[1.12.x] Whirligig World Planetary System: An Absurd Homeworld In An Alien Solar System. 0.13.0: Dermun! Ice worlds! Better Scatterer!

GregroxMun

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I recently started a career mode save in this system, and it's amazing! The challenges starting from Mesbin are totally different than on Kerbin, and it's really fun to explore them. For example, after setting up a refueling base at Thresomin, I eventually got it to work, but not before running into problems that I totally didn't see coming.

(Minor spoilers for docking in Thresomin orbit. Everything I describe is a logical consequence of information already on this thread, but it was fun to discover for myself, and you might feel the same way.)

Spoiler
  • Thresomin orbits so close to Mesbin that the capture burn doesn't fit inside its SOI (unless your craft's TWR is above 90 m/s2 for some reason). The mid-burn SOI change resets the maneuver display, making it unreliable for inserting into a specific orbit. I was able to get around this switching SAS from "hold maneuver" to "hold orbital retrograde" right after entering the SOI, and capturing into whatever orbit that resulted in. Once in orbit, maneuvering to rendezvous with the refueling base was cheap and easy due to Thresomin's small size.

• Mesbin is still quite large in the sky, and eclipses Kaywell-Limnel about 14% of the time (12 minutes of each 85-minute day). None of Mesbin's atmosphere is visible, so no refraction occurs, and when using Scatterer eclipses, the craft is in complete darkness. This happened during my docking attempt, and everything was so dark that I couldn't see where the craft that I was trying to refuel was. I was using an untrained pilot, so I had to manually keep pointing the base's claw at the target indicator on the navball. It took multiple tries, but I eventually got it to attach successfully (at a weird angle, but that doesn't matter for resource transfer).

• During the docking maneuver, I used the standard procedure of matching velocities with the target, and then firing the engines to go at about 1 m/s towards the target. Normally, this works fine, but here, the initial orbit was only at a velocity of 8 m/s, and the added impulse was enough to lower the periapsis of the docked crafts to an altitude of 600 m. It was still above zero, so I didn't notice the problem until I activated time warp (to wait for Mesbin to stop blocking Kaywell), and they crashed into a mountain.

After reloading back to right after docking and raising my periapsis into a stable orbit, I was able to get my lander to Kerbmun successfully. Using the base was way cheaper than going there directly, and it made the mission quite a bit more fun and interesting!

Also, I really like the diversity of moons in the system. So many other planet packs focus too much (in my opinion) on the planets, with only a few moons. Whirligig World does the exact opposite: there are moons everywhere, of all shapes and sizes, making the system feel so much more complete. The Mesbin-Derbin system, for instance, has nine explorable bodies plus a binary trojan and an asteroid belt, and its diversity is completely unmatched by any other planetary system I've ever seen in KSP.

On 9/9/2022 at 6:40 AM, yoarebignoob said:

are there easter eggs

Sort of, but no custom surface constructs. Monoliths, randoliths, and various stock 'easter egg' constructs can be found on whirligig world's planets, but these are just due to the fact that most Kopernicus planets use templates of stock planets, and i haven't bothered individually removing the PQSCity instances from whirligig world's worlds.

There's some funny references in flavor text, but perhaps the best easter eggs are the [redacted]

Spoiler

There is a sort of an easter egg progression in whirligig world. i won't tell you anything about it or how to do it, and if you think you've found it, feel free to direct message me on discord or private message me on the forums to share your progress, but please, keep your revelations a secret for everyone else. If you want to know how it starts, consider:

Spoiler

Kerbals aren't able to explore the north pole of Mesbin on foot, the gravity's too high. So there's a lot about that gravitational environment that we just don't know about.

--------------------------------------

On 9/26/2022 at 10:32 PM, Leganeski said:

Also, I really like the diversity of moons in the system. So many other planet packs focus too much (in my opinion) on the planets, with only a few moons. Whirligig World does the exact opposite: there are moons everywhere, of all shapes and sizes, making the system feel so much more complete. The Mesbin-Derbin system, for instance, has nine explorable bodies plus a binary trojan and an asteroid belt, and its diversity is completely unmatched by any other planetary system I've ever seen in KSP.

I'm glad you're enjoying Whirligig World.

In general I do feel that satellite planets and minor planets are overlooked in science communication about the real world solar system, so I make sure to provide plenty of representation for both in Whirligig World. Satellite planets are where the real action is, not just from a planetary science standpoint, but from an orbital mechanics standpoint. They're so much more interesting to maneuver around and between compared to the hurry up and wait of interplanetary transfers.

On 8/16/2022 at 4:51 AM, tilliepops said:

@GregroxMun after Whirligig World whats next?

Week World Planet Jam --a collaboration between 10 modders to make a solar system within one week. It's now released.

Edited by GregroxMun
the link embed was to the wrong mod? huh?

Spoiler

Kerbals aren't able to explore the north pole of Mesbin on foot, the gravity's too high. So there's a lot about that gravitational environment that we just don't know about.

i did sort of get to the north pole also by a rover and some lovely glitch abusing. (i reloaded and loaded saves to get science on deez poles)

i sort of did go to the north and south pole by rovers. (not the 90 degree on south)

should i land kerbals on reander due to the fact that it has a solid surface???

Edited by yoarebignoob

its great to see another gal (back in/still in) the KSP modding community!! im not sure if you remember me (formerly noah the smol, used to be extraordinarily irritating) but im so happy to see that whirligig still works and you're still doing well!

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2022 at 2:47 PM, MrCATZS said:

I just want an sience report saying you spin me right round round

image.png

sure thing

On 10/2/2022 at 6:51 AM, Syczek said:

Is possible to add this solar system as standalone one not replacer??

it has compatibility with an old mod called Interstellar Consortium, which handles homeworld swapping with other star systems installed, though i have no idea if that plugin still works.

• 4 weeks later...