• Dres
    • Jool
    • Lay the
    • Vall
    • Tylo
    • Bop
    • Pol
    • Eeloo

I can't vote, because the answer is "Everywhere" and it's not one of the options on the poll.

By which I mean:  my junkyard is wherever debris happens to end up, which is all over the place.  Kerbin orbit tends to be the most crowded, just because lots of missions pass through there.  But there's stuff all over the place.

2 hours ago, Jack5.exe said:

- snip -

dat purdy !

... and I can see you in the beginning of the video, that evil smile. lol :cool:

Kerbin is my dumping ground, or at least I attempt to make sure all junk burns up coming back in. I try very hard not to leave stuff floating around out there, but it is inevitable.

When I build rockets, I use the sepatrons to push the empty stages back in, and use my velocity to get into orbit. For example, when I'm just about to reach orbit, I will release the first stage, having used up all it's fuel. I then use the second stage engine to get into orbit. If I have any remaining stages with fuel on the return trip, I transfer all of it into my main engine's fuel tank. While re-entering, I then dump the empty stages. That way, all debris gets destroyed.

I generally arrange it so that I drop debris onto a planet from a great height, resulting in pretty 'splodes and no litter but it doesn't always work, so my last save (before some kind of weird bug broke it) had big-ass fuel tanks all over the Mun and a sort of incipient Oort cloud of uncouplers, farings and dead probes.

There was also that upside-down rover in the Farside Crater...

Jeb should have got a medal for covering a record distance across the Mun on foot after that.

Edited by Inverurie Jones

Most of my debris is in some highly-eccentric orbit around Kerbin. These are disposed booster stages, transfer stages, etc. 

As I play with MKS, I generally "disassemble" any debris that ends up close to my bases. For example, my base on the Mun was surrounded by leftover dropships that brought parts of the base. At the same time, the base needed MaterialKits for various reasons. By disassembling all parts of each dropship individually (its an option in the right-click menu of each part), I ended up with a lot of MaterialKits, no debris, and a significant reduction in parts within physics range. The MaterialKits gained from disassembling all this debris was used to inflate all the Ranger parts for my base. Win-win-win situation.

Im so fussy about this. I've got a few stack separators floating around the solar system and they drive me crazy but I cant bring myself to delete them.

Also, mygod the bad language filter on this board is over the top. It translates "a.n.a.l" as "poophole" which is so much worse.

Edited by Pthigrivi

I've probably left the largest amount of mass on Eve over the years, although Tylo is probably coming up in close second with discarded descent stages. That said, in terms of sheer numbers I think I've probably ended up leaving more separate things on either the Mun or Duna than anywhere else (more likely Duna since the Mun is easier to make single-stage landing vehicles for).

• 4 weeks later...

After watching Planetes and a very close encounter with an old satellite,  I've become very scared of LKO debris. I'm quite lazy though, so I just terminate it in the tracking station. So yeah, my dumping ground is the hellish void where terminated vessels go to. 

Edited by A Soviet Tank
Oh dear autocorrect did not correct.

I just started a new save so currently my debris are all littered around a Kerbin or munar orbit due to me launching frequent rockets there looking for easter eggs. As I expand outward the debris fields will grow and expand along with me. I never get rid of my debris :D, they are a reminder of all my past missions.

10 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

Same as DDE, 5th Horseman, and Pthigrivi.
 I design every stage so that it's on a course to impact or burn up somewhere when I'm finished using it. I *hate* leaving debris.
Best,
-Slashy

We Kerbals shall be more foresighted than our human counterparts who have littered their planet's orbit so much that it has indeed become a problem

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.