[1.12.x] Whirligig World Planetary System: An Absurd Homeworld In An Alien Solar System. 0.13.0: Dermun! Ice worlds! Better Scatterer!

Whirligig Girl

Okay I found some bugs when switching the homeworld from Mesbin to Kerbmun (I don't like Mesbin, too challenging for me, a beginner). On startup, it's EXTREMELY bright, can barely see the space center. Fixed when I go into the tracking station and exit. And secondly, timewarp works when I'm viewing the space center, but it never turns night into day, or day into night. And when I look at the tracking station, the location place marker for the KSP shakes a little, and only there does timewarp switch night to day and day to night.

Anything I can do to fix these issues?

I have Scatterer (and only that) installed alongside what's required for Whirligig World.

Edited by zit

https://github.com/GregroxMun/Whirligig-World/releases/tag/0.11

Welcome to 0.11 "Beta," the last Work-In-Progress version of WW.

• Tech Tree Changes:
    • Revert Stayputnik Probe Core back to stock tech tree location.
    • Move MH Size 1.5 Tall Tank to Advanced Rocketry and Size 1.5 Half Tank and Soyuz Tank to Fuel Systems.
    • Fix position of Advanced Motors Tech node so that it is no longer colliding with Scanning Tech node.
    • Split Aviation and Aerodynamics back into separate Tech Nodes.
    • Move all the Aerospace subtree nodes one space to the right, increasing their science value and pushing them to later in the game compared to stock.
    • Retitle "Survivability" to "Safety Equipment."
    • New descriptions for some Tech Nodes.
    • Community Tech Tree compatibility is preserved and improved.
    • Move surface mount basic antenna to survivability.
  • Remove Part Test contracts when Mesbin is the homeworld since they would often ask you to go to nearly inaccessible parts of Mesbin's atmosphere.
  • Planets:
    • Lowel has been made 1.3 times wider and about twice as heavy.
    • Ollym has been moved back into orbit around Lowel.
    • Lowel's inclination was reduced from 67.3 degrees to 1.92 degrees to make it nearly coplanar with Ammenon and Gannovar, thus removing its axial tilt. Its orbital Semimajoraxis was reduced from 0.047 kAU to 0.040 kAU.
    • Completely redesigned Lowel's Heightmap, terrain, textures, and biomes.
    • Lowel's atmosphere is now reduced to be a significantly lower pressure and new composition.
    • Fixed Rik's SOI (which had been limited to just a few km as a holdover from when it was a moon of Valyr)
    • Completely revamp Rik. New heightmap, colormap, and biome map. It's also about twice the size.
    • Tweaked terrain noise on Totooa.
    • Tweak Ollym's terrain colors and PQS noise.
    • New heightmap, terrain, biomes, and textures for Oshan.
    • New heightmap, terrain, biomes, and textures for Egad.
    • New terrain details on Dakkon.
    • Changes to Gannovar's PQS Material.
    • Change the orbit of Gannovar to put it into a 3:1 resonance with Lowel.
    • Increase Mandrake's eccentricity, keeping its periapsis constant.
    • Troymin and Kerbmun now have the exact same Semimajoraxis (to fix Troymin wandering when playing with Kerbmun homeworld enabled)
    • Increase the mass of Reander from about 100 Kerbin masses to 300 Kerbin masses.
    • Move all of Reander's moons outward by a factor of 1.31.
  • Science:
    • Science definitions (and planet descriptions, among other "lore" texts) have been changed to mirror the changes made to planets in this update, along with other miscellaneous changes.
    • Science multipliers for all of the planets have been rebalanced completely. There's more science in WW overall compared to the stock system, but each individual planet is worth about half as much science as its stock counterparts. Thus, more of the system will have to be explored in order to unlock the full tech tree.
  • Ban ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads' MetalOre from certain icy worlds, as well as Thresomin and Troymin, increase MetalOre on Statmun.
  • Enabled loading screens made by Pythania that had previously not been working. Deleted all non-pythania loading screen images.
  • Modify colors used on the Lowel Flag.
  • Tweaks to A.R.M. Asteroid Spawning:
    • Move all Gememma asteroid belts to actually orbit Gememma instead of erroneously spawning around Kaywell/"Sun."
    • Redefine orbits of asteroids spawning around objects that have been moved.
    • Replace Trans-Lowel Objects with "Gannovoids"
  • Enable a secret around Lowel...

