Star Wars - Machete Order - Where Does Rogue One Fit In?

PakledHostage

As the thread title asks: Where does Star Wars Rogue One fit into Machete Order? I rewatched the whole series in machete order last winter and I agree that it works better that way than watching in other orders. I intend to watch it in that order with my kids once they are old enough. And as, in my opinion anyways, Rogue One is one of the best Star Wars movies, it needs to be in there somewhere... But where?

I would just watch it afterwards. The original movies are fundamentally the story of Luke Skywalker. Machete Order totally reinforces that. Rogue One is a great movie, but it has nothing to do with Luke. Adding it into that mix is just going to dilute that essential storyline.

On 10/23/2017 at 1:07 AM, TheSaint said:

I would just watch it afterwards. The original movies are fundamentally the story of Luke Skywalker. Machete Order totally reinforces that. Rogue One is a great movie, but it has nothing to do with Luke. Adding it into that mix is just going to dilute that essential storyline.

Actually, if you wanted to expand the concept, it is about the discovery, the loss, and eventual redemption of Anakin Skywalker. This is why I really hated the way they did Return of the Jedi AND The Force Awakens. Sure, Luke is a main character, but Anakin was the chosen one... :D

Rogue 1 is a nice spin-off that fits between Episode III and Episode IV.

1 minute ago, adsii1970 said:

Anakin was the chosen one... :D

That's interesting because I was under the impression that Anakin was to "bring about order in the force" which he kind of did in Luke, who is much more passionate in his convictions than the Jedi of old (IMO at least), which fits into the light/dark paradigm rather than the disinterested/dark paradigm.

Might just be me reading too much into Lucas' relatively simple space opera though...

2 minutes ago, regex said:

That's interesting because I was under the impression that Anakin was to "bring about order in the force" which he kind of did in Luke, who is much more passionate in his convictions than the Jedi of old (IMO at least), which fits into the light/dark paradigm rather than the disinterested/dark paradigm.

Might just be me reading too much into Lucas' relatively simple space opera though...

Haha - there's a lot of wisdom in your last sentence... truly there is.

Unfortunately, episodes 1 though 3 never delivered through on the short stories written by Lucas when he was doing the whole Star Wars idea. The Clone Wars are not handled well at all, nor is the torment of Anakin. Anakin was to bring balance to the force... and the Jedi have misinterpreted it. There was a cut scene from Episode III where Yoda says - "Two Sith, Two Jedi... read the prophecy wrong, we did..." as he and Obi-Wan go off into obscurity.

But Luke is also deeply flawed, as was Anakin. If you remember, in Return of the Jedi, he is wearing all black, something we see from the Sith. Jedi mostly wear earth tones, for the lack of a better description. And when we see the "digitally enhanced" version of Episode VI, Anakin appears wearing the earth-tone robes...

2 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

the end of rouge one is right before a new hope right?

Yes. It is.  In fact, it is just *moments* before New Hope and explains why Darth Vader orders that ship torn apart...

1 minute ago, adsii1970 said:

Haha - there's a lot of wisdom in your last sentence... truly there is.

Unfortunately, episodes 1 though 3 never delivered through on the short stories written by Lucas when he was doing the whole Star Wars idea. The Clone Wars are not handled well at all, nor is the torment of Anakin. Anakin was to bring balance to the force... and the Jedi have misinterpreted it. There was a cut scene from Episode III where Yoda says - "Two Sith, Two Jedi... read the prophecy wrong, we did..." as he and Obi-Wan go off into obscurity.

But Luke is also deeply flawed, as was Anakin. If you remember, in Return of the Jedi, he is wearing all black, something we see from the Sith. Jedi mostly wear earth tones, for the lack of a better description. And when we see the "digitally enhanced" version of Episode VI, Anakin appears wearing the earth-tone robes...

Yes. It is.  In fact, it is just *moments* before New Hope and explains why Darth Vader orders that ship torn apart...

i thought so.

12 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Which he did. There were way too many Jedi and not enough Sith. Anakin balanced it by wiping out most of the Jedi, leaving roughly equal numbers of each

Which was why I could not believe they edited out Yoda's observation in Episode III - "Two Sith, Two Jedi... read the prophecy wrong, we did..."

14 hours ago, GreenLight said:

i thought so.

Right, but Machete Order goes 4, 5, 2, 3, 6. Watching Rogue One before any of them ( i.e. before 4) doesn't make sense when watching them in that order. The Saint makes a good case for watching it after 6.

15 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Which was why I could not believe they edited out Yoda's observation in Episode III - "Two Sith, Two Jedi... read the prophecy wrong, we did..."

Was that scene filmed and later decided to be cut out of the final movie release?

Ever since I've first seen SW, that was the balance I saw. Too many Jedi, not enough Sith, Anakin whoops some butt, equals out the playing field.

4 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Was that scene filmed and later decided to be cut out of the final movie release?

Ever since I've first seen SW, that was the balance I saw. Too many Jedi, not enough Sith, Anakin whoops some butt, equals out the playing field.

Yes, it was filmed and later cut. It was used in one of the trailers... But no... Not left in the movie. It was a powerful scene.

It is on YouTube, I believe.

On 10/25/2017 at 8:11 AM, StrandedonEarth said:

Which he did. There were way too many Jedi and not enough Sith. Anakin balanced it by wiping out most of the Jedi, leaving roughly equal numbers of each

I remember sitting through the prequels in the theater and thinking, "Do these guys not hear the words that are coming out of their mouths? Seriously? The last thing the Jedi want is to bring balance to the Force. If they had half a brain they would find the Chosen One, then lock him up and throw away the key."

50 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I remember sitting through the prequels in the theater and thinking, "Do these guys not hear the words that are coming out of their mouths? Seriously? The last thing the Jedi want is to bring balance to the Force. If they had half a brain they would find the Chosen One, then lock him up and throw away the key."

Exactly! They are sitting in their huge skyscraper, have a galaxy wide influence, a huge academy, a licence to kill and saying "Move along, Jedi business." is enough to clear out the room; and they want a balance with their arch enemies that are (in the Episode 1) relegated to the history books and stories for scaring kids with. Last thing I would want is balance.

On 25.10.2017 at 4:56 PM, regex said:

Funny, in my understanding the Problem was we had the Dark Side of the Force and the neutral (grey as Jedi)... but never the Light Side.

And the neutrals was in Overpovering position . Thus way Anakin DID a rebalance of the Force by decimating this Forceimbalance....

But who is the Avatar of Light? Maybe realy Luke for destroing the Avatar of Darkness (Palpatine) and bringing Vader back to the neutrality and disappering afterwards like its belong for a true righteous charakter(he is to mighty to stray around).

Edited by Urses

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.