[1.12.x] Through The Eyes of a Kerbal

linuxgurugamer

• 4 weeks later...

@linuxgurugamer Hi, do you think I would be possible to make this (great) mod available for the external command seat? Since through the eyes or IVA view don't work with it.

Would be awesome, thanks.

EDIT: I just realize that maybe my question is stupid since the External C Seat is a "command module", and not a Kerbal in EVA, but who knows!

Edited by kurgut

22 minutes ago, kurgut said:

@linuxgurugamer Hi, do you think I would be possible to make this (great) mod available for the external command seat? Since through the eyes or IVA view don't work with it.

Would be awesome, thanks.

EDIT: I just realize that maybe my question is stupid since the External C Seat is a "command module", and not a Kerbal in EVA, but who knows!

Not a stupid question, but you just hit the nail on the head.

That would require  a IVA 

10 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not a stupid question, but you just hit the nail on the head.

That would require  a IVA 

Ok, yes obviously needs a IVA. The mod allowing IVA is not mentioned in the thread above and can't find it or similar one, however just found that USI exploration had similar external seat with IVA, gonna try it. Thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a way I can edit the files to make the game think I'm in an IVA when I'm in a first person EVA? I'm trying to make this mod work in conjunction with Vivero, a VR mod. Vivero unfortunately only allows you to enable VR when you're in an IVA.

• 1 month later...

I think you would need to change vivero, "not through the eyes". KerbTrack for example works with through the eyes because it as options to enable in both IVA and flight mode.

Anyway, if you lock to IVA, how do you go EVA without being able to click on kerbal portraits? Is that was the EVAkey in the settings is for? What key is the "default" for that?

• 9 months later...

Hey, anyone who sees this mod and thinks, "Oh no, it's not updated for 1.7.1!", don't worry, it works.  I have done some testing and it still works as advertised. 

Just a note though: if you EVA while in docking mode and press "C", the rotation controls won't work right and it becomes very disorienting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

EDIT: About "Through the eyes" and "Vivero".

Spoiler

Just to be sure : Is this mod still meant to be working? I've reported this issue which makes it completely unusable for me : https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Through-The-Eyes/issues/2

With Vivero, the camera does not follow the Kerbal's body when he moves. So as soon as he moves you end up watching the Kerbal drift away from the camera...

I'm trying to use this with VR  (Vivero) and I don't understand what's the general philosophy.

• If you're wearing the VR headset then you cannot use WASD and IJKLHN because you can't see the keyboard.
  • So then I thought I might want to use a joystick, at least as a substitute to IJKLHN. But it doesn't seem to do anything. (I'm using the joystick to fly the rocket with no issues).

Am I missing something?

Edited by jeancallisti

7 minutes ago, jeancallisti said:

Just to be sure : Is this mod still meant to be working? I've reported this issue which makes it completely unusable for me : https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Through-The-Eyes/issues/2

It should, but saying that "it isn't working" isn't helpful at all.  Details about your install would be helpful, as would a log file.  Somewhat along these lines:

Spoiler
16 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It should, but saying that "it isn't working" isn't helpful at all. 

Thanks for your answer. I have described the setup and the observed behaviour. I get from your snarky answer that I'm not observing what you observe, and that the mod "should work". Would you have any idea, then, why the camera does not follow the Kerbal when I'm in EVA with Vivero? Even without logs, maybe what I describe has been experienced by someone else.

I didn't spot any error related to your mod in the logs; however I'm using DMP. Could there be a conflict with the server not picking up on the camera position?

Edited by jeancallisti

1 hour ago, jeancallisti said:

Thanks for your answer. I have described the setup and the observed behaviour. I get from your snarky answer that I'm not observing what you observe, and that the mod "should work". Would you have any idea, then, why the camera does not follow the Kerbal when I'm in EVA with Vivero? Even without logs, maybe what I describe has been experienced by someone else.

I didn't spot any error related to your mod in the logs; however I'm using DMP. Could there be a conflict with the server not picking up on the camera position?

Snarky?  Sorry you felt that, but you didn't give any other information, no log files, etc

And now, all of a sudden, you mention that you are using DMP.  How was I supposed to know that, do you expect me to read your mind?  I refer you again to the video clip, and next time, please give more detailed information other than "It's broken", which is essentially all you said.

You said the following on Github:

I'm trying to use this with VR and I don't understand what's the general philosophy.

• If you're wearing the VR headset then you cannot use WASD and IJKLHN because you can't see the keyboard.
  • So then I thought I might want to use a joystick, at least as a substitute to IJKLHN. But it doesn't seem to do anything. (I'm using the joystick to fly the rocket with no issues).

Am I missing something?

Also the camera does not follow the Kerbal's body when he moves. So as soon as he moves you end up watching the Kerbal drift away from the camera...