I'll be making a relatively small patch with a pretty enormous gameplay change soon.

Turns out two years and 9 days ago, when I created Kaywell, I made a mistake. Kaywell's nowhere near as luminous as it should be for its mass.

I am really kicking myself for not noticing that before, and it was only a comment (on a reddit post announcing the 0.11 update no less! You know, the "hey I'm almost done" update. The one that I intended to not make any major changes to.) by a skeptical redditor /u/OctupleCompressedCAT that brought this oversight to my attention. OctupleCompressedCAT, if you're reading this: screw you and more importantly, thank you. I could have gone on my merry way never knowing the massive realism flaw hiding right under my nose, but now at least can fix the problem.

Basically I don't want to move Gememma too far away, I like the current brightness as a dim night-light and bright star everpresent in the sky. But if I make Kaywell more luminous, I'll have to move every planet's orbit outwards. This will push Reander firmly into the realm of Gememma's sphere of influence.

Similarly if I keep the current orbits the same but reduce Kaywell's mass to make its current luminosity reasonable, the mass ratio between the star and all the planets will change, which means not only might there be instabilities in the planets that weren't there before, Gememma will also have more of a gravitational influence on Reander and again, Reander will be made unstable.

Now I may be able to fiddle with compromises between lowering the mass, raising the luminosity, and moving Gememma. But I am leaning towards a solution that pretty wildly changes the nature of the system. I could move Reander to orbit Gememma.

If I do so it would orbit in the gap between Gallant and Mandrake, and likely tides from Gememma might tear Yawer off, so I might need to find a new orbit for it. There's something so... wrong about moving Reander after all this time, I mean after all, it was in the very first release of Whirligig World! Though there isn't really anything fundamentally Kaywellian about the system.

No matter what I do (unless I decide to suck it up and let Kaywell be unrealistic) there will be significant changes to gameplay, delta-v, and transfer times for anyone beyond the Mesbin system. If you're staying in the Mesbin system you might not notice much of a difference, though. So either finish your interplanetary missions before updating, or wait until the update to launch them.

I'm really curious on the thoughts of my players regarding these changes. Let me know here on the forum, or discuss in more detail on my discord server.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are still quite a few bugs that need to be ironed out, namely:

Kerbmun and Valyr having weird hexagonal patterns with Scatterer

Derbin and Valyr not having clouds with EVE but having clouds with Scatterer alone

The KSC being WAY too bright when you first start up the game, then it being nighttime when you go into the VAB, SPH, or Tracking station and then exit

Day and night cycles not working when you use timewarp while viewing the KSC

The KSC indicator shaking slightly while in Tracking Station view

No Dessert or Woomerang launch site for those who have Making History

The inflatable heat shield exploding when you try to descend onto Derbin at too steep of an angle

Being able to see a huge water world underneath Mesbin if you look at just the right angle

These are just a few, I haven't found a deltaV map or equation that can get my satellite probe from Kerbmun to Valyr

Also how can the Kerbals breathe on Kerbmun if the atmosphere is only 5% oxygen? Unless it's denser than Kerbin

Edited by zit

On 11/27/2019 at 6:58 PM, zit said:

There are still quite a few bugs that need to be ironed out, namely:

Kerbmun and Valyr having weird hexagonal patterns with Scatterer

Derbin and Valyr not having clouds with EVE but having clouds with Scatterer alone

The KSC being WAY too bright when you first start up the game, then it being nighttime when you go into the VAB, SPH, or Tracking station and then exit

Day and night cycles not working when you use timewarp while viewing the KSC

The KSC indicator shaking slightly while in Tracking Station view

No Dessert or Woomerang launch site for those who have Making History

The inflatable heat shield exploding when you try to descend onto Derbin at too steep of an angle

Being able to see a huge water world underneath Mesbin if you look at just the right angle

These are just a few, I haven't found a deltaV map or equation that can get my satellite probe from Kerbmun to Valyr

Also how can the Kerbals breathe on Kerbmun if the atmosphere is only 5% oxygen? Unless it's denser than Kerbin

scatterer is not properly supported. Uninstall scatterer.

