GregroxMun

[1.7.3] Whirligig World Planetary System: An Absurd Homeworld In An Alien Solar System. 0.11.0 10/14/2019

Recommended Posts

I was in the mood to do some more testing regarding the contract completion in career mode we were discussing a couple weeks ago.  I did a quick investigation using Kerbmun as the homeworld and both the "Launch First Vessel" and "Escape the Atmosphere" completed successfully.  These were the contracts that were not completing on Mesbin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2018 at 10:41 PM, Adstriduum said:

Perhaps and intermediate sized object orbiting in Shol's L4 point?

Possibly the size of Mercury (/10 of course.)

Or perhaps you can reuse the old Lito as some boring ice moon/dwarf planet.

Lito as a general template is a good placeholder or low-effort unimportant icy world, but I suspect it's more likely to be found in a different planet mod.

If I do put something near Shol it's gonna be its own object, not just a baked Mercury. Perhaps a tidally locked world with a thin atmosphere and warm water life on the night side. Imagine: a colony powered by geothermal nuclear power, living under the dim red light of Gememma and the bright glow of Shol. Alien life forms thrive in the radiothermal vents, providing vast ecosystems which, while Kerbals can not eat, provide useful biomatter for their own farms. Meanwhile an unstable little asteroid moonlet, blasting white light into the sky like a third and brightest sun, rises over the horizon.

Man it's a shame planetshine is limited to one body at a time!

Anyway the above object is not confirmed or even all that likely, I am not really looking at adding any objects larger than, say Vesta. Not to Kaywell at least, Gememma could still be more populated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

Lito as a general template is a good placeholder or low-effort unimportant icy world, but I suspect it's more likely to be found in a different planet mod.

If I do put something near Shol it's gonna be its own object, not just a baked Mercury. Perhaps a tidally locked world with a thin atmosphere and warm water life on the night side. Imagine: a colony powered by geothermal nuclear power, living under the dim red light of Gememma and the bright glow of Shol. Alien life forms thrive in the radiothermal vents, providing vast ecosystems which, while Kerbals can not eat, provide useful biomatter for their own farms. Meanwhile an unstable little asteroid moonlet, blasting white light into the sky like a third and brightest sun, rises over the horizon.

Man it's a shame planetshine is limited to one body at a time!

Anyway the above object is not confirmed or even all that likely, I am not really looking at adding any objects larger than, say Vesta. Not to Kaywell at least, Gememma could still be more populated.

That sounds like an excellent setting for a sci-fi story... I'll add writing it to the list of things I'm too busy to do!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because someone stole my textures without permission but also because math is not art, I'm altering the license of the textures Ellipsoid.png, Prolate_Height.png, and the old deprecated texture Triaxial_Ellipsoid.png

The new license for these three textures is no longer the default All Rights Reserved copyright as with the rest of the mod, it is now Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0). You can use these textures freely as long as you aren't making money off of them, you attribute them to me, and you distribute these textures under the same license (the rest of your mod can be whatever license you want and are allowed to use, only the ellipsoid textures need to be licensed with CC BY-NC-SA.) Version 0.8 will include the modified license in the readme, but this applies retroactively to previous versions.

Attribution should be by my username: Gregrox, or GregroxMun, and link to the WhirligigWorld forum thread or Spacedock page.

Obviously if you construct ellipsoid heightmaps on your own you won't have to deal with this license.

All of the above were being used without permission in Better Dres. They were also using Didd's ridge, which is not allowed. Didd's ridge is artwork, not math, and so it remains under ARR. I have been communicating with the developer, who didn't realize another developer had sourced the textures from my mod. I decided to let them use WW's ellipsoid maps, as long as they remove Didd's ridge heightmap and attribute me. And so, needing a formal way of legally attributing me, I've had to relicense these textures. EDIT: They are now no longer using any textures from WhirligigWorld, which makes the point rather moot.

Edited by GregroxMun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So for some reason people are downloading v0.3 a LOT on spacedock, even after that version became obsolete. Something has gone wrong somewhere. Perhaps someone posted a direct download link to the first version on Spacedock somewhere,  I don't know. But if your game looks very different, if Mesbin is covered in a lot of craters, and if you're missing planets,  then you have the wrong version.

If YOU set up the direct link, kindly stop that behavior, both for WW and in general. The info on the Spacedock and the forum thread is important and that's super sketchy. If you downloaded post-obsolete 0.3 intentionally, let me know that, and let me know why.

