Origami Steel Fleet

So this an extension of my Origami Steel idea. 

So you follow that thread's instructions and just build and post HERE. Must fit in a mark 3 cargo bay and be airbreathing,  but R.A.P.I.E.R.s, NERVs or CC engines are allowed if you have jets (or with R.A.P.I.E.R.s they can be in jet mode) onboard. Extra points for SSTOs!  Please post the version created in as well as the name. Thank you! Mods are allowed provided they don't affect performances of crafts

Fleet Planes:

Spoiler

SC Gnat By @ShadowGoat Type: Monoplane

Tornado1 By @Rocket In My Pocket Type: Biplane

Fleet SSTOs

Spoiler

Origami Dagger II-By @sbski Type: SSTO

SWiFT By @fourfa Type: SSTO

P.S. Order isn't Chronological

Edited by KerBlitz Kerman
New Ship(s)

I built one a while ago but then forgot about it when I changed the carrier design so a plane could ride outside.  This plane was made for gathering science from Laythe, and needs to be carried in a Mk3 spaceplane that can land horizontally.

The wheels are not powered, but it's not really a big deal - there are two Vernors in the front that push it backwards out of the cargo bay, and the engine can do the rest.  It does have a big flaw, which is that it has no real cockpit so it needs a comnet connection to fly.

Album VvEg7 will appear when post is submitted

2 hours ago, sbski said:

By saying it fits in a mark 3 Cargo bay, does that mean that it's length is limited to just 1 cargo bay? Because I can go to duna or laythe If the length is not limited

No, just that it fits. It could be 1 or 150 bays long, whatever flies your plane... Similarly launch system doesn't matter as long as it fits in the bay, even if it isn't actually in it when launched.

Here is my attempt. It's callled the Origami Dagger II. It's an stock SSTO that fits in the mk3 cargo bay. I used Kerbal Engineer Redux and Mechjeb to just help out with testing. For the actual flight, no mods were used. The wings operate off of stock hinges that I had to (painfully) align docking ports so that the wings could pivot out. I do have a bit of part clipping but that is for asthetics. I think that it is posible to build larger versons with bigger wings. The prototype of this craft had a break in the hull where the hinges were placed 

Anyways, This was a fun challenge. I wanted to at least get to orbit. This is actually the first time I have done a tilt-wing plane ever and I think it turned out great. If any one wants the craft file the link is below. If anyone wants to rip apart the craft for the joint I am fine with that (It's all built off of 1 docking port. I just would like the credit for the design. I would love to see a 2.5M plane or a SSTO that is capible of going futher out in the kerbin system.

The only important controll is the 0 action group. If you press it, the wings will release and allow for them to deploy. They seem to dock easily and I havn't had a problem with a wing falling off yet.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1v4OxSX76jbekNZWlFCU1VfRmc/view?usp=sharing
https://imgur.com/a/2c42Y

I do wonder if my build is complete. I did have some oxidizer doing nothing and my flight path was kinda terrible. It's not a hard plane to fly but fuel management is a thing. I saw the other submission that someone did and would love to know the mechanism that they used. I'm completely unaware of how they built their sweeping mechanism and would love to know. 

Edited by sbski

Here's one that I have a lot of work into - the SWiFT @KerBlitz Kerman - though I haven't yet released it to KerbalX pending the vacuum landing module.  But she SSTOs on Laythe and Kerbin very well as pictured.  Packaging the wing and fuselage in the same length of cargo bay is possible but very very tight.

JHaWBxi.jpg

a/4dAuQ

Edited by fourfa
Added name by request

So to start with; great challenge idea! Had a lot of fun with this one.

I didn't really want to do a traditional swing-wing since I figured everyone else would lol. I tried to come up with something a little different, it works, but it's far from useful...or even safe!

So, I present the Tornado1! It's basically a bi-plane that rotates the entire wing structure 180 degrees for storage. As an actual plane it flies...poorly. Under powered, poorly balanced, and with a more than often misaligned wing the piloting experience is...always a unique challenge. Fit's in a fairly long Mk3 Cargo Bay, best dropped from 5,000m+ up as you may need quite a bit of time to perform all the steps needed to reconfigure the wing...depending greatly on how much you panic as the ground rushes up to meet you lol.

01E3D1E9C8979DC635F8FDC4385D0E691F0398E6

0015F3AC463E1D3A7C290362162A2B1D593E50A0

More pictures of it in action in the spoiler!

Spoiler

(Nestled lovingly in it's custom modified transport.)

8173C05A96D2A66CCD4DB71D71A90E4F944B3309

(At altitude! Go for drop! ...Yes those bars in the back are so it doesn't get sucked into the aft section...don't laugh, it works. Lol.)

5AA56AF9B15630E844CAE6E064C82BE7B7D56288

(Landed at the Island airport! Sorry no pics of the actual wing rotation...it's a hair raising experience even after much practice. My low frame rate doesn't help either.)

3ACBD2324C340726BA1D6F28C661ABC4151DB238

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

On 10/26/2017 at 3:52 PM, sbski said:

Here is my attempt. It's callled the Origami Dagger II. It's an stock SSTO that fits in the mk3 cargo bay. I used Kerbal Engineer Redux and Mechjeb to just help out with testing. For the actual flight, no mods were used. The wings operate off of stock hinges that I had to (painfully) align docking ports so that the wings could pivot out. I do have a bit of part clipping but that is for asthetics. I think that it is posible to build larger versons with bigger wings. The prototype of this craft had a break in the hull where the hinges were placed 

Anyways, This was a fun challenge. I wanted to at least get to orbit. This is actually the first time I have done a tilt-wing plane ever and I think it turned out great. If any one wants the craft file the link is below. If anyone wants to rip apart the craft for the joint I am fine with that (It's all built off of 1 docking port. I just would like the credit for the design. I would love to see a 2.5M plane or a SSTO that is capible of going futher out in the kerbin system.

The only important controll is the 0 action group. If you press it, the wings will release and allow for them to deploy. They seem to dock easily and I havn't had a problem with a wing falling off yet.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1v4OxSX76jbekNZWlFCU1VfRmc/view?usp=sharing
https://imgur.com/a/2c42Y

I don't mean to cause trouble and I would like to test them, but what version were they built on please?

@KerBlitz Kerman I noticed you mentioned you didn't catch the name...although I did mention it lol. No worries, it's the "Tornado1" (Any Sonic fans out there will get why. The look and odd transforming nature of it reminded me of Tail's plane.) Also, since you mentioned it; it was created in version 1.3.1 and it's 100% stock.

Spoiler

sonic_and_tails_tornado_into_the_sky_zon

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

Do the wings actually have to swing, or can I build a a wing that fits and flies without moving? If wings dont have to swing I may make one of those rotation jets I have been meaning to create.

(By the way, will probably make a swing wing even if it isn't required, I have some plans...)

Edited by Steel Starling
Added the last bit about the plans...

Here's my plane, the SC Gnat.

Wings in folded form. The decoupler is just the initial part.

https://imgur.com/sL8lkO0

The wings automatically unfolding, as they almost always do when the decoupler is released.

https://imgur.com/Ft20a2w

Wings are doubled docked and perfectly aligned.

https://imgur.com/As4SVOp

And proof that it can fly. It's pretty fast.

https://imgur.com/Sg4Ahth

I'm having trouble with the embed.

Created in latest version.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.