Derbin and Valyr should have clouds with EVE, I'll try to look into that. It might be related to you playing on Kerbmun.

KSC being too bright is unfixable. There's a LOT of KSC-related bugs whenever you reparent Kerbin, which is what we've done to make Kerbmun into a homeworld. Same with day/night cycles and KSC indicator wobbling in tracking station.

Dessert and Woomerang launch sites can't be used with Mesbin, and aren't on land on Kerbmun (IIRC), so they've been removed.

The heatshield exploding is gameplay, not a bug. Derbin's atmosphere scale height is very short due to its high gravity. Take a shallower approach.

"Being able to see a huge water world underneath Mesbin if you look at just the right angle" if your camera is clipping through the terrain to see this, I don't care. But since there shouldn't be water, I'm guessing it's actually scatterer's fault, like I said uninstall scatterer.

Transfer Window Planner can be used to get a delta-v map, though I don't believe it can be done from a moon to a planet. That being the case, you can always plan maneuvers in Kerbmun orbit with a probe (either cheated into orbit or not) to get an idea of delta-v for transfers.

Kerbmun Kerbals have acclimated to the thin oxygen over many centuries of inhabiting Kerbmun. At first (and if you were playing from Mesbin) the Kerbals had to breathe oxygen canisters.

COMING SOON TO A STAR SYSTEM NEAR YOU

Whirligig World 0.11.1.

I had intended for the next update to be 1.0. But I had to address Kaywell.

When I invented Kaywell, I thought I had invented a realistic star, the goal having been to make it more luminous that most stars of its mass, so that I could put Mesbin and Derbin as far apart as I could. I thought, for a long time, that I had succeeded. The WW version 0.11 was meant to be the last version before 1.0. In the reddit post announcing the update, a player commented that Kaywell wasn't luminous enough. I told them they were wrong.

They were right. It turned out that, somehow, my star was MUCH less luminous than it should have been--closer to 6-10 Lsol rather than 2.52. For a long time after I struggled with trying to reconcile my star--and the very much already finished system--with the unrealistic mass/luminosity ratio. Most people would probably never notice... but it would always nag at me. I came up with several different possible ways to change Kaywell, and sat on those for a month or so.

I had resolved to keep Kaywell as it was, unrealistic, until I remade the system from scratch when KSP2 was released. Then KSP2 got delayed, and I realized Whirligig World would have perhaps another full year of relevance. So I decided to go ahead and fix the star. I made it more luminous, and moved all the orbits out. And finally Kaywell was realistic, and it didn't even take that much effort!

But there was one small problem: those new orbits sucked. They were almost three times slower, which would have slowed gameplay down to a crawl, ruined any missions planned or in progress to the planets between the updates, and it just wouldn't have been fun. I felt defeated. Here it was, a more realistic system that was worse than the original. I have long maintained (and generally still do) that realism doesn't detract from gameplay in most cases, and can actively produce interesting situations. But extremely slow orbits isn't interesting, it's just boring.

So I undid my changes, and resolved yet again that yes, I really would keep Kaywell as it was.

Then I woke up with a start on December 1st 2019. "MAKE IT BINARY!" I said, and I made a note of it to deal with later. The reasoning is that two main sequence stars of a given total mass will almost always have a lower luminosity than a single star of the same mass. So all I had to do was find the right mass and luminosity ratios and do a lot of last minute work splicing an entire star into the game's configs and lore.

