[1.7.3] After Kerbin

Gameslinx

I have an idea, @Gameslinx. Suppose you made a prequel to Before Kerbin?

• Kerbol is still a protostar.
  • None of the stock planets are recognizable in any way, they are significantly smaller  (with the exception of Proto-Moho, which is twice the size of the Moho in the stock game and one other exception that I'm getting to), and the solar system is filled with many other small worlds in precarious orbits that will eventually get them destroyed or thrown out of Kerbol's influence.
  • The Kerbals originated, not on Eve, but on Dres! Which was originally much closer to the sun until a period of gravitational anarchy and bombardment pushed it outward and significantly reduced its mass, making it uninhabitable.
  • There are two gas giants orbiting Kerbol, one of which is Proto-Jool, the other is its close orbital companion, which will eventually be devoured by Jool.
  • There are plenty of Gilly-size asteroids littering interplanetary space and orbiting every planet.
  • The Sun has a massive debris ring and is surrounded by fiery particles that give it a 'fuffy' look.
  • The skybox would be a nebula, and the Kerbol system would have a companion star that is reachable, but has no planets of its own, just a few asteroids for the player to land on... and maybe an icy dwarf planet.

What do you think? :)

7 hours ago, daniel l. said:

I have an idea, @Gameslinx. Suppose you made a prequel to Before Kerbin?

• Kerbol is still a protostar.
  • None of the stock planets are recognizable in any way, they are significantly smaller  (with the exception of Proto-Moho, which is twice the size of the Moho in the stock game and one other exception that I'm getting to), and the solar system is filled with many other small worlds in precarious orbits that will eventually get them destroyed or thrown out of Kerbol's influence.
  • The Kerbals originated, not on Eve, but on Dres! Which was originally much closer to the sun until a period of gravitational anarchy and bombardment pushed it outward and significantly reduced its mass, making it uninhabitable.
  • There are two gas giants orbiting Kerbol, one of which is Proto-Jool, the other is its close orbital companion, which will eventually be devoured by Jool.
  • There are plenty of Gilly-size asteroids littering interplanetary space and orbiting every planet.
  • The Sun has a massive debris ring and is surrounded by fiery particles that give it a 'fuffy' look.
  • The skybox would be a nebula, and the Kerbol system would have a companion star that is reachable, but has no planets of its own, just a few asteroids for the player to land on... and maybe an icy dwarf planet.

What do you think? :)

Unfortunately not. I have other ambitions for my planet mods which don't involve the timescale of the Kerbol system.

Ok, so this really bothers me.

So I was snooping through the files to see if there was anything wrong with them (I couldn't get the mod to load up, but I now know that it's probably because I have a crappy school laptop), and I noticed Solitude's radius was at a value of 800,000.

800,000!!!!!!!!!!!

That's way bigger than stock Duna!

Even if you're trying to have it so that it takes the same amount of Delta-V to orbit as Kerbin that's way too big!

A lot of things can happen in ~4 billion years, but I highly doubt Mars will more than double in radius in that time.

Don't quote me on this though, because I'm not exactly sure if I was mistaken or not.

"So I was snooping through the files to see if there was anything wrong with them (I couldn't get the mod to load up, but I now know that it's probably because I have a crappy school laptop), and I noticed Solitude's radius was at a value of 800,000.

800,000!!!!!!!!!!!

Even if you're trying to have it so that it takes the same amount of Delta-V to orbit as Kerbin that's way too big!

A lot of things can happen in ~4 billion years, but I highly doubt Mars will more than double in radius in that time."

-electricpants 2017

Edited by electricpants

6 minutes ago, electricpants said:

Ok, so this really bothers me.

So I was snooping through the files to see if there was anything wrong with them (I couldn't get the mod to load up, but I now know that it's probably because I have a crappy school laptop), and I noticed Solitude's radius was at a value of 800,000.

800,000!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of things can happen in ~4 billion years, but I highly doubt Mars will more than double in radius in that time.

Don't quote me on this though, because I'm not exactly sure if I was mistaken or not.

Correct, stock Duna's radius is 320000.

6 hours ago, electricpants said:

Yep. A lot can happen in 4 billion years, but I understand your concerns. I've had to make an extremely and possibly a very unrealistic decision to raise Duna's radius because I'd like people who play AK to be on a similar playing field to those who play on the stock planets.

Launching rockets from Duna using its stock properties would be incredibly overpowered.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Plane Crazy said:

If this is set four billion years in the future, why are Kerbin's continents exactly the same?

I could easily change them but I decided to not do that.

(It did notcross my mind)

I can adjust it if you wish.

