Disappointed with Eve

LunaTrick

It's been a while since I have played KSP. I finally got a rover down to Eve to find out Eve has changed so much, the fun is gone.

Rovers slide all over the place. If you can't stop, you can't save the game. If you run out of power on the way up to a peak, you get to slide all the way down to the base. You can no longer make it to the top of the mountains. Gravity is supposed to be high, I suppose that is why rovers slide instead of coming to a stop? Then why is it I can click on a command chair 4' off the ground and gravity doesn't even affect that "jump" of 4'??? Kerbals hop up there regardless of the heavy gravity.

Eve used to be the hardest planet to work on. Honestly, it seems so broken to me now, I put the game away.

Edited by LunaTrick

Tweak the friction settings on the wheels. Turn the auto settings off, bump friction and traction from 1.0 to 5.0. Problem solved.

For my part, I don't even play with the stock system anymore, my Eve is 3x the radius (along with almost every other body being 3x radius), only 1.2G, and the atmospheric pressure reaches 10 atmospheres instead of 5 (this is very very very bad for rocket ascents from sea level). The reduction from 1.7 to 1.2 G also helps, and in the process, Eve becomes more venus-like

It's not a problem with Eve per se. It's a problem with wheels and landing gear ever since a unity update broke them back in 1.2. The devs put in a huge effort trying to fix things, and they did a great job patching things up, but as you can see, there are still bugs :(

9 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

... only 1.2G, and the atmospheric pressure reaches 10 atmospheres instead of 5 ....

If I were to change Eve, those would be the exact same changes I'd make.  I think its surface gravity is currently too high for its size, and to add some difficulty back for having reduced the gravity, increase the atmospheric pressure.

12 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

ve is 3x the radius (along with almost every other body being 3x radius), only 1.2G, and the atmospheric pressure reaches 10 atmospheres instead of 5 (this is very very very bad for rocket ascents from sea level). The reduction from 1.7 to 1.2 G also helps, and in the process, Eve becomes more venus-like

What mod is this?

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/22/2017 at 6:24 AM, LunaTrick said:

Gravity is supposed to be high, I suppose that is why rovers slide instead of coming to a stop?

actually friction is proportional to the normal force, so higher gravity means more friction.

if Eve is slippery the cause must be the type of material that cover its surface

from a technical point of view, there should be a parameter defining how "slippery" the surface of a planet should be.

not sure if what you are experiencing is a bug introduced by some recent changes or if is like that on purpose

anyways, using kopernicus it should be possible to correct this.

@Kopernicus
{
	@Body[Eve]
	{
		%PQS
		{
			%PhysicsMaterial
			{
				%bounciness = 0
				%staticFriction = 0.8
				%dynamicFriction = 0.6
			}
		}
	}
}

0.8 and 0.6 are the stock parameters, try to increase those and see what happens

Edited by Sigma88

I wouldn't really care if Eve was made more friendly, but i think the High Gravity and the High pressures is what gives Eve its character. If you want to drive a rover or jump on Eve but its impossible, then don't do it. I don't like planets with no difficulties, everything would be the same, and extremely boring.

if the slope is to big you can try to zigzag. So don't try to ride over the steepest part of the hill in front of you, but curve over the hill in hairpin bends.

Added to that, increase friction on the wheels and if proven not useful try to add more wheels. I make Eve rovers and have them carry a ISRU to supply fuel back to the ship.
In some cases I give the rover a small boost so it will climb the hill using a smaller engine.

I hate roving on Eve though.
When I do rove on Eve I pick a specific course using "Bon voyage" or "Mechjeb rove autopilot" let is finish and then do something else. Repeat everyday until you get to your destination, rather then babysit your monitor until your Eve rover gets somewhere, which is tedious like a teddy. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.