And so Limnel is born.

the suns

That's right. Kaywell is now a trinary star. (Kaywell, Gememma, and Limnel)

By default, the mass of Limnel will be added to Kaywell, so Kaywell is effectively identical to as it was before (planet orbits will be identical). There is, however, a new setting in the settings.cfg to make Kaywell and Limnel binary, with a barycenter that both stars and the planets will orbit. In this case, Kaywell will use its new, more realistic mass of 1.17 Msol. Kaywell will also be 1.17 Msol if Principia is installed, but will not orbit a barycenter.

Also of note: using an unreleased and unfinished (so don't ask about it.) development version of 1.8 Kopernicus, I was able to play around with the new terrain shaders, but I expect to make a release for 1.7.3 before I release the 1.8 terrain updates. Unfortunately there seems to be a bizarre lighting bug that prevents me from putting the new terrain shader on Mesbin, which is very sad.

Edited by GregroxMun

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2019 at 8:41 PM, The Minmus Derp said:

Are you planning on adding limnel to the object list in the OP?

When I release Limnel, sure. It's already added to the readme's object list.

Worldligreg Worm isn't dead, y'all, don't worry. Here's a new planet called Troymun, which will be a new trojan of Kerbmun.

Screen_Shot_2020-01-30_at_3.png

i'm really proud of it
fits in really well with all the other planets in the mod, from a realistic and stylization standpoint

Think it's real good, right?

WELL YOU'VE BEEN FOOLED! TRICKED! BAMBOOZLED!

This isn't Troymun, this is Themis, from my friend @SnailsAttack's Dauntless Planet Pack. This was a sneaky advertisement this whole time!

Screen_Shot_2020-01-30_at_6.54.06_PM.png?width=723&height=407

Similar to Whirligig World's Kerbmun Homeworld option, Dauntless Planet Pack puts the space center on an Earth-like homeworld orbiting a super-earth called Orpheus. Except this isn't just a binary--it's a ternary, since the homeworld Eurydice has a trojan moon called Themis.

I've been following Snails' planet pack development for the past over a year now, and have long been impressed by the exaggerated and stylized terrain forms he's come up with. It's a far cry from the attempted pseudo-realism of Whirligig World, but it sure looks cool.

Screen_Shot_2020-01-25_at_1.23.01_AM.png?width=723&height=407

Screen_Shot_2020-01-24_at_8.05.39_PM.png?width=429&height=407Screen_Shot_2020-01-24_at_4.52.56_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2020-01-21_at_6.03.35_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2020-01-18_at_3.25.37_PM.png

Snails actually beat me to the idea of putting a red dwarf in a close orbit around the Sun (As Limnel is in the upcoming Whirligig World). His M dwarf looks great, I gotta say.

You can follow the development of Snails' Dauntless Planet Pack by going to my Gregrox Mods Discord Channel, which there are links to in my signature and in the OP of this forum thread. You can also see updates about Whirligig World.

8Req6EP.png

17 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

When I release Limnel, sure. It's already added to the readme's object list.

Worldligreg Worm isn't dead, y'all, don't worry. Here's a new planet called Troymun, which will be a new trojan of Kerbmun.

Screen_Shot_2020-01-30_at_3.png

i'm really proud of it
fits in really well with all the other planets in the mod, from a realistic and stylization standpoint

Think it's real good, right?

WELL YOU'VE BEEN FOOLED! TRICKED! BAMBOOZLED!

This isn't Troymun, this is Themis, from my friend @SnailsAttack's Dauntless Planet Pack. This was a sneaky advertisement this whole time!

Screen_Shot_2020-01-30_at_6.54.06_PM.png?width=723&height=407

Similar to Whirligig World's Kerbmun Homeworld option, Dauntless Planet Pack puts the space center on an Earth-like homeworld orbiting a super-earth called Orpheus. Except this isn't just a binary--it's a ternary, since the homeworld Eurydice has a trojan moon called Themis.

I've been following Snails' planet pack development for the past over a year now, and have long been impressed by the exaggerated and stylized terrain forms he's come up with. It's a far cry from the attempted pseudo-realism of Whirligig World, but it sure looks cool.

