KSP Age Groups?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Age?

• In school
    • In college( and/ or 18-24ish)
    • 25-40
    • 41-60
    • Above 60
  2. 2. Some people were complaining about 40 year-olds being grouped with 25 year-olds so...

• 25-30
    • 31-40
    • N/A

I think your poll's broken.

I'm 56, so checked  41-60.  And i still have to enter in field 2 as either 25-30 or 31-40 to vote.  I suppose i could just check both and add them  to get 56-70 if it lets me.

KSP floats my boat for the same ressons many have given.  I grew up inspited by Apollo etc, and been fascinated by space exploration since.  And KSP gives me a chance to actually do some (sort of) .  And i can just play and relax for fun or do 'serious' missions and planning for them at my leisure without some young agile whippersnapper knifing me in the back saying 'take that noob' (Ì'm not a noob ok!  I'm just old, slow and rubbish).

On 10/21/2017 at 12:49 AM, JK_Kerbineer said:

I've seen mainly two age groups for KSP: In college and 40-50 years old. I was wondering how many other ages people actually play this game ( because for a game like this, most people playing when they are 40-50 doesn't make much sense). 

P.S I'm not saying there is anything wrong playing KSP as an adult. I'm just wondering why a good portion of its players are adults.

The composition of the people visiting -and posting- in these forums, doesn't necessarily reflect the actual age spectrum KSP is being played and appreciated by. Any poll on this, is bound to be answered by the former, which in my opinion, renders it inaccurate. So, the proper question should be: why would an adult pick this game up?

I can tell you that I initially didn't. I saw the little green people, the simplified graphics look and thought this game isn't for me. The fact that I'm here, is testament to how I couldn't have been more wrong. There's a very well thought system underneath, combining very good (to say the least) approximations of rocketry, orbital mechanics and atmospheric flight, with the ability to put together your own designs to the test. And it doesn't stop there. With the inclusion of asteroid/planetary resource utilization, you can set up meaningful infrastructure, on and around anywhere possible. You can expand, if you so choose.

There isn't a flight simulator, where I didn't find myself trying to get out of the atmosphere. Space is what I wanted. I almost ended up playing Orbiter -but I can do so much more in KSP. As for the little green people and the graphics look, I don't ignore them, I accept and often, appreciate them too.

I'm 44 years old.

Wait we're talking about what other games we're playing? Okay, here goes.

F1 2013, Prison Architect, Beam.NG Drive, Minecraft, War Thunder, World of Warships, and The Sims 4. And that's what I've got on the computer! Xbox I have F1 2014 (working on my first season of career mode now), MC, NFS, FIFA, and Forza. I don't really know what my attraction to KSP has been... maybe it's the goofy faces. Or maybe it's the fact I can do stuff without it having real consequences. Who knows.

(Oh, also, age: In school; Freshman in high school to be exact)

On 10/20/2017 at 5:37 PM, Red Shirt said:

KSP is the first satisfying opportunity I've found to 'live out' a childhood fantasy of going to space.

On 10/21/2017 at 12:09 AM, Snark said:

^ This!

Joined for the space, stayed for the fighter jetting :wink: 

6 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Wait we're talking about what other games we're playing? Okay, here goes.

F1 2013, Prison Architect, Beam.NG Drive, Minecraft, War Thunder, World of Warships, and The Sims 4. And that's what I've got on the computer! Xbox I have F1 2014 (working on my first season of career mode now), MC, NFS, FIFA, and Forza.

[edited by adsii1970 for the stuff I want to comment on]

I'm not into racing games that much. I have a PS2 Lego racer that I will play with my daughter. I am pretty good at it, but I love making her crash so she has to rebuild her car! :D I have never played Prison Architect, but did do Mall Architect and Airport Architect (I think those were the names), but mostly now, I play KSP, Banished, Civilization V, Galactic Empires III, and Cities: Skylines... and Silent Hunter IV.

In real life, I am trying my hand at modding for KSP and am creating a new solar system for you folks to explore once it's done. I'm still learning to play the Ukulele and am practicing the piano and cornet thirty minutes a day each. And that's on top of family things and work things... 

And thank you very much for making me feel old.

Can I complain about the 33 year olds being lumped in with the 40 year olds? :wink:

It should be:

Are you:

• A child
  • 33 years old
  • An ancient, decaying elder.

Much more representative.

2 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

And thank you very much for making me feel old.

Can I complain about the 33 year olds being lumped in with the 40 year olds? :wink:

It should be:

Are you:

• A child
  • 33 years old
  • An ancient, decaying elder.

Much more representative.

Speak for yourself... I am 47 years young, you old goat! :D 

I'm soon to be 42. I've always loved space travel and also grew up in the "golden age" of video games, starting with arcade machines and Atari 2600's, progressing through the C64 and NES eras, then into PC gaming (Doom, XWing, Tie Fighter, Wing Commander, Privateer, Fallout, etc), and right on through to today's console and PC generations. Video games, especially Sci-Fi and space based games have always been my favorites, regardless of genre (FPS, RTS, Flight Sim, etc).

KSP lets me play out many of my fantasies of going to space and doing stuff there. I know there is a certain segment of this community that dumps on KSP for "not being realistic enough", but it hits the sweet spot for me and I love the game. Yeah, I get bored with it every once in a while, but I just take a break and come back to it refreshed and ready to build, launch, and explore!

On 10/20/2017 at 4:49 PM, JK_Kerbineer said:

P.S I'm not saying there is anything wrong playing KSP as an adult. I'm just wondering why a good portion of its players are adults.

I'm guessing its because its a fairly involved game to learn & appreciate. I tried showing it to my 12 yr old nephew one time & he just didnt "get it." It can be difficult to diagnose why a rocket launch isnt working when you first start playing the game, & I'm sure that turns some people off. Its got a pretty steep learning curve.....

19 hours ago, razark said:

I think you'll find that there are many different play styles involved.  Some like more realism, some (for some reason) actually like the "lol kurlz r dumb" lolsplosion style.

I spent my whole life immersed in the space program.  KSP feeds into that.  And this space program has a hell of a lot less paperwork and stupidity involved than the other one I deal with.

Indeed.  Being 41, I am unable to honestly answer the entire poll.

Maybe if the world stopped treating kids like they're supposed to have short attention spans, they'd find that some of the kids are quite capable of holding interest in something.

I know that does not apply to everyone, but then there are those COD addicted, $3000 dollar game system owning kids, that think anything other than shooter games are boring and nerdy, and convince everyone else that. Maybe this would be more appealing to them than say, Orbiter.

@Tyko

@eloquentJane @EpicSpaceTroll139 @pandaman 

Fixed It

Edited by JK_Kerbineer

I seem to be 15-25 years younger than the majority of players on the forums, then?

I don't really know why I play KSP. Might be because I love mathematics, physics (especially astrodynamics) and everything related?

It's just a really fun game I could play for a long time. There are so many possibilities, so much to do!

Remember the results are skewed because we are already self-selected as quite an "into it" group. We're not just forum members, we're forum members invested enough to click on a poll to see what the age ranges are. Many members won't be that interested, or even see the poll. And many more KSP players won't even have profiles here. Its an informative result, to be sure, but its by no means representative of gross reality.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.