[1.12.x] Whirligig World Planetary System: An Absurd Homeworld In An Alien Solar System. 0.13.0: Dermun! Ice worlds! Better Scatterer!

Whirligig Girl

On 11/24/2020 at 12:54 AM, mirandamiles said:

What is the difference between molar mass and atomic mass? I found this review  https://differencebtwn.com/difference-between-molar-mass-vs-atomic-mass

Not sure how this is relevant to the thread in any way, but I'll answer.

Atomic mass is the mass (in amu) of an individual atom, dependent on how many protons, neutrons, and electrons exist in that atom.

Molar mass is the mass (usually in grams) of one mole of a particular type of atom or chemical. One mole is defined as 6.02 x 10^23 of whatever atomic or chemical unit you're measuring.

6.02x10^23 is known as Avogadro's Number and is a very important constant in chemistry.

Atomic mass and molar mass are numerically equivalent,  with the former being in amu and the latter being in grams.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/27/2020 at 5:00 PM, LittleBitMore said:

Does anyone know if it plays well with recent versions using the Bleeding Edge Kopernicus versions?

It has a few important incompatibilities which I am now working on. Join the Gregrox Mods discord for more information about the WIP builds and changes.

• 2 months later...

Whirligig World 0.12.4 "Holes" for KSP 1.11.x.

https://github.com/GregroxMun/Whirligig-World/releases

Major Changes

• Scatterer support is now mostly finished for all worlds in Whirligig World (except for Derbin and the gas giants).
  • Shadows are now cast between planets and moons using Scatterer and EVE-Redux
  • New terrain materials for almost every celestial body.

KSP & Kopernicus Updates

• Update Scaledspace and PQS materials settings for KSP 1.11.x.
  • Fix Scaledspace/PQS fades for all objects.
  • Fix atmosphere gradients on some worlds.
  • Replace lightColor with waveLength for atmospheric worlds.

Minor Tweaks & Bugfixes

• Add MysteryGoo definitions to Mesbin.
  • Adjust MysteryGoo science definitions to avoid incorrect results in some situations.
  • Unfinished support for SpaceDust, includes antimatter and nothing else yet.
  • Add ambient lighting to Lito & Totooa.
  • Add texture to terrain scatters on Lowel.
  • [REDACTED] now easier to detect around [REDACTED].
  • Tweak EVE/Scatterer mutual compatibility. (Totooa has no haze when scatterer is installed)
  • Add EVE and Scatterer compatibility in the Kerbmun Homeworld Patch.

changelog for WW 1.4.21:

• Mesklinites implemented. Manipulate them into recovering your probes left on the poles.
  • Mesbin deleted
  • Statmun deleted
  • Thresomin deleted
  • Graymun deleted
  • Kerbmun deleted
  • Troymin deleted
  • Derbin deleted
  • Derminmus deleted
  • Added Mesklin, a superjovian mass rapidly rotating planet with a thick hydrogen atmosphere and methane oceans.
    • Rotates once every roughly five minutes.
  • Added Toorey, the Kerbin-mass moon of Mesklin.
  • Kerbals now pass out on the surface at 7 Gees.
  • New contract pack:
    • Recover Probe mission. Impossible to complete without manipulating the local population of Mesklinites.
    • Mapping mission. Difficult to complete with conventional rockets.
    • Explore contracts take into account local "sea level."
  • Space Center moved to Imterril's mantle.
  • Ferram Aerospace Fork Included: includes realistic pressurized water hydrodynamics for launching rockets.
  • Kaywell deleted.
  • Gememma & Limnel mass increase, they are now K-dwarfs.
  • New star/planet: Dhrawn. We're not sure if it's a planet or a star. Its gravity is high enough you will again need to manipulate Mesklinites to do your bidding.
  • Lowel deleted
  • Ollym deleted
  • escape starship deleted
  • escape pods deleted
  • survivors deleted
  • you can't run away.

@GregroxMun why do you keep deleting old mod releases from SpaceDock? This creates problems for CKAN users on older KSP versions, since CKAN tries to download the mod release matching their KSP version. Their downloads are failing with 404s.