Screen_Shot_2020-01-25_at_1.23.01_AM.png?width=723&height=407

Screen_Shot_2020-01-24_at_8.05.39_PM.png?width=429&height=407Screen_Shot_2020-01-24_at_4.52.56_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2020-01-21_at_6.03.35_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2020-01-18_at_3.25.37_PM.png

Snails actually beat me to the idea of putting a red dwarf in a close orbit around the Sun (As Limnel is in the upcoming Whirligig World). His M dwarf looks great, I gotta say.

You can follow the development of Snails' Dauntless Planet Pack by going to my Gregrox Mods Discord Channel, which there are links to in my signature and in the OP of this forum thread. You can also see updates about Whirligig World.

8Req6EP.png

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Kopernicus has been updated! Time for much rejoicing, right? Wrong!

Whirligig World requires Kopernicus Expansions: Regional PQS and EmissiveFX. These mods are not updated for 1.8.1 and will not work as is.

Also SnailsAttack just remade Mally for me because I couldn't be bothered. Not gonna show y'all any pics because that'd spoil it, but it looks a lot cooler than it did before.

• 4 weeks later...

Whirligig World has been unplayable in the new version for too long! This week I hope to release a 1.8.1 and 1.7.3 compatible version of Whirligig World.

Unfortunately the 1.8.1 compatible version won't have the following features:

• EmissiveFX (glowing lava) for Yalthe's lava lakes.
  • New fancy terrain shaders on Mesbin.

I've decided to point out all the peculiarities I find in how you name your planets (and a few other things).

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, just questioning some of the things in Whirligig and showing you some issues you might want to resolve. Most of these are bodies that I think you should rename, but then again I'm just some KSP player who honestly hasn't played this planet pack yet (waiting for 1.8.1). You can ignore me if you like.

On 10/15/2017 at 7:01 AM, GregroxMun said:

Jifgif: Small minor moon.

The beginning portion of this moon's name is the only reason I will ever pronounce it jif. After all it doesn't stand for jraphics interchange format :P 

Etrograd: Gray, retrograde moon.

You literally just chopped off the first and last letter of retrograde. I mean, people who don't know that term would think this is a cool name, but, we all play KSP here :P  I'd recommend trying to make it more unique.

Mesbin: An oblate airless world with a rotation period of 28 minutes, gravity of 13 gees at the poles, and 1.3 at the equator.

• Statmun: Tiny, dense moon in a Mesbin-Stationary orbit.
  • Thresomin: MINor moon in a THree to one RESOnance.
  • Graymun: Gray moon.
  • Kerbmun: Very Kerbin-like moon.
  • Troymin: TROjan MINor moon of Kerbmun.
  • Derbin: Superterrestrial-mass planet in a distant binary orbit with Mesbin.
    • Derminmus: Largish minor submoon with a similar spectral type as Minmus.

All of these end in -bin if they are a planet, and -mun or -min if they are moons. -mun is for large moons and -min(mus) is for small ones.

I'd honestly suggest changing a few of them to be less monotonous and more unique, but these are probably fine without renaming.

Lito: Enormous earth-mass ice moon.

Unshuffled: Tilo, or Tylo. Shuffles are kinda boring of names, even if they are somewhat related to the planet you shuffled. I recommend a rename :)

Yalthe: Little hot moon.

Unshuffled: Laythe. I recommend a rename.

Tyepolbynar: A warm Jupiter that gets more light than Venus.

Have I mentioned that you name some of the planets really weirdly? I really think you should take out a syllable or two.

Yawer: This moon seems to blink on and off every hour or so.

"Yawer" probably means "something that yaws", or spins on an axis as a planet with no axial tilt would. I don't know for sure, but it sounds like this moon has one dark side and one light side, which it alternates via "yawing" around its axis.

This is a pretty obvious hint towards that, and I think it's too obvious of a hint.

(Here's a useful hint for naming anything: try translating related words to Greek or Latin and using those words as general ideas for the planet names.)

Lowel: Planet known to be in Gememma's habitable zone.

After some looking around, I determined this one was probably named after https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percival_Lowell . How did I do this? I searched up Lowel on Wikipedia, which redirected to Lowell, and I ctrl-F'd and searched for "astronomer". Maybe I should do all this looking upping for the other ones.

