What would you do on Mars?

NSEP

Say, you went on a Mission to Mars, you have 500 days on the surface, and you have no real 'mission' to preform. You have your own supercool rover, supercool spacesuit, and supercool other things, and there is a 0% chance of death or injury by accident and nothing to concern about, you are completely free. What places would you visit? What would you do?

I would get the spirit rover out of the dirt, dust off the Mars 3 rover and high five curiosity. I would also like to climb Olympus Mons, and Skydive down the Valles with a supercool Jetpack.

Edited by NSEP

I remember reading not long ago about a recently discovered martian cave, or lava tube kind of hole... something like that. I think I'd head there first...
I mean, think about it, a dark, spooky martian cave... yeah... they're hiding in there... :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I remember reading not long ago about a recently discovered martian cave, or lava tube kind of hole... something like that. I think I'd head there first...
I mean, think about it, a dark, spooky martian cave... yeah... they're hiding in there... :rolleyes:

Im sure there is waterice in those caves!

As a side subject palaeontologist i would probably die of boredom on mars if i had not done so on impact. I would probably prefer to actually have died on impact since there is nothing to do there. At least nothing which i am good at. Oh, i am good at doing nothing, but not for 500 days.

Kasei Valles is a place I want to learn more about by visiting. If I can go all over the planet I would. Valles Marineris, the Tharsis volcanoes, the icy poles, and the supposed former ocean shore. I would look at the rocks on the ground and bring some in under the microscope (a super cool one by the definition of the question). I would also look at the sky, to see the moons through my super cool telescope and see if I can see Earth during daytime with the dimmer sun, knowing I saw Venus during a partial solar eclipse on Earth. I'd watch Luna orbit Earth when they are near (you can really see that at night for a few months!) and enjoy the extremely low levels of light pollution and atmospheric refraction. It would also be cool to visit the moons too.

I'd want to bag some peaks and grok the view.

My desert here is lush by comparison even to the Sahara, much less Mars, but I love deserts, and I can be interested around every corner where I can see a slightly different view. 

Of course, 500 days is a long time, and I'd likely end up sitting inside on the computer arguing with you lot, anyway, only with a bit of a time lag in some responses.

I'd probably just die of shock and excitement :(

But otherwise, I would do this as well:

19 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I'd go visit as many of those conspiracy-based observation sites as I could. One pops into mind...

• Slide down Olympus Mons on my back
  • Sprinkle some Martian dust on a pizza
  • Use the rover to draw a picture of Jeb that covers the entire eastern hemisphere of Mars
  • Send spooky 2001:  A Space Oddysey references across the entire universe

On 11/3/2017 at 12:54 PM, Ten Key said:

I would probably do a lot of stargazing.

Heck yeah. Thin atmosphere, small moons, no city lights. Phobos and Deimos would be quite a sight, as would Earth and Moon. I wonder if you could see lightning and city lights with a decent telescope at closest approach.

Edited by cubinator

I would take one great picture, and then I'd find a car just like the one my family used to have that we'd take on road trips, and then I'd explore. I don't think I'd ever sleep, just drive around and look at stuff.

Spoiler

And I'd also make a sign for the "New New Netherlands." And put a statue of a kerbal in front of Curiosity. And buy a ton of obsidian and cut it into 1 x 4 x 9 meter slabs and plant them around the planet. And generally just do a ton of stuff that scientists someday are going to hate, and astronauts someday are going to have a good laugh at.

54 minutes ago, Confused Scientist said:

Hide contents

And I'd also make a sign for the "New New Netherlands." And put a statue of a kerbal in front of Curiosity. And buy a ton of obsidian and cut it into 1 x 4 x 9 meter slabs and plant them around the planet. And generally just do a ton of stuff that scientists someday are going to hate, and astronauts someday are going to have a good laugh at.

Don't forget to make a cave painting or something of 7 Grand Dad.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.