[1.9+] Signal Delay 0.2.13 (2020-08-21) - signal delay & background antenna EC consumption

garwel

This mod adds signal delay for probes in KSP, based on their CommNet connectivity. It means that you will only see the commands you issue after the radio wave reaches the vessel and returns back. Controlling interplanetary probes gets harder but more realistic.

Antennas also now use Electric Charge (when deployed) for telemetry. The lower the signal strength (only the first link counts), the higher EC usage.

All the features can be adjusted via in-game Settings. Quickly disable or enable the mod by clicking the toolbar button.

Download latest release

Source

Status

The mod is in beta. Please report bugs via the GitHub Issues tab or at the forum and attach the output log.

Required / Supported Mods

Known Issues

• The mod doesn't handle part actions (e.g. experiment deployment), so they are not delayed. If you find it cheaty, you can choose to hide them, in the Settings, and use action groups instead.
  • RCS linear translation (HNJLIK keys) is not supported at the moment. I haven't figured out how to execute these actions.
  • Autopilot and similar mods (such as MechJeb) also have no delay, because they interact with the vessel directly.
  • This mod conflicts with CommNet Constellation and, potentially, any other mod that changes the way CommNet works. Do not install more than one such mod!

License: MIT

Enjoy the mod? Buy me a coffee!

Video:

Spoiler

Change Log:

Spoiler

• Compiled for KSP 1.9.1
  • Fixed: Control locks were cleared for an unknown reason resulting in some commands being duplicated

• Compiled for KSP 1.9.1. Compatibility with KSP 1.8 is untested
  • Added: Support for Kerbalism and Near Future Exploration
  • Fixed: Action groups including SAS, RCS etc. stopped working in KSP 1.9
  • Fixed: Main throttle could be made negative causing funny things
  • Fixed: Main throttle could suddenly change when signal was lost
  • Major code refactoring

• Compiled for KSP 1.8 "Moar Boosters". Not compatible with KSP 1.7.3 and below

• Compiled for KSP 1.7.3
  • Added: Support for Probes Before Crew

• Added: Patches for BDB, Tantares and Pathfinder (WildBlueIndustries)
  • Fixed: Duplicate AppLauncher buttons when switching between vessels
  • Fixed: Kerbals on EVA had the toolbar button

• Compiled for KSP 1.6.1 (should be backwards-compatible down to 1.5.1)
  • Added: Mod button will be hidden (in AppLauncher) or disabled (in Toolbar mod) if the vessel is not probe or there's no connection
  • Added: Compatibility patches for CommNetAntennasExtension and ReStock+
  • Optimized performance

• Compiled for KSP 1.4.5
  • Added: Compatibility patches for RemoteTech Redev Antennas and Global Construction

• Compiled for KSP 1.4.4
  • Added: Button to quickly toggle the mod; both stock and Blizzy's (or linuxgurugamer's) toolbars are supported
  • Fixed: Reduced excessive logging, which may slightly improve performance

• Recompiled for KSP 1.4.3
  • Added: Now disables data transmitter in DMagic Orbital Science's Moisture Sensor, in both original and Universal Storage versions (it used too much power)

• Fixed: Incorrect signal delay display when it's over 1 hour

• Added: :NEEDS modifiers in part configs
  • Changed: Updated .version file to reflect compatibility with KSP 1.4.1 (should still be backward compatible with 1.4 and 1.3.1)
  • Changed: Small performance improvements
  • Fixed: Removed telemetry EC consumption by DMagic Orbital Science's Universal Storage Soil Moisture sensor

• Changed: Signal delay is now displayed by default
  • Changed: Debug mode is off by default; enable it if you want to report an issue
  • Fixed: Wheel control was broken
  • Fixed: In-flight tweakables were disabled even when part actions were shown
  • Fixed: Issues when switching between vessels
  • Fixed: Throttle was reset when vessel lost control after launch
  • Fixed: NRE on debris

• Added: Antenna's EC usage is now displayed in Flight on right click
  • Changed: Only the first link (e.g. from the active vessel to a relay) is now taken into account for EC usage calculation
  • Fixed: Brakes should now disable when releasing brake key (B)

• Module Manager is now required for telemetry EC usage
  • Added: Antennas use EC for telemetry when deployed; usage depends on antenna's power and signal strength
  • Added: Support for DMagic Orbital Science, JX2, MKS, and Surface Experiment Pack antennas
  • Changed: Commands are no longer displayed on screen in debug mode

• Added: Support for kOS
  • Added: Time warp stops when a command is about to be executed
  • Added: Throttle sensitivity setting
  • Changed: Delay screen notification disappears sooner
  • Fixed: SAS in Stability Assist mode locked orientation on big vessels

• First beta release

Edited by garwel
Buy me a coffee

8 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What is the delay?

