Have you left kerbals to rot somewere

Jack5.exe

Were did you leave your kerbals to rot?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Were did you leave them to rot

I never let any of my kerbals rot anywhere not in Kerbin. The farthest is probably Duna during a botched landing sequence that destroyed the entire ship (though the rover inside survived), so I let jeb, bob, bill and val take a road trip there forever. Since then I always do my mission with "No one gets left behind" principle

The near left behind was a combination of my naivity and absolutely dumbness to use EVA.... Minmus landing predicted to be a lithobreak test and in my wisdom to use EVA Fuel before hands... short Kerbal was stuck on a nearly perfect circular orbit with PE + 1m above highest Mountains and AE at +5m. And as my skills where realy below anything possible to get a Craft with a cargobay in range and catch him up.... he wizzled around 1 year there... i am not realy sure if his Courage was at max and dumbness does concurence with sand before... but the experience clearly is a explanation for it... so many ice so snacky... and you don't get any... poor Kerbal ;.;

On a Sun escape trajectory, sometimes.

You know how it can be, a transfer to Jool takes a long time, so you may want to do other missions in the meantime. That gets you sidetracked, the Jool mission is forgotten, and the insertion burn doesn't happen.

You think about loading a save, but so much progress was made during the Jool transfer, that it would be too much to compromise. :(

22 hours ago, [insert_name_here] said:

Now I'd like to see you engineer a craft with a claw on the bottom that descends into the Mohole, grabs the pod and comes back out. That would be awesome.

Well, this happened long before the Klaw existed.  I gave some thought to using a KAS winch, which did exist in early form back then.,  However, I ultimately decided, as I usually still do, that this Kerbal's rescue cost exceeded his replacement cost.  Which was zero, because this was a sandbox game, which was all we had back then anyway.  So I left him to rot, as the OP asked about.

However, I admit to being a bit bothered about this.  The trapped Kerbal's pitiful whining on the radio (back then, pods never ran out of EC and didn't need antennae at all, let alone networks, so there was no shutting him up) was affecting the morale of the others.  Something had to be done.  So I buried him under a deep enough layer of Whack-a-Kerbal projectiles to block his signal :D 

This wasn't intentional, at least to start with.  I originally intended euthanasia.  It's just that I fired the 1st projectile without checking its size, which was where I'd left it last time, at a rather wider diameter than the Mk 1 pod.  As such, the projectile wedged in the Mohole a bit above the target and utterly blocked anything else from getting down there.  So then I scaled the size way down (to eliminate as much void space between them as possible) and basically poured a couple of cement trucks worth of them down on top of the 1st big one.  Problem solved :cool: 

Edited by Geschosskopf

On 11/1/2017 at 2:36 AM, Overfloater said:

On a Sun escape trajectory, sometimes.

You know how it can be, a transfer to Jool takes a long time, so you may want to do other missions in the meantime. That gets you sidetracked, the Jool mission is forgotten, and the insertion burn doesn't happen.

You think about loading a save, but so much progress was made during the Jool transfer, that it would be too much to compromise. :(

You see, were it me, I'd design some sort of monster of an ion-powered rescue boat and go intercept them and force that escape trajectory back down to something Jool-crossing, aiming for a gravity assist with Jool and hopefully Tylo, then abuse the excess delta-v in the rescue boat to make the final return trajectory a bit non-hohman to get 'em home faster.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.