[1.12.x] Probe Control Room Recontrolled

linuxgurugamer

This mod was originally written by @Tabakhase  and then picked up by @Virindi

original thread is here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/61250-104wipivaplugin-probecontrolroom-10-beta10a-iva-all-the-things-notsoshaky/

@Virindi's thread is here:https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/160014-122-probe-control-room-continued-1226-20170501/&

pQC1UJI.png

Since the most recent maintainers seem to have decided not to continue this mod, I have gone ahead and updated it.

This mod adds a "Mission Control" IVA to unkerballed vessels.

-Supports either standard RasterPropMonitor MFDs or the ASET versions.

-Configuration option to force control room only for probe vessels (no external view).

Requirements:

-Module Manager

-RasterPropMonitor

-ToolbarController

-ClickThroughBlocker

-[Optional] ASET Props

-***NOTE*** If you are using ScanSat, you currently need the dev version of ScanSat to avoid a problem with RPM displays going unresponsive. ***NOTE***

Download: https://spacedock.info/mod/1558/Probe Control Room Recontrolled

Source: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/KSP-ProbeControlRoom

License: CC-BY-NC-SA-3.0

This mod is a continuation of the work of: @Tabakhase, @icedown, @Albert VDS, @MeCripp, @Nils277, @JPLRepo, @Dexter9313, @Z-Key Aerospace, @jlcarneiro.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Do you use it?

Because of this update, yes

I thougt of it every time I flew an unmanned mission, because I would like to have the external cameras to have some realism (looking from the outside in space is a bit strange)

Hi!

I had an interesting idea that is probably relevant to this mod, and I wondered if it even was possible.

The idea stems from the fact that controlling probes from the ground KSC sometimes doesn't make sense. Say you have a station in orbit with a detachable probe used to move modules around and build your station further. I think it'd be more appropriate for a kerbal in the station's command pod to control the probe, so the probe's IVA would be the command pod's, using its screens to monitor attitude, info, cameras of the probe instead of the station's. Maybe you could even switch between controlling the station and the probe, or use screens to see info/cameras from both ships at the same time.

This would also be appropriate for controlling autonomous rovers near a Mun base, for example.

Before going into IVA for the probe, you would choose who's controlling it: either KSC (normal ProbeControlRoom) or any other ship within physics range (or further, depending on what's possible).

Would that be interesting for anyone else? Is that even possible to make as a mod?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Vermoot said:

Hi!

I had an interesting idea that is probably relevant to this mod, and I wondered if it even was possible.

The idea stems from the fact that controlling probes from the ground KSC sometimes doesn't make sense. Say you have a station in orbit with a detachable probe used to move modules around and build your station further. I think it'd be more appropriate for a kerbal in the station's command pod to control the probe, so the probe's IVA would be the command pod's, using its screens to monitor attitude, info, cameras of the probe instead of the station's. Maybe you could even switch between controlling the station and the probe, or use screens to see info/cameras from both ships at the same time.

This would also be appropriate for controlling autonomous rovers near a Mun base, for example.

Before going into IVA for the probe, you would choose who's controlling it: either KSC (normal ProbeControlRoom) or any other ship within physics range (or further, depending on what's possible).

Would that be interesting for anyone else? Is that even possible to make as a mod?

Thanks!

Don't think it will work like you want so far as picking what IVA you wanted at anytime but the work around you could pick a IVA you wanted to use but just a guess maybe your thinking that the probe control room is seating at KSC which that was the point of the mod but in game it's right where the probe is at that's my guess how there getting around the physics range problem it's just a little code magic lol that you see the probe in space in not the room floating around doing all the stuff

It could be tied to a part. Make a small, radial attach part like a probe control antennae or console or something. Then it can have it's own custom iva that is used when you want to control from a vessel. In fact, if it were a window, or "camera" with an antenna, that would be a reason to have an external view in the the center of this iva.

Edited by Errol

4 hours ago, Errol said:

It could be tied to a part. Make a small, radial attach part like a probe control antennae or console or something. Then it can have it's own custom iva that is used when you want to control from a vessel. In fact, if it were a window, or "camera" with an antenna, that would be a reason to have an external view in the the center of this iva.

What would happen if you had 2 parts that had 2 different IVA ? And then you lose me on the window in this IVA why would you do that its to look like you controlling a probe from far away lol to funny IMA the other there are so many IVA's out there writing a MM to cover them all and pick what ever you wanted would be a lot of work now if you picked a part of a mod that you wanted to use that could be done now but more then 1 IVA pretty sure you would have to find a way to load and unload IVA's depending on what one you picked from because looks like KSP loads all parts of a craft up and if there was more then one IVA to pick from wow the memory load I would think, On that not many would use or could

On 25.10.2017 at 7:14 AM, Freyja said:

Just as an FYI, CKAN is showing a "KSP ProbeControlRoom" as well as "Probe Control Room Recontrolled".

I noticed that too, and I noticed they both show author "linuxgurugamer" and are mutually exclusive.

On 2017-10-26 at 6:48 PM, Mecripp said:

What would happen if you had 2 parts that had 2 different IVA ? And then you lose me on the window in this IVA why would you do that its to look like you controlling a probe from far away lol to funny IMA the other there are so many IVA's out there writing a MM to cover them all and pick what ever you wanted would be a lot of work now if you picked a part of a mod that you wanted to use that could be done now but more then 1 IVA pretty sure you would have to find a way to load and unload IVA's depending on what one you picked from because looks like KSP loads all parts of a craft up and if there was more then one IVA to pick from wow the memory load I would think, On that not many would use or could

I realize the point of this mod is to make it look like you are controlling a probe from far away, that is not what we were discussing here though. 

What I am talking about is how to handle the situation in which you are controlling the probe with a signal processor from another vessel from a Remote command point.

I also understand that if the IVA's don't match, it would seem inconsistent, hence my proposal of creating a new part, to house the IVA for vessels that are controlling probes locally. It could be a copy of a stock my 1 passenger fuselage with a computer station on the wall inside. The IVA would still be on the probe itself, it's just that if the controlling vessel has the signal processor part this alternat IVA is used. Part of my thinking with timing it to a part is that if you want to be able to see your probe from the perspective of the controlling craft there are two ways it could be done. By somehow having control of the probe while the IVA is in the controlling vessel, which I'm going to guess is not actually possible in the game. This would allow you to simply look out the window....but then we start getting into the miss match IVA problems too.

So make it a camera instead. I mean the part. You have to attach a small part to your controlling craft, along with the signal processor, which either looks like a window or a camera, but regardless acts like a camera in that it feeds a POV to a screen in an IVA that either looks like a monitor on the wall of some craft, or looks like a window on the wall of some craft. The if you are controlled from the signal processor instead of the ground, you see the ship control point IVA instead. 

I don't know if having a camera on a vessel that is not focused is problematic. Just trying to brainstorm here.