Random Science Facts Thread!

• 2 months later...

So, dog's age → human age is:

HumanAge_years = ln(DogAge_years) * 16 + 31

The dawgz get older first four years of life, then this process gets slower.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/829192v1.full

Edited by kerbiloid

The average human adult has 30 trillion cells (human ones, not counting all the other stuff that lives on/in the human body). Almost all of those cells are diploid, containing two copies of all 23 chromosomes and a total of a little more than 3 billion base pairs of DNA. DNA uses 4 bases- ACGT- so a four-base sequence is equivalent to one byte as both have 256 possible combinations. That means that each of your 30 trillion cells contains 0.75GB of data, meaning the entire human body contains a total of 23 TRILLION gigabytes, or about 20.5 Zettabytes, of genetic data.

The average human cell nucleus is 6 micrometres in diameter, so about 133 cubic micrometres in volume. That 113 cubic micrometres contains 0.75GB of DNA; to put it another way, 0.75GB in 0.00000011 cubic millimetres, so around 6.5 Exabytes per cubic millimetre or 6.3 Zettabytes in one cubic centimetre. A small cube 1.5cm on each side- small enough to fit on your fingernail- could contain all the DNA in your entire body. Makes your 4 terabyte SSD hard drive look pretty wimpy in comparison!

A 2014 study estimated the size of the internet at about a million exabytes, so a human cell nucleus one inch cubed could store the entire internet (from 2014) in DNA form.

On 11/25/2019 at 7:01 AM, kerbiloid said:

So, dog's age → human age is:

HumanAge_years = ln(DogAge_years) * 16 + 31

The dawgz get older first four years of life, then this process gets slower.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/829192v1.full

Reveal hidden contents

Hmm, I saw somewhere that the ratio of dog years to human years was dependent on the weight of the dog.

If I'm reading this chart right, an old, large dog could, in theory, travel backwards through time by losing weight.

dog_age_05.jpg

15 minutes ago, Nightside said:

Hmm, I saw somewhere that the ratio of dog years to human years was dependent on the weight of the dog.

If I'm reading this chart right, an old, large dog could, in theory, travel backwards through time by losing weight.

dog_age_05.jpg

Not more than you would do if you was extremely overweight and gone on a diet, it would increase your life expectancy a lot. 
However large dog breeds has more stress to their heart and other organs even then slim simply as they are large. 

Assume this is the standard weight of the dog, an very fat dachshund would be would be worse of than an fit large dog and also look pretty stupid, honestly they should add another set of legs halfway down :)

1 hour ago, Nightside said:

They mean the relative speed of methylation process.
Also they notice that big dawgs live twice less than small ones, due to biochemical pathology.

So, I guess the domesticated wolves were rather small...

Edited by kerbiloid

22 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

They mean the relative speed of methylation process.
Also they notice that big dawgs live twice less than small ones, due to biochemical pathology.

So, I guess the domesticated wolves were rather small...

And that is an interesting point, humans did not need more damage much, any advanced in spears and bows was to fight heavy armored humans. 
Some exceptions like the boar spear and elephant guns who primary was to make the hunt safer. 
Humans needed sensors, 
Outside of the classical English fox hunt the purpose of an hunting dog is to locate or redirect the prey. 
Later works well enough with moose and average sized dogs. 
Some chance we got the underdogs, they would probably be easier to domesticate. Also explains why wolfs hate dogs, they are the race traitors who doomed them. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Many moth and butterfly species have distinct patterns on their wings resembling images. One of the most striking of these is the moth who has a picture of a fly eating poop on its wing:

Image result for moth with fly wings

This picture is quite distinct, and selective breeding of insects can allow us to change just about anything. It would probably be possible, over time, to selectively breed moths to change the picture into anything we want, with the help of image recognition software.

When I first learned about this moth, the first idea I had was that it would be possible to create a moth who has a picture of Obi-Wan Kenobi on its wings.

Just wanted to post this as it blew my mind. Yes I just assumed this stuff was harmless fakes, at best having some magnets or giving of some smell but having radioactive materials in potential harmful levels. :O 
More fun in that I want an way more use of nuclear power as an fix for global warming who while I still say is overblown Y2K style its still an large problem. 
Most of the target group here is probably very anti nuclear power and concerned about radiation from cell phone towers.

Was noted in 2001 that people was stopped at airports or New York subway because they had increased levels of radioactivity because of sources in their body for long term radiation therapy or radioactive tracers for other medical uses they was pulled off 
They was let go once the issue was resolved, looks like this was discontinued as it was not very realistic but it should had picked up something so idiotic. 
Radiation give you cancer, not superpowers, GM works contact magnemoe for an prehensile tail buff for you baby :)

On 2/21/2020 at 6:57 PM, magnemoe said:

Just wanted to post this as it blew my mind. Yes I just assumed this stuff was harmless fakes, at best having some magnets or giving of some smell but having radioactive materials in potential harmful levels. :O 
More fun in that I want an way more use of nuclear power as an fix for global warming who while I still say is overblown Y2K style its still an large problem. 
Most of the target group here is probably very anti nuclear power and concerned about radiation from cell phone towers.

Was noted in 2001 that people was stopped at airports or New York subway because they had increased levels of radioactivity because of sources in their body for long term radiation therapy or radioactive tracers for other medical uses they was pulled off 
They was let go once the issue was resolved, looks like this was discontinued as it was not very realistic but it should had picked up something so idiotic. 
Radiation give you cancer, not superpowers, GM works contact magnemoe for an prehensile tail buff for you baby :)

What kind of fool targets "people who are interested in negative ion healthcare" and actually makes a negative ion source?

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

What kind of fool targets "people who are interested in negative ion healthcare" and actually makes a negative ion source?

Well they can not be accused for false marketing. Except that alpha radiation is positive ions. 
They can be charged for selling an dangerous product however. 
And no, selling an gun with an manual telling you that guns is very dangerous does not let you sell an gun who blow up and send the breach into your face. 
However the danger is supposed to be downrange, not at the shooter except ricochets who is an downrange issue. An thick steel plate, or an hard stone wall 90 degree towards you is not an good idea. 

Edited by magnemoe

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

1. If we ignored the theory of relativity, and the lump of the earth in the equator, then...

All LEO sats can move meters away from originally calculated trajectory, on a daily basis.

Spoiler

Or how do you think SSO sats work?

2. There are only 13 countries worldwide, capable of sending a sat to orbit without external assistance. USSR will not be treated as Russia.

Spoiler

In time sequence:

USSR, 1957, Oct

USA, 1958, Jan

France, 1965, Nov

Japan, 1970, Feb

China, 1970, Apr

UK, 1971, Oct

India, 1980, Jul

Israel, 1988, Sep

Russia, 1992

Ukraine, 1992

Iran, 2009

North Korea, 2012

South Korea, 2013

Some of the latter ones may not be agreed by some people. This is for reference, and what a majority agrees.

Edited by AllenLi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.