Anti-spontaneous kersplosion mod?

Billygoat_J

I hope you can forgive me asking a question that has almost certainly been asked many times before, but I don't know the best search terms to find it. This problem has shown up in my other large surface stations using all stock parts. I just downloaded Kerbal Planetary Base Systems and it seems to do the same thing when my base gets big. The only other mods I use are Mechjeb and Kerbal Alarm Clock, so I doubt it's a mod-induced issue. 

It seems to only happen some of the time and only within the first few seconds after switching to the base. I end up holding my breath hoping it will be stable when I first switch to it. If it doesn't start flailing and explode in 30 seconds or so, the base seems to remain fine until the next time I switch to it.

Is there a mod (or some other solution) that will keep my oversized bases intact?

https://i.imgur.com/3A7PJPv.mp4

Not sure which link will work better. Why do I suck at interwebbing?

*Edited because I'm new to this whole imgur link business*

Edited by Billygoat_J

4 hours ago, Billygoat_J said:

Is there a mod (or some other solution) that will keep my oversized bases intact?

2 hours ago, Jas0n said:

Try Kerbal Joint Reinforcement.

Is the correct answer.  BUT having watched the clip this looks very much like  two of the current 1.3.1 physics bugs at work.   

That said  over the span of your base it's spindly nature is imposing very large forces upon the joints, the size of the joint determines it's strength,   and should the joint size simply be too small (, i'm taking a guess they ll be 3's but sizes range from sizes 0 to 7 , ) no amount of KJR will help

I'll give that a shot, then. 

I don't have any intrinsic understanding of KSP's joint sizes or how that affects things. But why can a station go from perfectly stable one day to suddenly shaking itself to pieces like a carnival ride on NOS the next?

2 hours ago, Billygoat_J said:

I'll give that a shot, then. 

I don't have any intrinsic understanding of KSP's joint sizes or how that affects things. But why can a station go from perfectly stable one day to suddenly shaking itself to pieces like a carnival ride on NOS the next?

As mentioned I suspect that one or more physics bugs (real ones) are whats being seen in the clip. The nature of the structure doesn't help, but i doubt it is the ultimate cause all . https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/search?utf8=✓&q=physics

The link above takes you to squad bug tracker and to the related(im guessing ) cause of the problem

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

One thing you can do if there is some flailing before the kerplosion is to hit time warp to reset the physics.  Sometimes this works, other times it makes things worse :wink:

And always quick save before switching to a base.

It’s unfortunate that the physics model in use doesn’t allow terrain clipping for bases.  Building a huge base in KSP inevitably summons a kraken to wipe it out for you.

Or maybe it is just the way that Kerbals make things.

7 hours ago, Oiff said:

One thing you can do if there is some flailing before the kerplosion is to hit time warp to reset the physics.  Sometimes this works, other times it makes things worse :wink:

And always quick save before switching to a base.

It’s unfortunate that the physics model in use doesn’t allow terrain clipping for bases.  Building a huge base in KSP inevitably summons a kraken to wipe it out for you...

Ok, I'll keep that in my bag of tricks. So far the Kerbal Joint Reinforcement that @Jas0n and @SpannerMonkey(smce) suggested seems to be working so far (though I've only gotten to play around with it once since downloading). 

Is it an issue of not clipping terrain? My other big base that this happened to regularly was built entirely from stock parts and so had to be on permanent wheels (aside from the central hub) in order to assemble. It too was in a Minmus basin. I would assume the shock absorbers in the wheels would absorb what miniscule terrain features might show up on Minmus plains.

Yeh my base on minmus jiggles on load but is otherwise fine.  Minmus is great for bases :)

My munar base has kerploded several times on load and the science lab is now permanently at a 30° angle to the rest of the base.

I think the problem is on load that parts that were previously resting on the ground may be detected as being in the ground so they get bounced up violently, on a rigid structure this pushes the other end down violently and so on until something gives.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.