What planets have you made it to?

GreenLight

2 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

There are a couple of really crucial mods that make deep space exploration much more manageable. The first is Kerbal Alarm Clock which includes a transfer orbit calculator and will let you set timers for launch windows for whatever planet you want to visit. The other thing you'll want to know is your vessel's delta-v. I've always used Mech Jeb for this (I think KER is down?) but you can also do it manually. You can compare your values to the ones on this chart and it will tell you roughly whether you've got enough to get you where you're going.

600px-KerbinDeltaVMap.png
You can also use tools like Precise Maneuver to fine tune your approaches. Practice makes perfect, but tools help! 

That's a lot to remember and also i don't know how to download mods .-.

7 hours ago, Atkara said:

It doesn't happen overnight, at least it didn't for me. Can't speak about the rest.

Yeah, also i don't think i have put as many hours in as other people have.

13 hours ago, macbookacer said:

I've landed on the Mun many times. Once I landed on Minmus and Duna. I also burnt up in the atmosphere of Eve it that counts :D

Well if it counts then i have gone to eve too.

6 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

Oh its easy! Here are links to the two essentials:

First back up your save folder, then download the folders above and put them into "Game Data" in your KSP folder. You wont need 90% of what Mech Jeb can do but if you put the little Mech Jeb part on your craft you'll be able to see delta--v and TWR for each stage and track it while you're in flight. Its essential for building good rockets unless you like doing the math by hand. If mods don't appeal to you you can also use this: http://ksp.olex.biz/ and just eyeball the transfer angles. Either way you'll want to print out that chart or bookmark it in your browser. All his stuff should really be stock but whatareyagonnado.

I've made it to Mun, Minmus, Duna, Laythe and Eve, tho only made it back home from Mun and Minmus so far. All these were direct launches with no gravity assists from other bodies. 

From time to time I like to just build a VTOL-capable spaceplane with a rocket engine in the back, turn unlimited fuel and RCS on and take my own little grand tour with the simple goal of planting a flag on every single planet and all their moons (gas planets and asteroids excluded) and getting back home at last.

I've spent most of my time in KSP playin' around with planes in the atmosphere(s) so far, I don't really feel like going through all the learning process on how to build super-efficient rockets that can take X tons of payloads to location Y and back to Kerbin. Mun and Minmus are of course close enough targets to just gradually get there by trial and error, but for the targets that are further away it just gets tedious to try, revert, try again, revert, try another time, revert, try yet another time and STILL not get where I wanna go / get there but not quite back home. 

23 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Oh its easy! Here are links to the two essentials:

First back up your save folder, then download the folders above and put them into "Game Data" in your KSP folder. You wont need 90% of what Mech Jeb can do but if you put the little Mech Jeb part on your craft you'll be able to see delta--v and TWR for each stage and track it while you're in flight. Its essential for building good rockets unless you like doing the math by hand. If mods don't appeal to you you can also use this: http://ksp.olex.biz/ and just eyeball the transfer angles. Either way you'll want to print out that chart or bookmark it in your browser. All his stuff should really be stock but whatareyagonnado.

Do i need to back up my folder cause i don't know how either.

59 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

Yeah, also i don't think i have put as many hours in as other people have.

That's why Pthigrivi posted them, instead of calling you over phone/skype/other :wink:

Mod installation is rather easy in KSP. You download the mod, read the instructions, extract it to a temporary folder, copy what you should over to KSP's Gamedata folder, you're done. Or you can use CKAN to automate the process.

You won't need that many hours to start doing your thing. Being consistent and efficient at it though, comes only with practice and these two, will be key factors to the goals you may set next.

Edited by Atkara

12 minutes ago, Atkara said:

That's why Pthigrivi posted them, instead of calling you over phone/skype/other :wink:

Mod installation is rather easy in KSP. You download the mod, read the instructions, extract it to a temporary folder, copy what you should over to KSP's Gamedata folder, you're done. Or you can use CKAN to automate the process.

You won't need that many hours to start doing your thing. Being consistent and efficient at it though, comes only with practice and these two, will be key factors to the goals you may set next.

I tryed to use mechjeb but i cant get it to work i don't know, what i did is i downloaded it got it from downloads put it in gamedata and it didn't work, i may sound stupid.

Edited by GreenLight

10 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

I tryed to use mechjeb but i cant get it to work i don't know, what i did is i downloaded it got it from downloads put it in gamedata and it didn't work, i may sound stupid.

You should see a folder named "Mechjeb2" This is the one you need to copy over to Gamedata. Other than that, my experience with MJ is next to none, as I use Kerbal Engineer Redux (KER).

All stock planets, most planets from Outer Planets Mod and a few other planet packs.

My proudest so far, however, is my recent Lunar landing and return in RSS. :cool:

If I can pull off my planned Mars-and-back mission, then that'll easily be the most difficult one I've done yet!

