[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

22 hours ago, Elro2k said:

Got it thank you! What should I use as my "control from here" when I dock? What should my target be?

just use anti target from the main command pod for both of them if you look closely there are pipes on the inside of the engine pay and those should line up with small going into big and big going into small

22 hours ago, Elro2k said:

Got it thank you! What should I use as my "control from here" when I dock? What should my target be?

6 minutes ago, Natokerbal said:

just use anti target from the main command pod for both of them if you look closely there are pipes on the inside of the engine pay and those should line up with small going into big and big going into small

Right click the docking port on the other vessel (without switching to it) and you get to select as target. All docking ports (in addition to command parts) have a "control from here" button so you can control from Starship's butt........?

14 hours ago, space_powder said:

DckhLpa.png

How can I fix this? Am I missing a config or something?

You're not missing a config. You have an active config. Rational Resources or CryoTanks Methalox are triggers for that config. Uninstall them or delete or disable TundraExploration/Patches/Extra_MethaloxEngine.cfg ...

Edited by JadeOfMaar

18 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Right click the docking port on the other vessel (without switching to it) and you get to select as target. All docking ports (in addition to command parts) have a "control from here" button so you can control from Starship's butt........?

does the rear of starship have that?

11 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Natokerbal I don't know. I've never looked for or stumbled over the feature. But if you can indeed dock Damon's starships by the butt, the feature is there.

Hide contents

@damonvv Psst... Answer this, please. Cuz I don't know the answer.

Yeah. Starship can dock butt to butt. But you have to be very precise 

On 2/8/2020 at 6:09 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

You're not missing a config. You have an active config. Rational Resources or CryoTanks Methalox are triggers for that config. Uninstall them or delete or disable TundraExploration/Patches/Extra_MethaloxEngine.cfg ...

Why are ALL engines configured to methalox if RR is installed? Shouldn't that only be the case for Starship? And isn't it possible to change the default tank setting to methalox as well? It's quite annoying to end up with a rocket unable to launch all the time...

@infinite_monkey The methalox situation is because I don't know better. I don't follow SpaceX very closely (so I was unaware that Falcon etc specifically don't use methalox) but I enjoy coming up with features for some mods, and when possible, writing configs for them. Since I created it, I can fix it.

18 hours ago, damonvv said:

Yeah. Starship can dock butt to butt. But you have to be very precise 

Would you ever consider creating a new visual or video guide for starship including ascent guidance and orbital refueling? I’m having a really hard time figuring out my starship ascent and landing superheavy. 

Does anyone know how to properly set up Starship's flaperons? I tried deploying them and setting the deploy angle to 0 and the authority limiter to 90, and they work, but yaw and roll are reversed (i.e, if I try to roll the flaperons move to yaw the craft, and vice versa).

@RealKerbal3x The way you steer Starship with its fins is nothing like you'd steer any airplane or shuttle. Treat the elevons as airbrakes and supplement them with RCS thrust.

• Deploy the head or tail pair of flaps for pitch.
  • Deploy the port or starboard pair for roll.
  • RCS for yaw, which you want to avoid needing at all anyway.

Aircraft in real life don't use their vertical stabilizers for yaw. They use them for coordinated turns which are balanced use of pitch and roll to effectively yaw.

Sometimes, for unknown reasons, they default to deploying inverted which you must manually fix. It happens to everyone and is a stock bug. Sadly, you have no option but to deal with it while you're in the VAB or at any point in flight before you need them again.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

@JadeOfMaar Yep, I know. Also, I believe it is possible to yaw using this drag based control system - you have to deploy the flaps on opposing corners of the craft.

The problem I'm having is that the flaps deploy on one side when I try to yaw (A and D keys), causing a roll, and vice versa.

Thanks for informing me about the deploying-inverted thing, though :)

Edited by RealKerbal3x

Hello there! I am here to ask about the engine mode for the Octopus engine. Is it possible to access the "Next Engine" or "Previous Engine" from kOS? I can't seem to work it out :confused: By access, I mean like :doaction() or :doevent() in kOS. Thank you in advance! :D

3 hours ago, M4GiC said:

Hello there! I am here to ask about the engine mode for the Octopus engine. Is it possible to access the "Next Engine" or "Previous Engine" from kOS? I can't seem to work it out :confused: By access, I mean like :doaction() or :doevent() in kOS. Thank you in advance! :D

yes it is. just do doaction(enginemode "1-3") and it should work. unless something changed cause ive done it before and it's worked.

Does anyone have a good ascent profile for the Starship / Superheavy using mechjeb and FMRS? I figured out how to land my starship I just can't get the ascent / boost back / landing down for superheavy. Currently I'm using a classic ascent with all of the default configurations for turn and angle of attack. I don't seem to have much control over the booster when I separate though so I might just need to do a more steeper angle. I also seem to loose control over super heavy once its reentering the thicker part of the atmosphere. It likes to flip a lot. 

At what velocity should I start my gravity turn? How steep should my gravity turn be?

How much Delta V should I have for my boost back and landing?

At what altitude should I separate superheavy from starship?

Edited by Elro2k

1 hour ago, Elro2k said:

Does anyone have a good ascent profile for the Starship / Superheavy using mechjeb and FMRS? I figured out how to land my starship I just can't get the ascent / boost back / landing down for superheavy. Currently I'm using a classic ascent with all of the default configurations for turn and angle of attack. I don't seem to have much control over the booster when I separate though so I might just need to do a more steeper angle. I also seem to loose control over super heavy once its reentering the thicker part of the atmosphere. It likes to flip a lot. 

At what velocity should I start my gravity turn? How steep should my gravity turn be?

How much Delta V should I have for my boost back and landing?

At what altitude should I separate superheavy from starship?

What scale are you playing in? Stock? 2.5x? JNSQ?

6 hours ago, Natokerbal said:

yes it is. just do doaction(enginemode "1-3") and it should work. unless something changed cause ive done it before and it's worked.

Thanks! I also just remembered that i could use actiongroup as well and toggle engine mode. Anyway thanks again. I love this mod!