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Titanium_Rocket said:

I have a problem. I'm in version 1.3.1 and for some reason, it says Kopernicus won't work. when the Game loads up, there is no difference between it and the Normal Version. is there a fix for this?

1 hour ago, Arjen_hoi said:

Do you plan on redoing the anomalies and the grass textures of the KSC? They bug me a little and i would appreciate it if they fitted in. Otherwise great mod :D

Yep! It's really fiddly to get an exact value but I totally will. (The floating squad monolith will be fixed, also)

On 10/17/2017 at 4:35 AM, Gameslinx said:

Welcome to the Official Release thread for After Kerbin.

After Kerbin is based on the Stock solar system, but 4 billion years into the future, adding highly detailed and intuitive planets to your game.

We are in the process of setting up a DMP server. Spread the word!

Overview:

• This mod aims to add a completely new adventure as you begin on Duna (which has Kerbin's properties for ease) and explore and uncover the secrets of the future stock planets.
  • This mod adds highly detailed, 4k planets, each come with their own EVE and Scatterer configurations. 
  • Every single planet and moon has been adjusted and changed. Even Jool.
  • All planets have been tested and I have made sure both rockets and spaceplanes can function on each of them.

System Requirements:

• 5GB of RAM
  • KSP 64 bit

UjDNjlc.png

stgwx7s.png fHIa0NA.png

Donations are never asked for, but always appreciated! Help buy me another pizza if you enjoy the mod :) 

"Only during the last breath of life does the mind truly understand how lonely a species really is. Floating. In the dark. Guarded by nothing but the very nemesis which plagues the planet - loneliness, darkness, death." - Source Unknown, Year 7510, Solitude.

FAQ:

Is this planet mod compatible with present day mods?

• Yep! Even the visual mods will work together (they didn't with my previous planet mod), meaning you can install nearly any planet mod except those that also replace the home planet.

How much RAM do I need for this mod?

• It varies. I recommend around 5GB at least. If you struggle, lower your texture quality.

This mod follows the CC-BY-NC-ND licence.

Thank you for downloading!

Special thanks to @JadeOfMaar for the sunflare!

We have a DMP server!

Wow, this actually looks pretty amazing for a planet pack! I'll try it out, does it have any of the issues that all the others seem to face.

6 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

What issues?

Also please don't quote the entire OP.

Sorry about that, new around here! I mean often collision issues or just bugs in lighting or whatever can occur because of Kopernicus I think. Mostly just general unpolishedness is what I'm referring to.

6 hours ago, Ari said:

Sorry about that, new around here! I mean often collision issues or just bugs in lighting or whatever can occur because of Kopernicus I think. Mostly just general unpolishedness is what I'm referring to.

I don't release mods until they're stable. You shouldn't many bugs with this.

2 hours ago, Enderai said:

Hello. I don't mean to bother you, but I'm having an issue with the "Kopernicus" file. It says that it isn't compatible with 1.3.1 even I'm using the 1.3.1 version. Can you help?

Screenshot of your game data folder please!

This is a really neat-o idea! Although if I'm not mistaken, Eve/Demise wouldn't actually start cracking due to tidal forces, since the mass of the star doesn't change the Roche limit doesn't increase with solar expansion. Perhaps there's something I don't understand about decreasing density though :P 

10 minutes ago, b0ss said:

This is a really neat-o idea! Although if I'm not mistaken, Eve/Demise wouldn't actually start cracking due to tidal forces, since the mass of the star doesn't change the Roche limit doesn't increase with solar expansion. Perhaps there's something I don't understand about decreasing density though :P

It's the heat exposing more of its crust, cracking it.

I hope you enjoy playing the mod! 

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I don’t understand is why the kerbals would escape to duna

sure, Mars would be a good place to go in our solar system, but in the kerbol, or I guess now archangel system. Wouldn’t the kerbals go to Laythe since it was many times more habitable.

Edited by Jeb's Fireworks Guy

17 hours ago, Jeb's Pirotecnics Guy said:

One thing I don’t understand is why the kerbals would escape to duna

sure, Mars would be a good place to go in our solar system, but in the kerbol, or I guess now archangel system. Wouldn’t the kerbals go to Laythe since it was many times more habitable.

I can't reparent the home body around anything but the "Sun". Well, i can, but there would be multiple graphical glitches and that wouldn't be good to look at, so it's Duna.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, i seem to have an problem with the sunflares for archangel: Near all bodys with rings (a.k.a. reaper and wasteland),  the sunflare dissapears and the bare sun is visible.

I have Extrasolar installed and the Valentine system doesn't has this problem, sunflares there are visible even around ringed bodys.

If you need additional information, i can provide logs and/or screenshots