 

EDIT: i just pulled 0.3. If you must have it,  PM me.

Edited by GregroxMun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the release of 1.6 this morning and my GPP career wrapping up (Colony ship to Nodens!) I think it's time to jump into this mod! I've been looking forward to it for a while, but I'd like some questions answered if I may ask them.

 

I don't know much anything about this system- aside from the homeworld- and I always thought it would be fun to actually discover the planets. What mods would allow me to do this that would work with this pack and have active enough development for a smooth and speedy update for 1.6? What about Kopernicus? I've heard of ResearchBodies but I know nothing about it.

 

Is the tech tree shuffled around at all such that I'm getting engines right off the bat and not wasting my science on fins and parachutes early-game? Might probes come first?

 

Are there any other mods that would make this pack more fun? I've never had mods aside from planets and Distant Object.

 

Thanks! Looking forward to playing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, darwinpatrick said:

I don't know much anything about this system- aside from the homeworld- and I always thought it would be fun to actually discover the planets. What mods would allow me to do this that would work with this pack and have active enough development for a smooth and speedy update for 1.6? What about Kopernicus? I've heard of ResearchBodies but I know nothing about it.

I'd either wait until ResearchBodies is updated, or use 1.5.1, as its fairly soon after release and most mods aren't updated yet. I don't know of an alternative to RB.

35 minutes ago, darwinpatrick said:

Is the tech tree shuffled around at all such that I'm getting engines right off the bat and not wasting my science on fins and parachutes early-game? Might probes come first?

It's shuffled around enough that it makes more sense, but not extremely shuffled. It makes way more sense for this pack than the stock one. And yes, I do think you get a probe core to start, but it's a very heavy one. The tree changes are listed in the OP.

36 minutes ago, darwinpatrick said:

Are there any other mods that would make this pack more fun? I've never had mods aside from planets and Distant Object.

Some recommended mods are in the OP.

37 minutes ago, darwinpatrick said:

Thanks! Looking forward to playing!

I hope you enjoy it, and I hope you will consider posting updates on the forum! I will certainly read them if you do!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright! I'm playing GPP Primary as a "minigame" for a few days. Grannus system only. Should be fun!

 

Feel free to ping me when I can jump into Whirligig!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, darwinpatrick said:

Alright! I'm playing GPP Primary as a "minigame" for a few days. Grannus system only. Should be fun!

 

Feel free to ping me when I can jump into Whirligig!

Oh, also, forgot to mention, hooligan labs airship parts is a good mod for this mod. Maybe also anything that adds electric propellers. Not to spoil much, but this pack has several planets with very thick atmospheres, where ascent without balloon would be extremely impractical.

...In fact, I've worked on my Whirligig save in the first time in a long time, and I designed a ballooned ascent vehicle today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, darwinpatrick said:

With the release of 1.6 this morning and my GPP career wrapping up (Colony ship to Nodens!) I think it's time to jump into this mod! I've been looking forward to it for a while, but I'd like some questions answered if I may ask them.

I don't know much anything about this system- aside from the homeworld- and I always thought it would be fun to actually discover the planets. What mods would allow me to do this that would work with this pack and have active enough development for a smooth and speedy update for 1.6? What about Kopernicus? I've heard of ResearchBodies but I know nothing about it.

Is the tech tree shuffled around at all such that I'm getting engines right off the bat and not wasting my science on fins and parachutes early-game? Might probes come first?

Are there any other mods that would make this pack more fun? I've never had mods aside from planets and Distant Object.

Thanks! Looking forward to playing!

  1. We will have to wait for Kopernicus to be updated to 1.6. I'm going to release a small update, WW v0.7.5, shortly after Kopernicus 1.6.1-1 is released. I've never properly played with ResearchBodies because I feel like it's not quite what I want, but afaict how it works is you will slowly and randomly discover new bodies (there is easy, normal, and hard modes which determine whether most, many, or few bodies have been discovered yet, I think those are controlled in the save file settings menu) and you'll be able to target them. If you manage to fly by them without them being discovered by telescope, you'll officially discover them. Before you discover them, their orbit line and selectability will be disabled. I believe there are also space telescopes which can be used to discover planets. Easy mode starts with all planets and major moons discovered, normal mode starts with all planets discovered except around Gememma, and hard mode starts with only naked eye bodies, iirc.
    1. or you can just not zoom in on the bodies until you visit them with a spacecraft up close. A telescope mod with a functioning zoom may be a good idea in that case.
  2. The tech tree is changed properly, as outlined in the OP.
  3. Recommended mods are also in the OP.

