Well the tests with XHC-1 showing it to be unseaworthy it has been scrapped and testing has begun on developing and testing newer vessels with one begining battle tests with in the next 24hrs (waiting for a driver to download to record the video).

Pics for three Protoype ships (X ships):

7TmP4bq.jpg

bLBULra.jpg

5nR3Crt.jpg

6 hours ago, KenjiKrafts said:

@Earthlinger is there a size limit [i know about the part limit] in place and is there a engine type restriction? I have a few but they are all pretty big, like my 1:1 scale Yamato and USS Arizona just depends if I can pull them off the old hard drive. If not I'm still gonna enter :wink:

There is no limit to the volume/dimensions of a craft, just the part count. I'd like to see the Yamato :D

All parts are allowed, (except modded, non-BDA ones) so feel free to be creative in shape and design :)

2 hours ago, Im The One said:

Well the tests with XHC-1 showing it to be unseaworthy it has been scrapped and testing has begun on developing and testing newer vessels with one begining battle tests with in the next 24hrs (waiting for a driver to download to record the video).

Those are some pretty unique ship designs :D

I like the trimaran hull of that last one :)

@Earthlinger right plugged the old SSHD into the laptop and to no avail was I able to retrieve any data, which is a massive shame as I have over 2000hours of tanks and prototype planes and most importantly my Yamato that took bloody like maybe 2-3 days of KSP @ 4-6 hour sessions. What a shame.... However I'll remake it, one final question what is the tournament ran in? [ie what version of KSP]

7 hours ago, KenjiKrafts said:

Is there a 1.2.2 group or strictly 1.3.1?

I'm not too familiar with game versions and compatibility :P The challenge is open to all versions, but I don't know if that will result in issues when sharing craft across versions :/

As far as I know, it's fine as long as the parts haven't changed between versions. I'm pretty sure it's fine unless a weapon has had a stat tweak or armor changed. So- 1.2.2 and 1.3 are very similar versions, so it could work. If you shared anything between .90 and 1.3.1, it would just not work. But it still may not as a craft in 1.2.2 will have a different version of BDAc then 1.3. That's just my 2 cents though.

Edited by TheMadKraken2297
clarifications

11 hours ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

As far as I know, it's fine as long as the parts haven't changed between versions. I'm pretty sure it's fine unless a weapon has had a stat tweak or armor changed. So- 1.2.2 and 1.3 are very similar versions, so it could work. If you shared anything between .90 and 1.3.1, it would just not work. But it still may not as a craft in 1.2.2 will have a different version of BDAc then 1.3. That's just my 2 cents though.

We should be fine then :)

Anyone else on this thread have armour issues with their ships? From what I've seen, the BDA armour plates are only slightly better than the structural plates. Shots from a single Abrams cannon are absolutely devastating:

screenshot458

I'm going to try and make a decent ship with a double or triple layer of armour, cause the entry I currently have will be trampled lol :P

Edited by Earthlinger

13 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

Anyone else on this thread have armour issues with their ships? From what I've seen, the BDA armour plates are only slightly better than the structural plates. Shots from a single Abrams cannon are absolutely devastating:

screenshot458

Sounds like this thread should offer a modded version of the armor panels that are better designed to take hits.

@MiffedStarfish

Right, so I did the match. Unfortunately, my game is being stubborn at the moment and the BDA guard mode doesn't want to operate anything but missiles and Abrams cannons. As such, the battle(s) were tilted in my favour quite a bit, since the cruise missiles somehow kept missing and, once they were all used up, your ship would essentially just...do nothing lol :/

That being said, I was honestly surprised at how long your ship lasted. It tanked four to six shots from the main cannons of my dreadnought before being fully destroyed. More details below, including a picture spam:

The Contestants:

screenshot462

@MiffedStarfish's ship

screenshot463

And mine. Worse armour, but a higher amount of weaponry.

Opening Shots:

screenshot498

(The cannon shots from my ship were too laggy to properly record lol)

screenshot468

The first shot from my ship did little damage (only one engine was knocked out)

The second and third were not recorded because I was focusing on my ship, but here is the fourth:

screenshot500

Some more pics:

screenshot494screenshot496

In the last round/battle (I did three in total), @MiffedStarfish's ship actually kept three of it's cruise missiles. There was a genuinely epic moment where the hull was torn in half but the ship still kept lobbing cruise missiles at my dreadnought, even after it had sunk below the waves and kept exploding every two seconds.

But yeah, I recommend that someone else host this match, because the ship only wanted to fire it's cruise missiles. I tried removing them to see if it would use the hydra turrets or the other weapons, but nothing happened. Therefore, this 'victory' does not count to me :D

GG though

Edited by Earthlinger

Ok thanks, thats an interesting result. It's probably more effective at longer ranges, where nasty 120mm shells dont hit it as much. I'll look it over to see why it wont fire anything except cruise missiles, do you want me to host the match? (what was the starting distance?)

1 minute ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Ok thanks, thats an interesting result. It's probably more effective at longer ranges, where nasty 120mm shells dont hit it as much. I'll look it over to see why it wont fire anything except cruise missiles, do you want me to host the match? (what was the starting distance?)

The starting distance was 5 km. You might want to start it out at 20km though, so that your ship can take advantage of it's missiles. Mine has pretty decent speed (top is 43 m/s) so it should be able to close the gap relatively soon, so long as it's not blown up :D

Oh and I think the missile problem is me. It should be fine on your computer, I think

I've run it quite a few times and found that my version was also only firing cruise missiles. The results were quite predictable, within about 7km the dreadnought destroyed the Rimor every time, while around 10-12km its was about equal, one time destroying each other simultaneously, and past that the Rimor was reliably killing it. I think you should set a starting distance for this challenge, as it changes the results quite considerably. (to stop cruise missile spam you could have different distances for different classes of ship.)

MQBbRio.jpg

Gs8rsPZ.jpg

GY0bxfU.jpg

2 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I think you should set a starting distance for this challenge, as it changes the results quite considerably. (to stop cruise missile spam you could have different distances for different classes of ship.)

Sure, I'll do that.

Can we use NAS and other ship building mods (examples like Large Boats pack or Maritime pack)?  

If not I'll still enter.

EDIT: I made a ship: https://kerbalx.com/TwinKerbal/KSS-Kerbton

Unmodded except BDA, but I can convert it into a destroyer if NAS is allowed.

Edited by TwinKerbal

5 hours ago, TwinKerbal said:

Can we use NAS and other ship building mods (examples like Large Boats pack or Maritime pack)?  

You can use mods if you'll be the one hosting the battle. Also, keep in mind that some of the weapons/hulls in mods outside of BDA may prove to be too overpowering in the face of BDA-exclusive craft.

But sure, go ahead :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.