[1.12.x] Whirligig World Planetary System: An Absurd Homeworld In An Alien Solar System. 0.13.0: Dermun! Ice worlds! Better Scatterer!

Whirligig Girl

15 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

please note that this contains a spoiler about Imterril, so it'd be nice if you'd put it in spoiler tags!

It's a clever idea to make this, but to me it takes the fun out of it just a bit from the perspective of a new player, so I won't be putting it in the OP.

Huh. it never did occur to me that somebody in this game may launch an interplanetary mission without knowing what he'll find at the destination...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/11/2022 at 11:47 AM, GregroxMun said:

it has compatibility with an old mod called Interstellar Consortium, which handles homeworld swapping with other star systems installed, though i have no idea if that plugin still works.

the plugin kind of works, i recently tested it, but it messes up the graphics and changes the names of everything to be exoplanet-y

On 10/5/2023 at 10:13 PM, warcrimeswilly said:

the plugin kind of works, i recently tested it, but it messes up the graphics and changes the names of everything to be exoplanet-y

that might be a result of how WW handles visual mods--Mesbin is technically "Kerbin," so if you have visual mods, and Mesbin is no longer Kerbin, then things could get weird. The names and descriptions are a result of a compatibility patch in Whirligig World itself.

https://github.com/GregroxMun/Whirligig-World/blob/master/GameData/WhirligigWorld/ModCompatibility/InterstellarConsortium/IC_Descriptions.cfg

• 3 months later...

this mod is pretty revolutionary for whirligig world.

so now i'm prototyping a version of mesbin which uses a gravitational equipotential surface based on a point mass--essentially, gravity will be level everywhere on the planet instead of just the equator and poles. This is also somewhat more realistic, since we should expect Mesbin to have a dense core due to gravitational compression--although the actual realistic figure would probably be a little wider than this.

rTvZCd1.png

62t49sj.png

RFzW4u6.png

5Z4kN1R.png

This particular shape is defined by keeping the mass, polar radius, and polar gravity constant, and then finding a rotation period (changing both the actual rotation period, and the rotation period setting in the new PQSmod) where the equatorial gravity was roughly the same as before. Except it turns out, through sheer coincidence, the equatorial surface gravity ended up being exactly the same as before.

The new rotation period is 1204s or 20 minutes, 4 seconds. Statmun and Thresomin have had their orbits lowered to account for the change.

The maximum aspect ratio of a lenticular planet with a point equipotential is 1:1.5. At that aspect ratio, the planet is spinning at a rate such that its equator is at zero gees and the equator comes to a sharp angular point. Any faster and the planet would just start tossing its crust into space rather than getting wider. This is a shame, because Mesbin's aspect ratio is such an iconic aspect of it, so I will also be playing with other shape settings which may be realistic enough (although they will not have a level surface everywhere in KSP) and preserve the original aspect ratio of roughly 1:1.7.

The trouble is, the mass is the same but you're closer to it. So even though it's not harder to get to orbit (since we're rotating faster), it takes noticeably more delta-v to visit the moons and to escape Mesbin. (Although the oberth effect might actually make it worth it when it comes to interplanetary transfers).

There is a branch on github where this prototype can be played with. I'm not sure if I'll ever make it the default or "canon", but it's at least an optional setting that can be enabled.

The point equipotential shape above is cool because it's level everywhere... but it just looks so wrong. from a distance, it doesn't have remotely the right feeling.

So I made a new shape for Mesbin which blends between the point equipotential and an oblate spheroid, thereby keeping the dimensions and properties the same, making the planet a little closer to level everywhere, and it's a good guess for what Mesbin would look like if it were real.

7K4bJog.png

TpiNLkL.png

qf0dCJm.png

FC2mFxT.png

I'm thinking this is going to be the new default.

But this will be something that can be switched using a new setting in Settings.cfg. Options right now are Classic (uses VertexHeightOblateAdvanced to make an oblate spheroid of the same shape as the original Mesbin), ClassicTexture (the current 0.13.0 mesbin which uses a heightmap and has some ring artifacting around the poles), PointEquipotential (shown in the previous message), and Blend (the one shown here).

Love it!  This is exactly the reason I included Blend mode.  Pure PointEquipotential just doesn't quite look right for a lot of bodies, but blending with a standard oblate distortion broadens the lens enough to get something that looks really good!

Oh and as a side note, for ease of use for end users, it is perfectly acceptable, encouraged even, to distribute the VertexHeightOblateAdvanced  dll, readme, and license packaged with Whirligig World in GameData\000_DuckweedUtils\VertexHeightOblateAdvanced\

Edited by Lt_Duckweed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As far as I'm aware, this is the first grand tour of the whole Kaywell-Limnel-Gememma system. I saw someone else trying, but failing.

I suppose I should warn there are spoilers inside, as every celestial body is landed on, often enough it's driven on with a rover or flown on with a plane, and described in detail.

A really great experience, despite all my complaints about the crazy amount of gravity assists I needed in the end to pull off the Ammenon landing and back in a fully reusable fashion.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...