[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

4 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Interesting. I don't have that problem at all. I must admit that the ship I was trying to land was already in orbit when I did the update and still had the old supply values. Maybe it was a little too nose-heavy. I'll fill the aft tanks with ore and see what happens ;)

The AFT parts are not shielded inside the engine fairing, that's why it creates so much lift. I tried various ways to get it working but so far nothing. For now it is stable if you fill them up a bit, and keep your landing speed very slow. As in don't go faster than 200m/s while doing your landing burn. 

I will try to fix this asap.

17 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Just tried the fairing in the new version for the first time. Fairing disposal went smoothly and looked gorgeous. But I messed up my ascent, so I tried again. This time, the fairing destroyed my tank again. Same with the next try :(

I fixed the fairing! (for the 3rd time). Will push another update out once I found a fix for the AFT parts creating a lot of lift while landing.

To continue about my FMRS problem: is there a way the nose cone can be the root part of the side booster AND make the booster a subassembly? Or do I just have to attach the nose cone to the decoupler and build from there?

3 minutes ago, damonvv said:

I fixed the fairing! (for the 3rd time). Will push another update out once I found a fix for the AFT parts creating a lot of lift while landing.

Thanks a lot! I would never dare to decouple it at such a low altitude, though :o

If it works, I'm gonna need a parafoil so I can recover it ;) But I guess controlling it with FMRS would be impossible, since the fairing HAS to be the root part? Maybe I'll tweak the config so it can act as a command pod, add a small RCS tank etc...

Edited by infinite_monkey

16 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

To continue about my FMRS problem: is there a way the nose cone can be the root part of the side booster AND make the booster a subassembly? Or do I just have to attach the nose cone to the decoupler and build from there?

Thanks a lot! I would never dare to decouple it at such a low altitude, though :o

If it works, I'm gonna need a parafoil so I can recover it ;) But I guess controlling it with FMRS would be impossible, since the fairing HAS to be the root part? Maybe I'll tweak the config so it can act as a command pod, add a small RCS tank etc...

No? You can see in the FMRS menu that I can select both fairings. No need for root parts there.

Also: 

Note, you can see that I can select all 3 boosters + fairings. So not sure what your problem is.

EDIT:
Actually, I think if you have too many separated stages, it doesn't count?

Edited by damonvv

45 minutes ago, damonvv said:

No? You can see in the FMRS menu that I can select both fairings. No need for root parts there.

Also: 

Note, you can see that I can select all 3 boosters + fairings. So not sure what your problem is.

EDIT:
Actually, I think if you have too many separated stages, it doesn't count?

It's definitely not too many separated stages. Of course, the boosters are the first two stages I separate, but they didn't appear at all. On the other hand, as I wrote on the FMRS thread, one time upon separation somehow I destroyed the decoupler/pod, which had the grid fins attached. At this point, the grid fins showed up in FMRS...

And didn't you say the "satellite" (in this case: side booster nose cone) needs to be the root part in order to show up in FMRS?

I'll try again with a fresh vessel, ;) maybe it was just some hickup.

By the way, where are you launching from? Doesn't look like the KSC down there.

Edited by infinite_monkey

4 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

It's definitely not too many separated stages. Of course, the boosters are the first two stages I separate, but they didn't appear at all. On the other hand, as I wrote on the FMRS thread, one time upon separation somehow I destroyed the decoupler/pod, which had the grid fins attached. At this point, the grid fins showed up in FMRS...

And didn't you say the "satellite" (in this case: side booster nose cone) needs to be the root part in order to show up in FMRS?

I'll try again with a fresh vessel, ;) maybe it was just some hickup.

By the way, where are you launching from? Doesn't look like the KSC down there.

I think he's playing KSP with Almost Real Solar System installed

Why i just cannot control the throttle of "Octopus" engine during decent? I tried to land Ghidorah first stage and when im in flight, i can control throttle, but when it's time for hoverslam i just cannot do enything. When im pressing Z or rightshift nothing happens (yes, i have electricity, connection and all that stuff). When i tried to hyperEdit that decending stage which throttle i cannot control to orbit and then press Z it worked and engine behave as it should. When i tried to left the engine thrusting it just shuts off (at a certain altitude or speed?). When i tried to stop it in flight with HyperEdit and than releace and land with engines - it worked (but that way of landing rocket stages is sure unaceptable). What am i doing wrong or what's wrong with engine?

P.S. Sorry for mistakes if there any, English is not my native language \('_')/

@damonvv The problem I used to have with the fairings was if the payload was wider than the bottom of the fairing: when the fairings deploy, they pitch up and collide with my wide payload... Maybe making it so that they cleanly eject and just fall without pitching will fix this. I don't how you would achieve this, though.

45 minutes ago, NiL said:

Why i just cannot control the throttle of "Octopus" engine during decent? I tried to land Ghidorah first stage and when im in flight, i can control throttle, but when it's time for hoverslam i just cannot do enything. When im pressing Z or rightshift nothing happens (yes, i have electricity, connection and all that stuff). When i tried to hyperEdit that decending stage which throttle i cannot control to orbit and then press Z it worked and engine behave as it should. When i tried to left the engine thrusting it just shuts off (at a certain altitude or speed?). When i tried to stop it in flight with HyperEdit and than releace and land with engines - it worked (but that way of landing rocket stages is sure unaceptable). What am i doing wrong or what's wrong with engine?