(Regarding mod installation, I highly recommend CKAN!  It makes downloading and installating mods as easy as clicking a checkbox and a button.)

Edited by Slam_Jones

58 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

Do i need to back up my folder cause i don't know how either.

You don't have to, its just good practice in case anything goes wrong. I tend to just make a copy of the "save" folder in the KSP folder on my desktop. 

Let me see.. just topped 1,000 hours the other day. I’ve visited every planet in the stock system multiple times, and have visited planets from mods;

OPM:

Sarnus (and all of its moons)

Neidon and Thatmo

New Horizons:

Ernus (orbit)

Moh and Moho 

Arin (flyby, but I have a few Kerbals stuck in orbit around it right now), Atell

Jool and Duna

Kerbol Origins:

Sarvin and all five moons

Keelon (one-way)

Edited by Jack Joseph Kerman

All of them. With Kerbals. And I've recovered Kerbals from them all.

The hardest to land on is Tylo, because of the huge gravity and lack of atmosphere. The hardest to return from, by far, is Eve. You have to be either really good at designing craft (I wasn't), or you have to land a huge, heavy lander (I did).

Edited by RocketBlam

The Mun, Minmus, and Duna are the only planets/systems I can visit reliably, and with a solid chance of getting back. I've sent some ships to Eve, but that was before I knew much about the game, so there were quite a few of failed missions:

1 - No heat shields. Ship burned up.

2 - Mixed up Eve with Laythe, jet engines I used were useless.

3 - Forgot the lights and landed on the dark side of the planet after miscalculating an aerobrake. Only thing I could see were lots of explosions

4 - This last one went decently. Planted a flag. Whee...

I'm currently trying to get to the Jool system

I've visited nearly every planet and moon in the Kerbol system to a varying degree. 

-Mun and Minmus are constantly used for manned return missions and easy ways to get SCIENCE! Both moons have had or currently have stations or bases. 

-Duna is my most explored planet. In different KSP saves I've sent orbiters, drop-probes, unmanned landers, and even enormous crewed motherships to it. In my current science mod save, the planet is being observed by two orbiter probes, with a third operating on the surface. 

-Eve is another well-explored planet. I have a huge probe in orbit scanning the planet. In other saves, I've sent atmospheric descent and landing probes as well. 

-I have never visited Gilly. 

-Moho is often the first planet I send a probe once I acquire interplanetary tech in my science mod saves. Rather hard to get into orbit, however. 

-Dres is the only planet of the system I have yet to send a successful mission to. All attempts have failed. 

-Jool is rather hard for me. My most successful probe ever to reach the green giant managed to do several close flybys of Jool, Laythe, and Tylo (just 12 km above the latter) before getting flung out of the system. In my current save I have a large probe about a year and 88 days out from a Jool encounter. 

-Recently, I had my first ever Eeloo flyby. I should've tried to set a lower Pe

In stock? All of 'em. Several times, with Kerbals. Heck, I even visited them all in one mission once. At this point, my efforts have been redirected towards dealing with RSS, where I've managed manned and unmanned lunar landing and return, orbiters around Venus and Mars, and a Mercury flyby.

I have the far too common practice of starting a game, getting probes to Mun and Minmus, then sending others out towards Duna or Eve and then a new big patch coming out. I've managed to land Kerbals on Mun and return them alive, and land Kerbals on Minmus, though they managed to get stranded in orbit on the way home, 1.3 million kilometers from home at best, and then they got slingshot out by a Mun near miss out to deep Kerbol space.

For the moment, the only worlds I've landed on with a crew are Mun, Minmus and (duh) Kerbin.

But I have a 90-ton mothership around Duna that begs to differ, though.

As of probes, I have successfully landed a rover on Moho (with 16m/s of dV left...), Eve (3 tries and a sacrifice of the mother probe, but it still counts) and Duna.

I also went into orbit of Gilly (twice, and I got trolled by its unsafe low orbit each time) and Ike. Finally, I flew-by Sarnus from OPM.

My next plans, after the mega mission on Duna (that will also include Ike) is to go to Dres. Dunno what I'll do then. Gilly, maybe?

Every celestial bodies, though I only entered stable orbit. I only land when there's a damn good reason to do it. So far, out of all celestial bodies, I've landed on moho, eve, gilly, mun, duna, dres, laythe, vall, eelo (The least explored place is Jool's moons, I only ever go there once, and it's just an orbit)

I've only been to the Mun & Minmus so far. I'm playing with TAC LS tho so its a little bit harder to send Kerbals interplanetary. In my current game I have plans to send a probe to Duna soon. If it makes it it will be the first time I've sent something farther than Minmus.

On 10/27/2017 at 12:12 PM, GreenLight said:

I really recommend CKAN to manage your mods. It makes finding them & downloading them reeeeaaaally easy.....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.