Hello everyone,

Is Squad going to add more stock parts? I know they have added some in the past, the making history expansion will be coming out and the recent release of 1.3.1 patch but I was hoping they can add more modern parts into the game. Does anyone know? 

Also, what do you all think they should add? 

Edited by RAJ JAR

I think they will add new parts and continue updating the game after the DLC is finished (they are working hard on it!). I don't know what to expect for new parts in base game.

I think they should add more station parts and revamp the 2,5m decoupler, (in my opinion the 2,5m decoupler is the most ugly and unfitting thing in the game) but im sure that won't happend.

3 hours ago, NSEP said:

I think they will add new parts and continue updating the game after the DLC is finished (they are working hard on it!). I don't know what to expect for new parts in base game.

I think they should add more station parts and revamp the 2,5m decoupler, (in my opinion the 2,5m decoupler is the most ugly and unfitting thing in the game) but im sure that won't happend.

I hope they will add more station parts and also fix anymore parts that do not work. Also when it comes to refueling, I hope they add parts that are lighter and more efficient and that there are refueling parts designed for spaceships. 

Also to add, more advanced computers for better control and more options added, for example orbital station-keeping.

Edited by RAJ JAR

3 hours ago, NSEP said:

Agreed that decouplers - especially the 2.5m - are in dire need of a remake.  :)

4 hours ago, RAJ JAR said:

Also when it comes to refueling, I hope they add parts that are lighter and more efficient and that there are refueling parts designed for spaceships. 

I really don't get what you mean by 'refuelling parts'. May you elaborate it a bit?

Well, 1.4 is confirmed and I really hope it will include actual parts. Also, the making history expansion will include plenty of new parts.

What parts do I want?

One more nuclear and one more ion engine. Both are fun concepts of engines but we need more variety. For the nuclear engine - a 2.5m large nuclear engine that overheats a lot faster than the Nerv and has slightly less Isp (500-700 instead of 800) but is at least 5 times more powerful.

Bigger fuel tanks and bigger engines to go with them. They don't have to be crazy insanely big - I would be fine if they just added 5m tanks, engines and other parts as a direct size upgrade to the 3.75m ones. Also, to go with the new 5m sized parts, we'll need Mk 4 aeroplane parts.

23 hours ago, Spricigo said:

I really don't get what you mean by 'refuelling parts'. May you elaborate it a bit?

In the game there are converters, which you can refuel. But biggest converter is heavy and it takes a long time to refuel a spacecraft, depending where you are and if you have an engineer with you or not. https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Converter. It would be great if Squad added more converters that are more efficient and lighter. 

I hope the VASIMR and X3 will be added into the stock parts of the game, we need faster and more fuel efficient space propulsion. Also the ion drive is not accurate to the real ion drive. Plus Squad should add cryogenic fuel tanks and metallic hydrogen tanks into the game.  

Edited by RAJ JAR

15 hours ago, Spricigo said:

And I hope it stays 'inacurate' . We don't need months long burns.

I agree, do not reduce the thrust or how slow the rate of thrust. What I mean is that with ion drives, it continues to accelerate as it is being used. 

23 hours ago, [insert_name_here] said:

One more nuclear and one more ion engine. Both are fun concepts of engines but we need more variety. For the nuclear engine - a 2.5m large nuclear engine that overheats a lot faster than the Nerv and has slightly less Isp (500-700 instead of 800) but is at least 5 times more powerful.

You've just given me an idea for a mod! :)

23 hours ago, [insert_name_here] said:

Bigger fuel tanks and bigger engines to go with them. They don't have to be crazy insanely big - I would be fine if they just added 5m tanks, engines and other parts as a direct size upgrade to the 3.75m ones. Also, to go with the new 5m sized parts, we'll need Mk 4 aeroplane parts.

I have mentioned this before on other discussions but I will type it again, solar sails, e-sails and V.A.S.I.M.R. Also this has been posted by others, E.M drive. Tests show there is thrust produced and  it is still being researched.

I also want Squad to add, which is needed, more advanced controls and computers, which will be more accurate in navigation and has a auto pilot feature. 

Edited by RAJ JAR

17 minutes ago, RAJ JAR said:

I have mentioned this before on other discussions but I will type it again, solar sails, e-sails and V.A.S.I.M.R. Also this has been posted by others, E.M drive. Tests show there is thrust produced and  it is still being researched.

I also want Squad to add, which is needed, more advanced controls and computers, which will be more accurate in navigation and has a auto pilot feature. 

Technologies that are at least decades away or even impossible (EmDrive)? No thanks.

16 minutes ago, Hay said:

Technologies that are at least decades away or even impossible (EmDrive)? No thanks.

It has been proven that the E.M drive does produce thrust. There is a NASA paper on it. The E.M drive is still being researched. What is wrong having technologies that is at least decades away being adding to K.S.P? If it works, why not add them into the game.  