I look forward to hearing how your gameplay goes. Do consider making a mission report about it, I love reading them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, GregroxMun said:
  1. We will have to wait for Kopernicus to be updated to 1.6. I'm going to release a small update, WW v0.7.5, shortly after Kopernicus 1.6.1-1 is released. I've never properly played with ResearchBodies because I feel like it's not quite what I want, but afaict how it works is you will slowly and randomly discover new bodies (there is easy, normal, and hard modes which determine whether most, many, or few bodies have been discovered yet, I think those are controlled in the save file settings menu) and you'll be able to target them. If you manage to fly by them without them being discovered by telescope, you'll officially discover them. Before you discover them, their orbit line and selectability will be disabled. I believe there are also space telescopes which can be used to discover planets. Easy mode starts with all planets and major moons discovered, normal mode starts with all planets discovered except around Gememma, and hard mode starts with only naked eye bodies, iirc.
    1. or you can just not zoom in on the bodies until you visit them with a spacecraft up close. A telescope mod with a functioning zoom may be a good idea in that case.
  2. The tech tree is changed properly, as outlined in the OP.
  3. Recommended mods are also in the OP.

I look forward to hearing how your gameplay goes. Do consider making a mission report about it, I love reading them.

Thanks for the info! I don't use the forums all too much so I'm not sure if I should put my mission log in this thread or make a brand new one. What would be best?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, darwinpatrick said:

Thanks for the info! I don't use the forums all too much so I'm not sure if I should put my mission log in this thread or make a brand new one. What would be best?

Make a new one in the fan works / mission reports forum. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can verify that Whirligig World works mostly fine in Kopernicus 1.6.0-1. However, Gememma's sun flare has vanished!

 

EDIT: In flight and map, it flickers horribly. Working on it. It's a real shame, because I was going to release a new update, but the Gememma flicker bug is so annoying that I will be holding off on releasing the update until it's fixed, either through Kopernicus updates or through unfortunate compromises like removing Gememma's flare entirely.

Edited by GregroxMun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

QvnJzn6.png

The VAB, now open to space, proved terrific breathing for ground crews. Did I say terrific? I meant terrifying. (Requires Sigma Editor-View)

unknown.png

Pragnik's least flattering side.

WW 0.8.0 Changelog

* Moved small fuel cell to Space Exploration to allow for mining if the player hasn't unlocked solar panels.
* New body: Pragnik, a Trans-Mandrutherford Dwarf Planet.
* Art pass for Aerious.
* Art pass for Vizea.
* Tidally lock Oshan to Valyr, make the atmosphere blue again.
* Fixed the Tech Tree, Science Definitions, and Space Center for the Kerbmun Homeworld Patch.
* Fixed Totooa's terrain color referencing a map which didn't exist.
* Add a Wolfhound nerf patch because I hate that engine. It's now a service module engine matching the thrust of the Apollo SPS. (But with a somewhat higher Isp.) The Skiff is now as good as the Wolfhound was, because that makes more sense as the powerful high efficiency vacuum engine. If you don't like the patch it's easily removed, but also I will be judging you harshly.
* Change orbit icons for minor and dwarf bodies, as well as Gememma and Mesbin.
* New known issue: Module Manager reports 25 warnings, likely related to the Kerbmun patches, but this does not seem to interfere with the game.
* Fix a science definition which had a typo.

 

Download 0.8.0 at Spacedock: https://spacedock.info/mod/1805/Whirligig World

 

Gememma will still flicker sometimes in 1.6.0-1, but that should be fixed with the next version of Kopernicus.

 

Edited by GregroxMun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweet! Life’s been busy but this weekend I’m gonna go for it! Does researchbodies work as is or is some extra stuff required?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, darwinpatrick said:

Sweet! Life’s been busy but this weekend I’m gonna go for it! Does researchbodies work as is or is some extra stuff required?

RB should work as-is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: ResearchBodies is glitchy, doesn't work well with Whirligig, and the contracts are bugged. Can't launch or get to "space". Not sure what to do... I plan on deleting the thread I made but some advice would go a long way.

 

Thanks!

 

Edit: I realize now that I've been spamming, so I'll keep this short. 

I know there's a lot to do but I was wondering if there was a fix anywhere for the bugged contracts "Lauch our first vessel" and "Escape the atmosphere". It's a bit annoying for career and I'm not sure what to do.

Edited by darwinpatrick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.