun) 2018. All Rights Reserved.

Kopernicus Expansion Continued: GNU General Public License.

Derbin cloud map: Copyright Snowfall-The-Cat 2018. "Use this however you like, just give me a credit if possible for assembling." Data from JAXA's Akatsuki spacecraft.

Whirligig World heightmap files Ellipsoid.png, Prolate_Height.png, and deprecated Triaxial_Ellipsoid.png: Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) Explanation for separate licensing found at this forum thread post.

Edited by GregroxMun
Delta-v maps

12 hours ago, Galacticvoyager said:

Begins coding furiously now that Gregrox has released Mesbin, It will serve as a base planet for my own super spinny sub-jool/super jool rocky world for players to explore in Kluster...

So the first post in this thread is someone admitting to stealing my ideas? Great.

11 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

This intrigues me. :) Congrats on the release @GregroxMun

I would like to point out that while the mod is available, it's not really "released" as such--that's a title reserved for mods in the add-on releases forum, mods which are closer to completion.

Pretty cool, I like the potato shaped planet. Though I have to ask, why do the kerbals develop parachutes first, and not something to help them in a vacuum environment?

(also how do you calculate delta-v im a noob to that sort of thing)

Edited by Tux1

2 hours ago, Tux1 said:

Pretty cool, I like the potato shaped planet. Though I have to ask, why do the kerbals develop parachutes first, and not something to help them in a vacuum environment?

Gregrox hasn't made an appropriate tech tree for this mod. Planet packs are very easy to make...but tech trees...

On 10/18/2017 at 8:45 PM, GregroxMun said:

So the first post in this thread is someone admitting to stealing my ideas? Great.

Not stealing, stealing is to "take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it." if I edit it to the point where its completely unrecognizable to its counterpart, and also have a link directing to this mod stating that it used mesbin as a base, so that the original wont be out-competed IF that happens. Then Its more like inspiration than copying or stealing.

Edited by Planetace

2 hours ago, Galacticvoyager said:

Not stealing, stealing is to "take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it." if I edit it to the point where its completely unrecognizable to its counterpart, and also have a link directing to this mod stating that it used mesbin as a base, so that the original wont be out-competed IF that happens. Then Its more like inspiration than copying or stealing.

A " :P " may have been an apt addition to my original comment.

ROADMAP:

Version 0.2 "Barlennan"

• Balanced atmospheres for all bodies with air.
  • Environmental Visual Enhancements compatibility.
  • Removal of stock biomes.
  • Placeholder science definitions (biome-unspecific definitions)
  • Implement Tylo Space Program's tech tree patch.

Version 0.3 "Dondragmer"

• Three or Four extra bodies
    • The Binary Asteroids Wers and Vizea.
    • The Asteroid Jifgif.
    • The hot world of Imterril.
    • Tannor, an icy outer body.
  • Lava Lakes on Yalthe instead of flat orange plains.
  • Biomes for some worlds.
Edited by GregroxMun

9 hours ago, daniel l. said:

A little idea, perhaps you could make a massive crater at the north pole, and give that crater a thin atmosphere. Like a bowl filled with water.

Also, here's some ambient noise for SoundTrackEditor: https://goo.gl/xdCy6i :P

Actually you know what that's not a bad idea, I'll look into that.

0.3 Dondragmer:

• The hot world of Imterril, with trojan asteroid Jifgif.
  • [REDACTED] to Reander's [REDACTED]
  • Lava lakes instead of flat orange plains on Yalthe
  • Biome maps for all planets.
  • Science Definitions for all planets.
  • Add asteroid belts.

0.4 Clement:

• The red dwarf star Kaywell B in a distant orbit 
    • The hugely massive solid planet Dhreve
    • The habitable-zone planet Ohjos
      • Its moon Sansot
Edited by GregroxMun

• 5 weeks later...

Released 0.2 "Barlennan"

https://github.com/GregroxMun/WhirligigWorld/releases/tag/0.2

• Balanced atmospheres for all bodies with air.
  • Environmental Visual Enhancements compatibility.
  • Removal of stock biomes.
  • Placeholder science definitions (biome-unspecific definitions)
  • Implement Tylo Space Program's tech tree patch.
  • The Binary Asteroids Wers and Vizea. (Orbits between Shol and Mesbin)
  • The Asteroid Wolda. (Orbits between Shol and Mesbin)
  • Homeworld Swap patch--allows the player to start from Kerbmun instead of Mesbin, resulting in a far more normal game experience. Mesbin is still the default!
  • EVE Cloud Compatibility

37 minutes ago, Saltshaker said:

"...they crashed into the massive, 70 Kerbin Mass planet Mesbin."

ksp_interstellar.txt

please don't quote the entire OP. You can edit text within quotes, please delete the repetitive images. :wink:

And I guess I should clarify, they crashed into the planet, but it was not an unpowered fall from flyby--they would have burned retrograde as soon as they realized they were on a collision course. So while the ship was irreparable, they and their equipment survived.

Edited by GregroxMun

On 11/24/2017 at 3:02 PM, Saltshaker said:

Also, just saying, but the gravity would actually be higher at the equator on Mesbin, and lower at the poles. However, I understand you put the M/KSC at the equator for balance reasons.

No, the gravity is lower on the equator because the planet spins and 'creates' centripetal acceleration. In the real world, its a more complicated situation, but even with a non-spinning oblate spheroid the gravity is lower at the equator because that is further from the center of mass (in KSP, planets are point masses, so the equatorial bulge is massless). In real life, a non-spinning oblate spheroid of uniform density would have the same gravity everywhere (albeit with sloping terrain), but in real life the spheroid would still have layers and a higher density at the core. Mesklin in Mission of Gravity is assumed to have a degenerate/ultra-dense core (so the core still accounts for a majority of the planet's mass).

The KSC is at the equator because the gravity is lowest there. Go there in game, with a rotation period of 1 hour or 1 year, and you will experience this.

EDIT: An please, again, delete the repetitive images in the quote in your above post.

Edited by GregroxMun

• 4 weeks later...