Same applies to manually installing users, they won't be able to find older releases for older KSP versions.

Edited by DasSkelett

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

hey, loving the mod.  or at least, mesbin.  very unique.  haven't gotten anywhere else yet.  :P

i wrote a kOS script for generic ascent guidance.  it's really basic.  but i didn't find any other existing scripts designed for optimal *mostly constant altitude ascent on a massive airless body.  and mechjeb just doesn't know what to do with it at all.

behold, 30 minutes of work and no prior experience in kOS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlyf35LJMHU

behold, 3 hours of work and 2.5 hours of prior experience in kOS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAqjdRDIiLA

ships that are slow to respond to input could probably use another alternative PID setup once they get going, but it's not that big a deal.  the acapello v did better than my manual run, anyway.  well.  maybe.  the fuel masses at the start were a tiny bit different.  bottom tank full is too heavy to takeoff.   didn't check circulization dv the second video either.  a rerun with equivalent starting fuel mass left it with 1990 in the first stage.  humans officially outmoded.

the kOS:

Spoiler
set kp to 4.4.
set ki to 0.006.
set kd to 0.08.
set pid to pidloop(kp, ki, kd).
set pid:setpoint to 2.

lock throttle to 1.0.

set roll to ship:facing:roll.
lock steering to up + r(0,0,roll).
stage.

wait until ship:verticalspeed > 3.

until ship:apoapsis >= 1000000 {
	set anglemod to 35.
	if ship:groundspeed < 200 {
		set anglemod to 85 - (ship:groundspeed / 4).
	}
	set pidmod to anglemod + pid:update(time:seconds, ship:verticalspeed).
	if pidmod < 0 {
		lock steering to heading (90, 0).
	}
	else if pidmod > 90 {
		lock steering to heading (90, 90).
	}
	else {
		lock steering to heading (90, anglemod + pid:update(time:seconds, ship:verticalspeed)).
	}

print pidmod.

wait 0.02.
}

Edited by rawhide_k
spoilered big code

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/23/2020 at 2:09 PM, GregroxMun said:

You installed something incorrectly. Check all of your folder directories and make sure you don't have any gamedata folders within folders within gamedata, or mod folders which have version names, etc. Never install Whirligig World through CKAN.

More than a year later and I'm still getting this bug. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

3 minutes ago, zit said:

More than a year later and I'm still getting this bug. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

i can't help you unless you share more info. It goes without saying that I don't get that bug and i don't hear about it from others, so you're doing something incorrectly and to figure out what it is you're going to have to give more information. KSP logs, screenshots of your gamedata folder, etc.

16 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

i can't help you unless you share more info. It goes without saying that I don't get that bug and i don't hear about it from others, so you're doing something incorrectly and to figure out what it is you're going to have to give more information. KSP logs, screenshots of your gamedata folder, etc.

Log files are here:  https://www.file.io/download/QC97G0t5DisP
ZhpOXUd.png

Hello! I understand that this mod is not up to date with 1.12 [Duh] However I was wondering if you could have a small patch to fix a bug with this mod. Specifically, a bug where landing gear and wheels bounce uncontrollably off of mesbin's surface. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2021 at 8:51 PM, Blalo said:

Hello! I understand that this mod is not up to date with 1.12 [Duh] However I was wondering if you could have a small patch to fix a bug with this mod. Specifically, a bug where landing gear and wheels bounce uncontrollably off of mesbin's surface. Thanks!

There is no bugfix for this, it's unintended behavior in the stock landing gear system. Playing around with the settings for the suspension might help.

I actually have a working version of WW for 1.12, I just haven't got around to releasing it yet. Due to depression, I have not been able to work on Whirligig World much lately. Mostly what's left is just minor bugfixes and mod compatibility patches and little tweaks. The first 80% of the mod was done after 20% of the time. The last 20% of the mod is taking 80% of the time.

Truth be told, WW is very near a valid "1.0" state. The main system is complete and not likely to see any major changes.

On 8/24/2021 at 8:51 PM, Blalo said:

In my experience, setting suspension springs to as low as possible (and sometimes dampers to as high as possible) fixes this.

• 3 weeks later...