Plus, I rememebred somewhere someone else made this connection because of the "canals", but I totally didn't just copy their connections and assumptions and put them here. okay maybe I did.

And is this going to be a Kerbin-like planet that they can move all their kerbals to? I think it'd be an interesting idea.

(Spoilered image to use less space)

Spoiler

cRasbvh.png

Statmun (seen from near the Mesbin Space Center)

Why is Statmun half as blurry as gas giants orbiting another star? Either you need to really blur up those binary blue giants (and all those other planets :P), or you need to put a higher resolution image here. You should be able to literally take a camera out to the surface and take a picture to see Statmun in better quality, unless it's smaller or more distant than I thought.

Well, this is all I can think of at the moment. I hope these small issues I've brought light to are either explained or solved. I also really hope you don't take this in the wrong way. It's not designed to be insulting or rude, just a post where I could tell you about things I find nonsatisfactory in the mod that isn't annoying-to-fix gosh darn planet details or annoying-to-fix gosh darn mod 1.8.1 support.

1 hour ago, LittleBitMore said:

I've decided to point out all the peculiarities I find in how you name your planets (and a few other things).

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, just questioning some of the things in Whirligig and showing you some issues you might want to resolve. Most of these are bodies that I think you should rename, but then again I'm just some KSP player who honestly hasn't played this planet pack yet (waiting for 1.8.1). You can ignore me if you like.

The beginning portion of this moon's name is the only reason I will ever pronounce it jif. After all it doesn't stand for jraphics interchange format :P 

You literally just chopped off the first and last letter of retrograde. I mean, people who don't know that term would think this is a cool name, but, we all play KSP here :P  I'd recommend trying to make it more unique.

All of these end in -bin if they are a planet, and -mun or -min if they are moons. -mun is for large moons and -min(mus) is for small ones.

I'd honestly suggest changing a few of them to be less monotonous and more unique, but these are probably fine without renaming.

Unshuffled: Tilo, or Tylo. Shuffles are kinda boring of names, even if they are somewhat related to the planet you shuffled. I recommend a rename :)

Unshuffled: Laythe. I recommend a rename.

Have I mentioned that you name some of the planets really weirdly? I really think you should take out a syllable or two.

"Yawer" probably means "something that yaws", or spins on an axis as a planet with no axial tilt would. I don't know for sure, but it sounds like this moon has one dark side and one light side, which it alternates via "yawing" around its axis.

This is a pretty obvious hint towards that, and I think it's too obvious of a hint.

(Here's a useful hint for naming anything: try translating related words to Greek or Latin and using those words as general ideas for the planet names.)

After some looking around, I determined this one was probably named after https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percival_Lowell . How did I do this? I searched up Lowel on Wikipedia, which redirected to Lowell, and I ctrl-F'd and searched for "astronomer". Maybe I should do all this looking upping for the other ones.

Plus, I rememebred somewhere someone else made this connection because of the "canals", but I totally didn't just copy their connections and assumptions and put them here. okay maybe I did.

And is this going to be a Kerbin-like planet that they can move all their kerbals to? I think it'd be an interesting idea.

Why is Statmun half as blurry as gas giants orbiting another star? Either you need to really blur up those binary blue giants (and all those other planets :P), or you need to put a higher resolution image here. You should be able to literally take a camera out to the surface and take a picture to see Statmun in better quality, unless it's smaller or more distant than I thought.

Well, this is all I can think of at the moment. I hope these small issues I've brought light to are either explained or solved. I also really hope you don't take this in the wrong way. It's not designed to be insulting or rude, just a post where I could tell you about things I find nonsatisfactory in the mod that isn't annoying-to-fix gosh darn planet details or annoying-to-fix gosh darn mod 1.8.1 support.

I know your intention wasn't to be rude, and I appreciate you explicitly saying it wasn't, but for a balanced critique you should really try to focus just as much on positive stuff as the negative.

With that out of the way, a response:

First of all: I'm not changing any planet names.