Assuming the delay is speed of light, is it from the space center or nearest kerbal?

It is calculated from the nearest point of control per CommNet rules (i.e. taking into account relays, control sources, etc.). The speed of light can be adjusted in the settings.

8 hours ago, Tyko said:

Are you included some means of programming and executing maneuvers automatically?

No, this mod only provides the delay. I don't plan a flight computer or anything of this sort. You may use kOS or other mods alongside for automation. Note that MechJeb and various autopilots will most likely operate without a delay. Let me know if you encounter any bugs with them.

Edited by garwel

Signal Delay 0.2.0

• Module Manager is now required for telemetry EC usage
  • Added: Antennas use EC for telemetry when deployed; usage depends on antenna's power and signal strength
  • Added: Support for DMagic Orbital Science, JX2, MKS, and Surface Experiment Pack antennas
  • Changed: Commands are no longer displayed on screen in debug mode

Download for KSP 1.3.1

Download for KSP 1.3.0

Edited by garwel

Signal Delay 0.2.1

• Added: Antenna's EC usage is now displayed in Flight on right click
  • Changed: Only the first link (e.g. from the active vessel to a relay) is now taken into account for EC usage calculation
  • Fixed: Brakes should now disable when releasing brake key (B)

Download for KSP 1.3.1

Download for KSP 1.3.0

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

It means that you can use kOS but commands by the kOS-terminal are accomplished directly without delay.

That's correct. In other words, if you execute a command or a program via kOS terminal, it runs immediately. So technically, you can cheat by typing "SET THROTTLE TO 1." instead of hitting Z and the throttle will change right away. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about it because kOS doesn't really have a public API. In my own game, I just added "WAIT SignalDelay." command to all the scripts and I set the value of SignalDelay variable manually once when I load the craft.

@Cheesecake, @garwel, thanks for the clarification! I guess it does not matter for fully automated missions anyways, and I can't type fast enough to land on Duna using kOS terminal.

A more serious issue I've found is that the mod breaks control of unmanned rovers and makes tweakables (such as thrust limiter, steering on wheels etc.) un-tweakable in-flight on unmanned vessels.

7 hours ago, Pand5461 said:

@Cheesecake, @garwel, thanks for the clarification! I guess it does not matter for fully automated missions anyways, and I can't type fast enough to land on Duna using kOS terminal.

A more serious issue I've found is that the mod breaks control of unmanned rovers and makes tweakables (such as thrust limiter, steering on wheels etc.) un-tweakable in-flight on unmanned vessels.

This is fixed in the next release. I'll publish it as soon as I finish testing.

Signal Delay 0.2.2

• Changed: Signal delay is now displayed by default
  • Changed: Debug mode is off by default; enable it if you want to report an issue
  • Fixed: Wheel control was broken
  • Fixed: In-flight tweakables were disabled even when part actions were shown
  • Fixed: Issues when switching between vessels
  • Fixed: Throttle was reset when vessel lost control after launch
  • Fixed: NRE on debris

Download here

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Seapiglet said:

This is great!  Seems to work fine with 1.4 as well, as far as I can tell.

It doesn't work with joysticks - it just disables input altogether.  Would that be really tricky to do?

Thanks for reporting it. Unfortunately, I don't have a joystick and can't really test it. In theory I'd think it should work (except RCS translation, which I never managed to implement), but probably KSP processes joystick input differently from keyboard.

Hmm, hadn't checked that before, but yes - manned craft are unaffected, but joystick input is disabled for robotic craft when the delay is turned on.  If delay is off but the other options are on (e.g. EC usage for telemetry) then joystick still works.

I can live with that.  I should probably be using kOS for my robots anyway.

Signal Delay 0.2.3

• Added: :NEEDS modifiers in part configs
  • Changed: Updated .version file to reflect compatibility with KSP 1.4.1 (should still be backward compatible with 1.4 and 1.3.1)
  • Changed: Small performance improvements
  • Fixed: Removed telemetry EC consumption by DMagic Orbital Science's Universal Storage Soil Moisture sensor

Download here

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.