[1.3.*-1.12] Biome Corrections

Rodger

Small mod to fix some stock biome errors in Eve and Tylo. Requires Kopernicus

On Eve, Craters and Akatsuki Lake now actually exist!

V1.1 no longer edits Tylo, as the issue was fixed in vanilla. If you play with an older version of KSP where Tylo is missing Grissom Crater use V1.0

Download

SCANsat map examples:

VpYiBDI.png

USxznXQ.png

YdJ9ZSJ.png

License: CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

If you know of any other stock biome oddities, do let me know!

Edited by Rodger
Update

12 hours ago, wile1411 said:

this is awesome! Thanks for the effort you put into this!

Any chance you'd like to have a go at something  more left field with adding biomes back to the old (better) Duna?

So much this. I second this motion!

• 3 weeks later...

The png files in this mod are gigantic. I indexed them and got their size down to 377KB 316KB combined, compared to the original 56MB combined; over 100 times smaller. Best part, it seems to work just fine.

Here's Eve: https://0x0.st/sHH7.png

and Tylo: https://0x0.st/sHHh.png

Just put them in the Textures subfolder, and overwrite the original.

@Rodger, you may want to replace the mod's pngs with these.

I found a better way to compress PNGs so I decided to replace the original ones I posted (which also seem to have gone 404).

Edited by Zekario

• 9 months later...

It was made for 1.3.1, but it is a simple mod would probably work in 1.4.5 unless there has been any changes in the Kopernicus code in the cfg files.

Just install with CKAN, or download the file in the OP and unzip it and drop the "BiomeCorrections" sub folder in your KSP/GameData folder.

Would need to ping Rodger to see if there have been updates, or if the mod is even needed anymore.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I was browsing the Kittopia extracts and noticed the cause of the issue seems to be simply due to a color duplication in the biome configuration and map. The issue is also reflected in the images on the Wiki which have the same color code on the map for both biomes.

I've updated the existing bugtracker ticket for the issue to advise @SQUAD the changes required to fix this years old issue

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/13965#note-6 

If you're able (and think it's worthwhile) log into the tracker and up vote the issue so it gets the devs attention

Edited by cyberKerb

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 6:44 PM, cyberKerb said:

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/13965#note-6 

If you're able (and think it's worthwhile) log into the tracker and up vote the issue so it gets the devs attention

I'm logged into the bugtracker site but the way to upvote the issue or your comment is eluding me; how do I do that?

I figured it out.  Upvoting is on issue only, not on specific comments from what I can see

Edited by darthgently

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

Unfortunately, I wouldnt hold your breath... lol

True, but for what seems to be an easy text edit of the biome color code and a small colorfill change to Tylo and Eve biome maps, you'd think this fix would be only a minor effort to correct.

Guess I've been following Wube and Factorio development too much. They are still the gold standard for development cycle and bug fixing processes.

I'm sure @SQUAD have bigger issues to address due to all their recent DLC releases and patches for gameplay improvements like the flight scene repairs.

Edited by cyberKerb

6 hours ago, AYes said:

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/27145

Forgot to add my vote - so done now. That only counts as two so far. A casual check of the issues log it seem most issues only get 0-3 votes. Those that are in confirmed status (ie had attention / impact enough for people to vote that they were looked at be Dev) have around 3-10 votes .So I'd so we're a long way of someone looking at it. For context though, they are fixing issue like being unable to save the game, which would be more important that a biome fix at this moment.

Priorities aside, I'd say you'd only need about 10 votes or so to make the point when compared to other votes that are being worked on / acknowledged. Then it's just up to the dev team other priorities as to when to tackle the issue.

17 hours ago, AYes said:

There are already 9 votes!

There's 10 now, but is still depends on the Devs having cleared other higher priority issues first. No point in bothering them, just have to have patience.

It only a minor issue the grand scheme of things when compared to the other in progress issues you can see they are working on.

• 8 months later...

Is this still an issue in stock? Just want to see if it’s worth updating

*edit* looks like Tylo is fixed in stock now, but not Eve. Uploaded an update which just removes my Tylo map, since it's not needed anymore.

Edited by Rodger

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.