is there a way to disable the cheat menu?

guesswho2778

4 minutes ago, guesswho2778 said:

:sealed: i should have kept my mouth shut but i was serious

Nonsense, it's a legitimate question.

I highly doubt there's a way to shut it off.  It's not like it's advertised in game, I wasn't even aware of it until I joined the forums.  I suppose you could always electrify your F12 key.

Even if you manage to disable it in settings or via a mod you'll still be able to use it by resetting those settings or removing the mod when you get frustrated.

Either embrace it or learn how to say no to yourself. You'll either have fun doing things you wanted to do anyway or you'll have fun gitting gud.

Even if you can, don't.

From a certain point of view the cheat menu is a bad thing. But you don't use it because it is bad, you use it because it is good. It let you solve the issues you had 'playing fairly', and that is the reward that make you want to use it  more and more. Making something hard to get often make it even more rewarding when you get (just think about the taste of water when you are really thirsty) and so you want it even more. And since it is still accessible(just need to undo whatever you did to block it) you'll have little trouble to get it anyway.

What you really need is to make not using it more rewarding. If the satisfaction of 'playing fair' is not enough, find someway to reward yourself for not using the cheat menu.

Off course, you may also notice that this is a single player game and you can play as you like, including using "cheats"  and pretend those are just "debugging" . people may judge you (if you let them know) but their opinion is not much (if at all) relevant for your game.

Seal away your F12 key by popping off the keytop and injecting a non-conductive resin down between the contacts, letting it cure, then putting the keytop back to keep dust out.

F12 disabled for good, problem irrecoverably solved.

I use the cheat menu purely to stick a craft im working on into an orbit for further testing without having to launch every time.

Once im happy with the test I revert and launch the entire mission from the pad.

The rest of the cheat menu I never have and never will use.

I always forget there's an Alt+F12 menu. Actually, I can't remember when it was added. I'm not sure it was in the game when I started playing, so maybe it wasn't an option when I was learning to play.

I mention this because I think the way I learned to play could possibly help you, @guesswho2778. I relied heavily on quicksaves and quickloads as I was learning. Something like a Mun orbit-and-return mission meant breaking everything down into steps -- achieving Kerbin orbit, successfully burning for Mun intercept, mid-course correction to fine tune approach, achieving Mun orbit, burning to return to Kerbin, and landing/splashing down succesfully -- and quicksaving before attempting each step. If I messed up the next step, I just loaded the quicksave and tried again until I got it right. This way, I practiced the parts I most needed to practice until I was better at them without having to redo the whole mission from the beginning each time. These days it's even easier since you can save and load multiple named saves. If you discover at Step 5 that you don't have enough fuel, and you know that you can execute Step 2 better, you can load back to before Step 2 and try again.

Sometimes you'll still fail from just not having enough fuel for the mission you're attempting, but even failure provides knowledge and practice. Accept your mistakes and failures, learn from them, and move forward.

I feel this post. Lately I want a mode that eliminates the third-person view from manned craft, until it’s been unlocked by a successful IVA-only mission. Sure, I can make myself not use it. But it’s just isn’t quite the same as never having it available in the first place, somehow

23 hours ago, maceemiller said:

I use the cheat menu purely to stick a craft im working on into an orbit for further testing without having to launch every time.

Once im happy with the test I revert and launch the entire mission from the pad.

Yep, I use it to run "simulations" all the time. Testing radio networks, aerobraking, solar panels for the outer planets. After the simulations I revert back and fly the real mission. I don't feel this is cheating though. If you follow the R&D that NASA / SpaceX / Blue Origin does you know that they test exhaustively before anything goes on the launch pad.

As for the original question...there's no way to prevent yourself from cheating if you want to. You can edit configs or edit the Persistant.sfs file...The only way is to set a rule for yourself and then stick to it. A huge part of the fun of KSP is trying and failing, then trying again until you succeed.

Edited by Tyko

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

Yep, I use it to run "simulations" all the time. Testing radio networks, aerobraking, solar panels for the outer planets. After the simulations I revert back and fly the real mission. I don't feel this is cheating though. If you follow the R&D that NASA / SpaceX / Blue Origin does you know that they test exhaustively before anything goes on the launch pad.

As for the original question...there's no way to prevent yourself from cheating if you want to. You can edit configs or edit the Persistant.sfs file...The only way is to set a rule for yourself and then stick to it. A huge part of the fun of KSP is trying and failing, then trying again until you succeed.

Same.  Math is hard!  So if I need to know that a craft has enough dV to land on a body and get back to orbit, F12 is where I go.  I just consider it a simulator.

The only other feature I ever used was infinite fuel, which was just to screw around.  Sticking 6 Twitches on an MK1 command pod with infinite fuel (which works with no fuel tanks) is pretty amusing.

On 10/28/2017 at 1:19 AM, Geonovast said:

Well... keyboards are like $2, so.. I wouldn't go with irrecoverably :wink:

not if you have a laptop it has 3.93 GB of ram (unfortunately so much lag unless i have it on minimal quality and thats not fun)

On 10/28/2017 at 2:52 AM, maceemiller said:

yeah i do this to then i realise the craft i made to launch it is to laggy and its gonna be a pain to launch it so i choose to skip the suffering

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.