Gameslinx

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/14/2020 at 4:21 PM, Neil Kermstrong said:

Got some problems with planet textures here

Noticed it in guardian rn

On 10/14/2020 at 6:14 PM, Neil Kermstrong said:

Exactly same thing is happening to me

This is probably happening because After Kerbin was made for 1.7.3. It does function with later versions so that just happens.

Is everybody else getting too much radiation in Solitude's system when using Kerbalism? The planner reports 4 mrad/h in LSO and 15 mrad/h almost everywhere else (this is consistent with the magnetopause which shields 11 mrad/h).

However, the actual radiation I experience in LSO and Guardian surface is about 560 mrad/h, while radiation in deep space is those 15 mrad/h. This makes it somewhat unplayable, for example a Space Camp contract in a fully shielded station uses about 50% of lifetime radiation allowance of each Kerbal involved. Since you need three instructors to lead the camp and you get three new recruits, the total allowance of your workforce doesn't change. I bumped the allowance up, but that in turn makes interplanetary too easy.

I see that there are no radiation configs in Kerbalism or After Kerbin for the bodies in this mod, so this seems to be defaulting to that of Kerbin from stock. I was thinking whether scaling is an issue here, after all, Kerbin has radius of 600 km compared to 800 km of Solitude. So I thought that perhaps I'm getting the readings I would get 200 km higher for Kerbin. However, this is not the case, a 275 km high Kerbin gets more than 2 rad/h, while 175 km orbit gets around the same radiation as 75 km high Solitude orbit. However, this wouldn't explain the radiation I see on Guardian surface.

Are you guys getting the same reading? Anybody tweaked the definitions to make this workable?

EDIT: After a bit of digging, I understand why this is happening for the planets, but I'm unsure why is the radiation in deep space only 15 mrad/h. Kerbalism defines the radiation on the surface of the sun, which is set to 27 rad/h. As the radiation scales with inverse square distance from the center of mass, we get around 15 mrad/h at Kerbin in stock system. Archangel has radius about 10 times large. If we keep the surface radiation the same, this yields an 100-fold increase anywhere else. The observed values are less than that, because Duna is further away than Kerbin. So, the fix is to reduce the radiation_surface of RadiationBody[Sun] to 0.5 or so to make it equal to stock. I can make a MR with the radiation definitions if that would be appreciated.

Edited by Majk

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/14/2020 at 11:10 AM, Majk said:

Is everybody else getting too much radiation in Solitude's system when using Kerbalism? The planner reports 4 mrad/h in LSO and 15 mrad/h almost everywhere else (this is consistent with the magnetopause which shields 11 mrad/h).

However, the actual radiation I experience in LSO and Guardian surface is about 560 mrad/h, while radiation in deep space is those 15 mrad/h. This makes it somewhat unplayable, for example a Space Camp contract in a fully shielded station uses about 50% of lifetime radiation allowance of each Kerbal involved. Since you need three instructors to lead the camp and you get three new recruits, the total allowance of your workforce doesn't change. I bumped the allowance up, but that in turn makes interplanetary too easy.

I see that there are no radiation configs in Kerbalism or After Kerbin for the bodies in this mod, so this seems to be defaulting to that of Kerbin from stock. I was thinking whether scaling is an issue here, after all, Kerbin has radius of 600 km compared to 800 km of Solitude. So I thought that perhaps I'm getting the readings I would get 200 km higher for Kerbin. However, this is not the case, a 275 km high Kerbin gets more than 2 rad/h, while 175 km orbit gets around the same radiation as 75 km high Solitude orbit. However, this wouldn't explain the radiation I see on Guardian surface.

Are you guys getting the same reading? Anybody tweaked the definitions to make this workable?

