Sundae Lifeboat

Sundae Lifeboat

GKjETds.png

Craft file on KerbalX

A stock lifeboat that can deliver a crew of 11 Kerbals from a station in a low Kerbin or Mun orbit or from a Minmus surface base.
Pretty stable during reentry. Can either land on a runway or splashdown.

m wet = 10.550 t
m dry = 8.385 t
Δv vac = 379 m/s
dimentions: 7.9 m × 5.0 m × 3.3 m
crew: 11 Kerbals

https://imgur.com/a/n07NE

Album n07NE will appear when post is submitted
Edited by Teilnehmer

I made a similar return shuttle, but a little smaller.

My main issue was with landing speeds. It was unable to do an unpowered landing because of it's low wing mass, without anything breaking. (Usually the cockpit survives though, so not a bad emergency landing)

I think it was at least 80 m/s for a hard landing, haven't played with it in a while. Might be 60.

So that raises the question- how well does your shuttle land? What is the minimum landing speed?

From looking at the pictures, my gut says it wouldn't, but my shuttle was a fully equipped mission pod, so it might be heavier.

Here, I’m doing an unpowered landing at the KSC runway with almost full tanks. It’s not super-easy, but it’s OK, and nothing’s broken.

Moreover, the thing is equipped with two Juno jet engines for powered landings.

Here, I’m trying to take off and then land using the jet engines with almost empty tanks. Well… not a perfect landing though…

The landing speed is about 70 m/s. It could be lower in the second video with empty tanks if I was landing more accurately — the take-off speed is about 50 m/s.

Edited by Teilnehmer

On 10/28/2017 at 12:16 AM, Teilnehmer said:

Here, I’m doing an unpowered landing at the KSC runway with almost full tanks. It’s not super-easy, but it’s OK, and nothing’s broken.

Moreover, the thing is equipped with two Juno jet engines for powered landings.

Here, I’m trying to take off and then land using the jet engines with almost empty tanks. Well… not a perfect landing though…

The landing speed is about 70 m/s. It could be lower in the second video with empty tanks if I was landing more accurately — the take-off speed is about 50 m/s.

Comparatively that glides very well. My actual touchdown speed was at like 80 m/s, with 4 juno engines on low throttle.

I think I just need to back and make a few modifications. I was prioritizing aesthetics too much.

Edited by MacLeod-Industries

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/31/2017 at 1:09 PM, Teilnehmer said:

Would you mind showing your craft?

I keep my gosh-darn promises.

Twenty days later:

The Arcmana Class Command Pod (Similar function to yours, but designed as a primary command pod for my first mun mission).

My attempt at an all-in-one reusable and compact command pod.

MAN does this thing suck more than I remember... I hadn't taken it out for a spin in quite a while... It flies horribly, has a painfully high cruising velocity, and weighs a ton...

However, it was only meant to re-enter from orbit and land, so it half worked for what I needed, especially because you start with very high speeds, so gliding is easy. I would increase the wing mass, but then it can't fit in a fairing to take off. (Otherwise, the COL is extremely high and the rocket flops over).

Been meaning to make a post for it, but I think I'm going to redo a lot of it.

https://imgur.com/a/nZBio

Brief Summary of features:

Fully functioning abort system. With fuction LES.

Landing legs and parachutes for emergency vertical landings.

Jet engines for atmospheric flight

Solar panels reaction wheels probe cores etc. etc.

RCS for rendezvous (Actually used a beta craft of this for my first rendezvous ever.)

Docking port on front & back.

...and my logo. Yay...!

Welp. Back to the drawing board... I just hope I will be able to get this thing perfected sometime.

Edited by MacLeod-Industries

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.