Please show me what "setup" you described.  No log file, no version of KSP, no list of other mods, etc.

I'm good, but not that good.

Spoiler

14 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm good, but not that good

Could you simply confirm (one time, explicitly)  that you have tried your mod with Vivero  (VR) and that you have observed a situation where the  first-person camera follows the kerbal when the kerbal is moving, as expected? Before going through the whole troubleshooting thing I want to be sure that we're talking about the same thing, which I'm not sure of at all at the moment.

More details :

• KSP 1.7.2
  • The issue happens in a "normal" KSP game (DMP not involved)
  • The issue does not happen when the EVA is done without VR; only when VR is enabled.

Edited by jeancallisti

59 minutes ago, jeancallisti said:

Could you simply confirm (one time, explicitly)  that you have tried your mod with Vivero  (VR) and that you have observed a situation where the  first-person camera follows the kerbal when the kerbal is moving, as expected? Before going through the whole troubleshooting thing I want to be sure that we're talking about the same thing, which I'm not sure of at all at the moment.

More details :

• KSP 1.7.2
  • The issue happens in a "normal" KSP game (DMP not involved)
  • The issue does not happen when the EVA is done without VR; only when VR is enabled.

I don't own any VR equipment.  And the camera ALWAYS follows the kerbal when I've used it.

And if it is only when VR is enabled, I can't do anything about it.

EDIT

Spoiler
12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I don't own any VR equipment.  And the camera ALWAYS follows the kerbal when I've used it.

And if it is only when VR is enabled, I can't do anything about it.

Thanks.

Simple suggestion: I would suggest looking at how camera positioning is detached from the kerbal's skull in Vivero and maybe see how it conflicts with your mod. You two have done a great job to offer first-person EVA, each dealing with one end of the problem, and it would be really sad for the KSP community if you didn't meet in the middle.

Edited by jeancallisti

28 minutes ago, jeancallisti said:

Thanks.

Simple suggestion: I would suggest looking at how camera positioning is detached from the kerbal's skull in Vivero and maybe see how it conflicts with your mod. You two have done a great job to offer first-person EVA, each dealing with one end of the problem, and it would be really sad for the KSP community if you didn't meet in the middle.

I took a look at the mod (would have been nice to have a link).  It does a lot of stuff which I stay away from, and frankly to a certain extent, I don't understand.

I'm rather busy with other mods, and in case you didn't know, I didn't write this mod, I'm only maintaining it.  If he would like to collaborate, I'd be willing to talk, but since this isn't an interest of mine, I'm not going to push the issue.

5 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I took a look at the mod (would have been nice to have a link).  It does a lot of stuff which I stay away from, and frankly to a certain extent, I don't understand.

I'm rather busy with other mods, and in case you didn't know, I didn't write this mod, I'm only maintaining it.  If he would like to collaborate, I'd be willing to talk, but since this isn't an interest of mine, I'm not going to push the issue.

Ok. Thanks for taking the time to answer. I think the issue is better in his hands indeed since he's the one messing up with camera position and deciding what object it follows. I've pushed the issue on his side. If you find the energy, and since this mod knows the head's position, then maybe consider exposing the Kerbal's neck position and orientation in some readily accessible variable, that another mod could build upon.

Thanks again for maintaining this very cool mod.

Edited by jeancallisti

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Tested it on 1.9.1 and it's kind of broken, the screen flashes black while I am doing an excursion on the Mun. I have TURD installed, I will test the mod again without TURD and report back. I really hope this fixes it because I really want to try a game of KSP on a first person perspective .

EDIT: Removing custom skins on Texture Replacer seemed to fix the problem.

Edited by acr_8133
update

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Alaygrounds said:

but
why the HELL IS I DOWN AND K UP

It's been a while, but ISTR that you could configure them?

On 10/23/2017 at 12:53 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Settings are available via the stock settings page, either when creating a new game or in-game from the space center or flight scenes.  To access the settings in-game, get to either the Space Center or Flight scenes, hit the escape key, click the Settings button, then click the Difficulty Options button to get to all the settings pages

On 3/23/2020 at 7:24 PM, acr_8133 said:

Tested it on 1.9.1 and it's kind of broken, the screen flashes black while I am doing an excursion on the Mun. I have TURD installed, I will test the mod again without TURD and report back. I really hope this fixes it because I really want to try a game of KSP on a first person perspective .

EDIT: Removing custom skins on Texture Replacer seemed to fix the problem.

What is "TURD"?

22 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What is "TURD"?

:lol:

EDIT:  I wasn't laughing at @linuxgurugamer but the acronym for that mod was.....well......
I had a litany of smart ass comments to follow up with, but decided not to resort to toilet humour.

Edited by GDJ