[1.9+] Signal Delay 0.2.13 (2020-08-21) - signal delay & background antenna EC consumption

garwel

On 5/1/2020 at 7:20 PM, garwel said:

I've never played with CommNet Constellation, to be honest, so I have no idea how they worked together in the past. If CNC does something serious to CommNet, it is quite possible that Signal Delay breaks. I'll look into it, when I have time. Thanks for letting me know.

Hi, I pinpointed to the mod conflict to the CommNetVessel class.

SignalDelay implemented own CommNetVessel subclass, SignalDelayVesselModule, but CNC has own CommNetVessel subclass, CNCCommNetVessel.

Due to the way KSP's CommNet runs, only 1 class of CommNetVessel can be allowed at a time, resulting in all vessels having SignalDelayVesselModule in the reporter's play session. This causes problems on CNC side as it can't find CNCCommNetVessel in a vessel.

Unfortunately, there is no easy resolution to the 1-class problem.

Edited by TaxiService

This is kind of a trivia/implementation question, but I've seen some people discussing how hard it is to implement signal delay with a bunch of different mods - ergo part modules - as you need to capture and cache each of their actions (deployable science from DMagic, starting or configuring KSPI/NF reactors and engines, and so on) via hardcoding.

Is this accurate, or could I expect Signal Delay to play well with a lot of different mods? I can test it, but I wanted to know beforehand how it'd work.

3 hours ago, Tonas1997 said:

This is kind of a trivia/implementation question, but I've seen some people discussing how hard it is to implement signal delay with a bunch of different mods - ergo part modules - as you need to capture and cache each of their actions (deployable science from DMagic, starting or configuring KSPI/NF reactors and engines, and so on) via hardcoding.

Is this accurate, or could I expect Signal Delay to play well with a lot of different mods? I can test it, but I wanted to know beforehand how it'd work.

It is indeed difficult to catch, store and then "replay" all possible actions, including PAW actions. This mod was originally created as a stopgap solution until RemoteTech starts supporting CommNet, so I decided to just leave such tricky things alone. It mostly intercepts keyboard input for known game commands, and that includes action groups. You can "cheat" by, for example, just right-clicking a part and selecting a desired action, and it will run without delay (there is also an option to disable PAW menus altogether, if you don't trust yourself). I try to map all important actions to action groups, which are properly delayed.

That being said, I may one day try to add support for part actions, because my knowledge of C# and modding has improved. But no promises.

7 hours ago, TaxiService said:

SignalDelay implemented own CommNetVessel subclass, SignalDelayVesselModule, but CNC has own CommNetVessel subclass, CNCCommNetVessel.

Due to the way KSP's CommNet runs, only 1 class of CommNetVessel can be allowed at a time, resulting in all vessels having SignalDelayVesselModule in the reporter's play session. This causes problems on CNC side as it can't find CNCCommNetVessel in a vessel.

Thank you, I'll add a warning.

• 3 months later...

Signal Delay 0.2.12

• Compiled for KSP 1.9.1. Compatibility with KSP 1.8 is untested
  • Added: Support for Kerbalism and Near Future Exploration
  • Fixed: Action groups including SAS, RCS etc. stopped working in KSP 1.9
  • Fixed: Main throttle could be made negative causing funny things
  • Fixed: Main throttle could suddenly change when signal was lost
  • Major code refactoring

Download here

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 5/14/2020 at 9:59 AM, TaxiService said:

Would this thing I found in ckan be a viable solution?

https://spacedock.info/mod/1529/CommNet Manager

11 hours ago, Errol said:

Would this thing I found in ckan be a viable solution?

https://spacedock.info/mod/1529/CommNet Manager

Yes, there is now the final beta of CommNet Constellation on top of CommNet Manager. I am waiting for my pull request of a fix to be accepted into CommNet Manager before an official release can be dropped.

Looking at the codebase of Signal Delay, only 1 change needed to get on CommNet Manager is from CommNetVessel to CommNetManagerAPI.ModularCommNetVesselComponent and recompile against CommNetManagerAPI

1 hour ago, TaxiService said:

Yes, there is now the final beta of CommNet Constellation on top of CommNet Manager. I am waiting for my pull request of a fix to be accepted into CommNet Manager before an official release can be dropped.

Looking at the codebase of Signal Delay, only 1 change needed to get on CommNet Manager is from CommNetVessel to CommNetManagerAPI.ModularCommNetVesselComponent and recompile against CommNetManagerAPI

@garwel This doesn't sound too difficult. Do you mind implementing this and bundling with commNet Manager?

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.