EDIT: After a bit of digging, I understand why this is happening for the planets, but I'm unsure why is the radiation in deep space only 15 mrad/h. Kerbalism defines the radiation on the surface of the sun, which is set to 27 rad/h. As the radiation scales with inverse square distance from the center of mass, we get around 15 mrad/h at Kerbin in stock system. Archangel has radius about 10 times large. If we keep the surface radiation the same, this yields an 100-fold increase anywhere else. The observed values are less than that, because Duna is further away than Kerbin. So, the fix is to reduce the radiation_surface of RadiationBody[Sun] to 0.5 or so to make it equal to stock. I can make a MR with the radiation definitions if that would be appreciated.

Maybe it's just Archangel being Archangel. 

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey,  so i went to the Wasteland, but i can't seem to locate the old KSC. i am on the exact spot on the exact continent, but i just cant find it. I have terrain scatters enabled, i have Kerbal Konstructs... I would love to see it, so can someone please help?

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
On 10/16/2017 at 2:35 PM, Gameslinx said:

Welcome to the Official Release thread for After Kerbin.

After Kerbin is based on the Stock solar system, but 4 billion years into the future, adding highly detailed and intuitive planets to your game.

We are in the process of setting up a DMP server. Spread the word!

Overview:

• This mod aims to add a completely new adventure as you begin on Duna (which has Kerbin's properties for ease) and explore and uncover the secrets of the future stock planets.
  • This mod adds highly detailed, 4k planets, each come with their own EVE and Scatterer configurations. 
  • Every single planet and moon has been adjusted and changed. Even Jool.
  • All planets have been tested and I have made sure both rockets and spaceplanes can function on each of them.

System Requirements:

• 5GB of RAM
  • KSP 64 bit

UjDNjlc.png

stgwx7s.png fHIa0NA.png

Donations are never asked for, but always appreciated! Help buy me another pizza if you enjoy the mod :) 

"Only during the last breath of life does the mind truly understand how lonely a species really is. Floating. In the dark. Guarded by nothing but the very nemesis which plagues the planet - loneliness, darkness, death." - Source Unknown, Year 7510, Solitude.

FAQ:

Is this planet mod compatible with present day mods?

• Yep! Even the visual mods will work together (they didn't with my previous planet mod), meaning you can install nearly any planet mod except those that also replace the home planet.

How much RAM do I need for this mod?

• It varies. I recommend around 5GB at least. If you struggle, lower your texture quality.

Watch @TheBeardyPenguin progress through conquering the Kerbal system for the final time in the hopes of saving kerbalkind.

DELTA V MAP

Reveal hidden contents

JV3kBAw.jpg

This mod follows the CC-BY-NC-ND licence.

Thank you for downloading!

will this ever be updated?

• 5 months later...

Hello there linux, so I have a bit of a problem. I'm trying to install after kerbin, but for some reason, ksp keeps trying to find configs that dont exist for rss. (of which i THINK i don't have anything installed that could interfere), here's the log:
[WRN 23:24:40.541] Cannot find preset 'RSS_High' for pqs 'Eltos'
[WRN 23:24:40.547] Cannot find preset 'RSS_High' for pqs 'Valiant'
[WRN 23:24:40.554] Cannot find preset 'RSS_High' for pqs 'Tillos'
[WRN 23:24:40.560] Cannot find preset 'RSS_High' for pqs 'Vaum'
[WRN 23:24:40.566] Cannot find preset 'RSS_High' for pqs 'Aridos'
[WRN 23:24:40.573] Cannot find preset 'RSS_High' for pqs 'Reaper'
[WRN 23:24:40.579] Cannot find preset 'RSS_High' for pqs 'Fissure'
[WRN 23:24:40.586] Cannot find preset 'RSS_High' for pqs 'Drissen'
[WRN 23:24:40.592] Cannot find preset 'RSS_High' for pqs 'Nemesis'
[WRN 23:24:40.598] Cannot find preset 'RSS_High' for pqs 'Guardian'
[WRN 23:24:40.605] Cannot find preset 'RSS_High' for pqs 'Malice'
[WRN 23:24:40.611] Cannot find preset 'RSS_High' for pqs 'Wasteland'
[WRN 23:24:40.617] Cannot find preset 'RSS_High' for pqs 'Demise'
anything you could do to help if at all?