5 minutes ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

fixed it XD

Noice

On a side note, should we actually get around to making a naval competition? I've thought of some rules, and I think we could make it work well. Only problem would be time restraints/high part counts :P:D

Edited by Earthlinger

1 minute ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

getting around to making a new ship

I need to finish a short story for homework and then I can try my hand at building.........armored ships!!!

I expect you're all horrified :D

I've actually made quite a few prototypes,  but they've all had severe issues lol (I can show you some pics if you want)

23 hours ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

sure show me!

(Sorry for the super late reply lol :D)

Anyways, I managed to dig up four old designs:

Spoiler

To begin with, the predecessor of my current corvettes:

73imB0.pngXY3fIw.png

Dubbed 'Renegade-Class Cruiser,' this ship was intended to serve as a long range, multi-purpose vessel. A decent loadout on the Abrams cannons and good AA defense made it quite versatile. Top speed of 35 m/s when fully loaded, and a respectable turn rate. The problem?

Well, for starters, it was a bit laggy at 280 parts, and secondly, the armor wasn't all that great. This was my first armored ship, and it only had a single layer of structural plates. The engines in particular were prone to being knocked out within minutes. Further evolutions of it featured two to three and sometimes even four layers of armor, but these designs were scrapped. This cruiser could withstand collisions with other craft and small arms fire, and could weather hydra rockets as well as missiles, but was obliterated whenever a Abrams cannon round smacked into it:

TgZ6Aq.png

Looking back now, the part count wasn't bad at all, and I kind of regret deleting the ship :D

But not that much... XD

Spoiler

Second design!

An evolution of the above cruiser :D

A double layer of armor and less engines made it sluggish to turn, but it could tank more shots than all other ships I had made up to that point. Dubbed Renegade 2.0. I scrapped the AA weaponry. Because reasons.

Here it is being before and after being rammed at 60 m/s by a small patrol boat

qcbhOR.pngNrh973.png

Scrapped due to high part count and low speed/poor maneuverability

Spoiler

Third Design!

This is possibly the one I'm most proud of.

A double layer of armor, 30 m/s of speed, and a low part count of 180 made it extremely effective against the other armored prototypes, and even more so against the unarmored ones I had at the time (all of which were super bad lol. The ones I have right now are much better......aesthetically...)

026ntd.pngvt8Obl.png19tEoY.png

I called it 'Vendetta.' Kinda ugly, depending on your views. I think that was one of the (minor) reasons for why I scrapped it.

The main reason, however, was the unfortunate realization that the armor was not very effective due to the fact that taking out the root part would lead to an entire section collapsing/being stripped off. (Oh and also the lack of AA guns made it....vulnerable). I decided that the armor issues were only acceptable if the ship was fast enough to receive glancing blows, so I made the next ship.....

Spoiler

.....Design 4....(oh boy)

This ship was great at ship v ship combat, but only under certain conditions.

5u0LlW.png

Let's start with the pros:

-Great handling and maneuverability, as well as a respectable layer of armor coating the front sections of the ship.

-90 RPM, more than any other ship I had made prior to it.

-6 Panther engines above the water line made it surprisingly fast (40 m/s, though this was due, in part, to the smallish amounts of fuel it held)

The downsides, unfortunately, were very big downsides. Here's a top-down view:

3Tx89R.png

Some of you (or most) will immediately notice the gigantic hole in the back - the part with zero armor covering the fuel tanks. This could have been rectified, but for some reason, the structural panels would always mess with the thrust levels of the Panthers, and the ship would slow down. Reworkings/redesigns fixed this, but ended with the Abrams cannons either being removed, or being placed way above the engines in an awkward looking position.

Additionally, the ship could only withstand shots to the front sections, which made it very good for head on charges, but not at all suitable for flank attacks, where the cannon rounds would clip into the rear end. Usually this wasn't so bad, since the Panthers were attached to a stronger section, but......the four Oerlikon's were unable to reliably stop planes from strafing the rear deck and engines.

So I scrapped it :D

Edited by Earthlinger

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.