That’s weird! I don’t have that problem in any way. What mods are you using? Do you have KerbalActuators installed?

26 minutes ago, HotVector said:

@damonvv The problem I used to have with the fairings was if the payload was wider than the bottom of the fairing: when the fairings deploy, they pitch up and collide with my wide payload... Maybe making it so that they cleanly eject and just fall without pitching will fix this. I don't how you would achieve this, though.

1.2.0.2 should fix that, will update when I can

44 minutes ago, NiL said:

Do you have MechJeb installed? Check your "limit Q" setting. If enabled, it might prevent your engines from firing on descent.

I am the only one who has problems with the decouplers?  The booster decouplers for the Ghirodah Heavy don't work and the shrouds for the Booster Guidance Unit decouplers are stuck on and the shroud clips through pods such as the Gigan or the Rodan.

I don't know if it was just me completely overlooking it but I can not find the engine skirt or whatever it is that goes around the engines.

So I totally mistook the trunks for radial mounted tanks that went around the outside of the BFS, not even considering that they were the shroud sorry for that.

Edited by jdb326

17 hours ago, F3RGHNZ said:

I am the only one who has problems with the decouplers?  The booster decouplers for the Ghirodah Heavy don't work and the shrouds for the Booster Guidance Unit decouplers are stuck on and the shroud clips through pods such as the Gigan or the Rodan.

Did you install all the dependencies? Did you install Animated Decouplers?

15 minutes ago, jdb326 said:

I don't know if it was just me completely overlooking it but I can not find the engine skirt or whatever it is that goes around the engines.

if you search "AFT" you should be able to find it!

4 minutes ago, Doggydog said:

Rather big Bug report. The BFR tank doesnt actually hold any fuel with the curret SpaceDock Release.

PART
{
	name = TE_BFR_Tank
	module = Part
	author = Damon

MODEL
    {
        model = TundraExploration/Parts/BFR/TE_BFR_Tank
		rotation = 0, 180, 0
    }
    rescaleFactor = 1

node_stack_top = 0.0, 13.5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 4
	node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -13.5, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 4
	node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, -1, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0

TechRequired =
	entryCost = 46600
	cost = 12000
	category = none
	subcategory = 0
	title = Gojira BFT-9000 Fuel Tank
	manufacturer = Tundra Exploration
	tags = Gojira BFR ITS big tank fueltank s1 landing
	description = This gargantuan composite tank rivals the height of skyscrapers, storing enough fuel to sling up Gojira and return safely to the ground for economical reuse. Unsafe returns may result in increased mission costs and entertaining explosions.
	attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0
	mass = 45
	dragModelType = default
	maximum_drag = 0.2
	minimum_drag = 0.3
	angularDrag = 2
	crashTolerance = 26
	breakingForce = 400
	breakingTorque = 400
	maxTemp = 8000
	bulkheadProfiles = size3, srf
}

Fuel is added by module manager patches

1 minute ago, The-Doctor said:

@damonvv hello there, I have one question, does a cargo version of the bfr exist in this mod pack? Really great work, it is inspiring.

from what i've seen, not yet 
depends on what version you're talking about
for the new 2018 bfr redesign, no not yet
for the previous design then yeah (^probably that one)

not sure if he's making it right now or doing other stuff

4 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

That's like the only thing missing imo, it would really sell this mod to me, either way I'm gonna use it. Heads up, I'm doing a proper full scale show on youtube with other ksp members with original music, writing and such, and your ship is gonna be in it, your bfr.

I stopped modelimg those to work on IVA first, but I will make them!

Hey @damonvv, noticed a problem with your changelog files

You need the KERBALCHANGELOG node around all the versions, and a bracket was missing :p

Corrected one for 1.2.0.2 is here: https://pastebin.com/86f0U48L

I haven't found a way of getting the nodes and values out without destroying the changelog formatting (removing the outer KERBALCHANGELOG node) in the process, and I'm looking for a solution to that...

For now, you just have to make sure that everything's in a KERBALCHANGELOG { } node before a release and all the other standard cfg stuff

1 minute ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

Hey @damonvv, noticed a problem with your changelog files

You need the KERBALCHANGELOG node around all the versions, and a bracket was missing :p

Corrected one for 1.2.0.2 is here: https://pastebin.com/86f0U48L

I haven't found a way of getting the nodes and values out without destroying the changelog formatting (removing the outer KERBALCHANGELOG node) in the process, and I'm looking for a solution to that...

For now, you just have to make sure that everything's in a KERBALCHANGELOG { } node before a release and all the other standard cfg stuff

Yeah I know, released this update before the changelog mod implemented some new features

9 hours ago, damonvv said:

Did you install all the dependencies? Did you install Animated Decouplers?

Ah. I feel like an idiot. I thought it was an issue with me playing with the betas - I had previous problems which required a re-install on KSP. I thought that would be the same problem but it turned out I took some of the dependencies which were included in the Tundra Exploration download and I forgot to remove them from their .zip folder so essentially they weren't installed. After fixing that, it worked. I feel like an idiot :/