KSP Age Groups?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Age?

• In school
    • In college( and/ or 18-24ish)
    • 25-40
    • 41-60
    • Above 60
  2. 2. Some people were complaining about 40 year-olds being grouped with 25 year-olds so...

• 25-30
    • 31-40
    • N/A

I've seen mainly two age groups for KSP: In college and 40-50 years old. I was wondering how many other ages people actually play this game ( because for a game like this, most people playing when they are 40-50 doesn't make much sense). 

P.S I'm not saying there is anything wrong playing KSP as an adult. I'm just wondering why a good portion of its players are adults.

Edited by JK_Kerbineer

Need to revise that last option to 60+.

Speaking only for myself, as an old fart I grew up with the space race from sputnik on. Star Trek was an obvious childhood TV obsession. KSP is the first satisfying opportunity I've found to 'live out' a childhood fantasy of going to space.

Just now, MoarBoostersRUS said:

I'm with rocket lol and isnt college and school the same thing? Also I'm 24 and in college (and will be till I'm old and grey) 

Well, I included "in college" because I know a lot of people are doing KSP to get a Ph.D. in avionics or something, while people in school might be doing it for fun, which is different.

1 minute ago, JK_Kerbineer said:

Well, I included "in college" because I know a lot of people are doing KSP to get a Ph.D. in avionics or something, while people in school might be doing it for fun, which is different.

I'm a physics major and play ksp for fun, but it also helps with a practical understanding but I'm not playing it to learn. 

24 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

Speaking only for myself, as an old fart I grew up with the space race from sputnik on. Star Trek was an obvious childhood TV obsession. KSP is the first satisfying opportunity I've found to 'live out' a childhood fantasy of going to space.

Good point, but then again...

24 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

KSP is the first satisfying opportunity I've found to 'live out' a childhood fantasy of going to space.

6 minutes ago, MoarBoostersRUS said:

I'm a physics major and play ksp for fun, but it also helps with a practical understanding but I'm not playing it to learn. 

I don't mean that people actually studying using KSP ( I need to write a letter to the board of education!)

I meant that they use it because it is related to what they are learning.

Or at least, that's the excuse they give to their professors when they are late to class.

Edited by JK_Kerbineer

2 minutes ago, MoarBoostersRUS said:

That's fair lol, I actually did write a paper to the education board of my college to outline the benefits of ksp in the teaching of physics, engineering and astronomy in a practical sense to go along with book learning :cool:

It would actually be very useful with principia

1 hour ago, JK_Kerbineer said:

I'm just wondering why a good portion of its players are adults.

Because after I've spent the day working my ass off and the evening dealing with unruly children sometimes I like to relax by pouring myself a couple fingers of scotch and flying virtual spaceships.

Just now, TheSaint said:

Because after I've spent the day working my ass off and the evening dealing with unruly children sometimes I like to relax by pouring myself a couple fingers of scotch and flying virtual spaceships.

This is the best way to spend the weekend! Booze and rockets :wink:

49 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

I can't say it any better than that.

Dear Kraken, I'm 37.  Please don't lump me in with 25 year olds.

1 hour ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

As far as why older players? We've shot enough monsters in narrow corridors to last us a life time already.

Basically this.  I have nothing against those who play such games, but at some point I really stopped enjoying them.

33 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Basically this.  I have nothing against those who play such games, but at some point I really stopped enjoying them.

Agreed. I really don't play many games anymore... and no more shooters. I already know I'm a good shot... :rolleyes:

Oh, for the record, I just turned 55... and I grew up on video games... the big 6 foot tall kind. But lately, other than KSP and Cities: Skylines, I really don't play much of anything. And I wouldn't be playing KSP so much except it's in a class of it's own that appeals to half a dozen things I love... :)

Edited by Just Jim

2 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

Well said Red, { yeah that was suppose to rhyme ) Yes, inspiration was abound in our child hood times. Oops, just dated ourselves.

The game is fun, the community isn't a thinly veiled adolescent liquiding contest. So you get the gamers who like to play for fun and relaxation, rather than compete for e-peen.
And space exploration appeals to all ages. Why wouldn't it?

I grew up in the C64 era and has been playing since. KSP has the definite advantage of being a game where I can talk with my wife as I play. Since childhood, I have been deeply fascinated by space, did minor in physics and a masters thesis in history of exobiology.

On the subject of shooters, I play these as well for the instant gratification. Sometimes you just crave junk food, other times half the joy is the time spent in the kitchen beforehand.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.