Mods with non-cylindrical fuel parts?

Gibster

Hey I am looking mods that add fuel tanks that aren't the traditional cylinders we're used to seeing. Basically, I am tired of my spacecraft all turning into the same amalgamation of cylindrical pieces. When I look at real probes and whatnot I see craft that take on a variety of different shapes. I'm fine with my launch rockets all being cylindrical, that's what I expect, I just don't like that my spacecraft look like my launch rockets. I got a taste of it with Near Future Construction and the truss pieces that can carry fuel and other stuff, but its only one type of truss. 

Edited by Gibster

Procedural parts sort of fixes it... It allows cones, spheres, filleted cylinders, and curved cones as shapes and you can customize the shape. Unfortunately it doesn't include anything super unique like the MK3 parts or cubes or stuff like that (but there's a few good reasons why cube tanks aren't used in real life).

2 hours ago, tater said:

SSTU has some:

sstu_sphericaltanks1.jpg

There are more coming soon:

9FMg5nX.png

That's precisely the type of stuff I'm looking for (I really like the spheres). I noticed the pack has a bunch of other stuff that I don't really need, for instance it adds another dozen or so engines whose functions are already covered in the mods I have (Space Y and Near Future Launch Systems) as well as command pods I don't really need. Personally, I'm not too keen on adding more clutter to my parts list, so is there any way to isolate just the fuel tanks? 

Edited by Gibster

SSTU reduces clutter, honestly. I end up not using any other tanks. It plays well with near future, but pretty much obviates Space Y (just resize the tanks and you're done). The weird Orion pictured above is 4 parts, for example. The short answer is that culling parts doesn't buy you much, as many things share textures, etc.

This station (using near future construction parts, too) is probably around 20-25 parts (there were a few more at launch, I used welding docking ports for some of the assembly).

vIISHwY.png

The nice thing about the SSTU engines is that they cluster. Place engine. Right click, and select how many you want, and there are mounts that work included (no extra parts to place, mount just appears with engine as needed). BTW, you can recolor everything at will.

19 minutes ago, tater said:

SSTU reduces clutter, honestly. I end up not using any other tanks. It plays well with near future, but pretty much obviates Space Y (just resize the tanks and you're done). The weird Orion pictured above is 4 parts, for example. The short answer is that culling parts doesn't buy you much, as many things share textures, etc.

This station (using near future construction parts, too) is probably around 20-25 parts (there were a few more at launch, I used welding docking ports for some of the assembly).

vIISHwY.png

The nice thing about the SSTU engines is that they cluster. Place engine. Right click, and select how many you want, and there are mounts that work included (no extra parts to place, mount just appears with engine as needed). BTW, you can recolor everything at will.

Alright, I'll give it a go. I do wonder if I should start worrying more about part count, as its generally not something I've fretted over much previously, especially since my goal in my new game is to focus on space station building. I'm using a semi-decent college craptop so I should probably be giving more thought to it. 

Also never really liked parts with multiple functionalities, always though it took away from the whole customization aspect of building.

Edited by Gibster

All the tanks can have alternate nose and mount parts, and the station parts can as well. That means a single tank can have dozens of different looks, not counting color.

Ive found it more, not less creative.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.