• Jifgif: that's the joke, in fact the description for this moon points out that astronomers got caught up in debates/brawls about the correct pronunciation. The name is also a pun that I will not spoil.
  • Etrograd: Well it is a retrograde moon, after all. Mesbinites don't have much mythology of their own to take names from, sometimes they just say what they see.
  • The consistent terminology of the Mesbin system's moons is very much intentional, reflecting a very serious and descriptive take at naming these worlds. The etymology of Thresomin and Troymin are right there!
  • Lito and Yalthe are both scrambled up Tylo and Laythe. Reander is Meander with an R. This is a holdover from when the mod was very young and Lito and Yalthe were more analogous to Tylo and Laythe.
  • Tyepolbynar is literally my favorite name in the entire mod. But you're not the first person to suggest it sucks. The description of the planet alludes to Mesbinites having a tough time with the name and suggests the alternative nickname Typoball. But Tyepolbynar will always be the official name.
  • Yawer does yaw. In-universe the description suggests there's a conlang in which the word Yawer means "blinker," which it does. Again, it should be very obvious at this point that the frank naming conventions of many of these worlds is a stylistic choice.
  • Lowel was absolutely named after Lowell. Lowel as a planet name actually dates back to before Whirligig World was first imagined.
  • All the astrophotos suck and will be remade when 1.0 comes out. The bloom effect doesn't look good. Statmun's angular size from the space center is comparable to that of the Moon. This photo clearly does not represent the best photos of Statmun, but something taken with a powerful zoom on a camera. If I showed Statmun in too much detail then the impetus to visit it would be gone!

It's actually not really trivial to rename a planet, so late in the development process. I have to make sure every single config file that references the planet is changed, and there's a lot. Not just the planet config, but any planets orbiting it, the description files, the science definitions, mod support files, all the texture filenames. Unless there's a really good reason (like if a name is offensive or sounds just really bad to me, or I come up with a much better name) then it's hard to justify the tedium and risk of accident involved.

https://github.com/GregroxMun/Whirligig-World/releases/tag/0.12

What's on the Limb of Kaywell?

It's Limnel! Kaywell was too big for its brightness so it needed some help from an early-M Red Dwarf to keep its planets in line as we lowered its mass.

New Features:

• Update to be compatible with Kopernicus 1.8.1-1. Remove support for Kopernicus Expansions.
  • Limnel, new star in close binary orbit with Kaywell.
  • Kaywell-A is less massive, but the combined mass and luminosity of Kaywell-A and Limnel equals that of the old Kaywell.
  • Setting patch in settings.cfg to turn Limnel and Kaywell into a binary. By default, Kaywell-A remains at the barycenter.
  • New terrain for Mesbin, including tectonic rifts and different noise mods.
  • Entirely new terrain for Yalthe and Yokane, supporting HazardousBody features.
  • Entirely new terrain for Mally by SnailsAttack (I couldn't be bothered)
  • Raise surface gravity of Mandrake & Rutherford's little moons.
  • Three new flags: KaywellLimnelFlag, Amerikerbmun and Trans Kerbmun.
  • Support for some of Bluedog Design Bureau's science definitions.
  • Better cloud maps in EVE for many planets.
  • Fix broken SOI transitions on tiny/close-in minor worlds throughout the system, including Statmun.
  • Rewritten Mystery Goo science reports to be a biological sample exposure experiment.
  • Fix the vacuum engines patch.
  • New biome map for Yeerbor.
  • Raise Mesbin's KSC and its foundation up by 400 meters.
  • Remove biome mask modification from BG deployable experiments.
  • Fix dependency on Kopernicus Expansions
  • Fix broken and/or weird terrain material settings on many planets using the new 1.8.1 shaders.
  • Fix weird KSC foundations color with 1.8.1 shaders.
  • Replace Kopernicus Expansions EmissiveFX with EVE CityLights. Unfortunately for Yalthe and Yokane you must tab over to those moons in the tracking station, open up the EVE menu, select the CityLights config manager, and hit "apply," for the lights to show up in scaledspace.