1 hour ago, RAJ JAR said:

It has been proven that the E.M drive does produce thrust. There is a NASA paper on it. The E.M drive is still being researched. What is wrong having technologies that is at least decades away being adding to K.S.P? If it works, why not add them into the game.  

I believe the NASA paper showed that they'd accounted for every variable they could think of, not that it definitely worked. There's still the "breaking known laws of physics" problem that they also might have found a workaround for, but it's far from conclusive.

The big problem with including EM is that the thrust levels make Ion drives look powerful. At those thrust levels you could be accelerating for weeks - not very fun in-game :) If they're going into hypothetical drives. I'd be more interested in seeing a metallic hydrogen engine

@Nertea is working on a Far Future Propulsion mod in case you want to check it out.

I highly doubt we'll get any new stock parts as Squad has already moved over to the DLC phase of development; any new parts or features will be monetized as part of a DLC. And that's fine, that's about where we're at and Squad will need more money to keep development going. The core game will continue to be updated with Unity from the looks of it though, and we'll probably get a few new language packs, which will be nice.

3 minutes ago, regex said:

I highly doubt we'll get any new stock parts as Squad has already moved over to the DLC phase of development; any new parts or features will be monetized as part of a DLC. And that's fine, that's about where we're at and Squad will need more money to keep development going. The core game will continue to be updated with Unity from the looks of it though, and we'll probably get a few new language packs, which will be nice.

I agree wholeheartedly. But the only parts I think need to be revamped would be the early rocket parts - this was to be done in PorkJet's overhaul, then something happened. I'd still like to see something that resembles the rest of the stock parts in the game.

22 hours ago, A Soviet Tank said:

I think propellers are something they should add. Not only would they provide electric thrust on atmospheric bodies, they could also be used underwater.

I completely agree. Plus the amount of rocket fuel that would saved if you used propelled type vehicles to fly at a certain altitude then switch to rocket fuel, similar with jet engine vehicles or could use the sabre engine. It all depends of thrust and mass. 

20 hours ago, Tyko said:

I believe the NASA paper showed that they'd accounted for every variable they could think of, not that it definitely worked. There's still the "breaking known laws of physics" problem that they also might have found a workaround for, but it's far from conclusive.

The big problem with including EM is that the thrust levels make Ion drives look powerful. At those thrust levels you could be accelerating for weeks - not very fun in-game :) If they're going into hypothetical drives. I'd be more interested in seeing a metallic hydrogen engine

@Nertea is working on a Far Future Propulsion mod in case you want to check it out.

The E.M drive is still being researched by a few countries. Like they did for the ion drive, they could increase the thrust so it will be useful. I agree, Squad should introduce metallic hydrogen tanks, metallic hydrogen engines, cryogenic tanks and cryogenic engines, if they have not been added already. 

Yes, I know about the Far Future Propulsion mod. But I would like some, if not all, of those propulsions, added into the stock parts, the propulsions that are being used or researched, not hypothetical propulsions, maybe later. 

19 hours ago, regex said:

Squad could always plan ahead and write new ideas down for later release. I known Squad is currently busy with the Making History Expansion and patch releases but that does not mean they can not do afterwards. As long as everything is doing good. 

19 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I agree wholeheartedly. But the only parts I think need to be revamped would be the early rocket parts - this was to be done in PorkJet's overhaul, then something happened. I'd still like to see something that resembles the rest of the stock parts in the game.

I agree also. There are some parts that are still glitching. They are slowly fixing glitches by bring out new patches e.g. patch 1.3.1.  

18 hours ago, Hay said:

Because they're still decades away.

Still not a good enough reason to not have them in K.S.P. 

55 minutes ago, RAJ JAR said:

Squad could always plan ahead and write new ideas down for later release. I known Squad is currently busy with the Making History Expansion and patch releases but that does not mean they can not do afterwards. As long as everything is doing good.

I highly doubt we're going to get new parts, as in brand new individual parts, in the stock game, as in the game KSP sans installed DLC, at any time in the future because Squad is better served by having those artists create new content for DLCs which represent new revenue. Developers can work on code in the stock game while still benefiting the next DLC as that will likely be needed to support new features, hence we'll likely always get new code updates or tweaks to existing assets that involves a configuration issue. As far as new art assets in the base game that has already been bought and paid for? That's a waste of Squad's money (that money being an artist's salary) unless they believe they will get some benefit out of it like a massive surge in sales.

Edited by regex

Personally I think larger landing legs and grid fins. Grid fins are used all over in rocketry, in guided bombs and missiles, on the Soyuz launch escape system and the Falcon 9. I think larger landing legs would be good because the current static landing legs constantly break when landing large 3.75m craft.

Maybe an electric propeller as well. NASA is thinking about sending a helicopter to Mars with the 2020 rover so it is relevant, plus they could be useful for initial Eve ascent. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.