[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

1 hour ago, SpaceGreer said:

Love this add-on - thank you for making it. Quick question - re: the probe core - how do you attach it? When I put it on a decoupler it won't seperate. I'm only seeing the two attachment nodes for the solar panels. 

Thanks!

Stock radial decouplers are fine!

wait what is difrence between BFR ITS and StarShip?

22 hours ago, MoonstreamInSpace said:

When should I jettison the boosters for basically any of the launch vehicles? Is there a guide I'm missing?

if you wonna do Fh separate them when they are low on fuel to have enough to landing on othe rmods i always left 2500 units of fuel now on this mod im not sure im now launching ksp to see

21 hours ago, MoonstreamInSpace said:

When should I jettison the boosters for basically any of the launch vehicles? Is there a guide I'm missing?

I don't know the official advice but I just experiment and usually find I want 1000-1400deltaV for boost back and landing. That's with Mechjeb, landing back at KSC.

I don't know if the figures work out but I usually boost to an apoapsis of 110km, seperate, boost back...change to second stage and circularise...then back to booster to land. 

Hope that's useful in some way!

1 hour ago, SpaceGreer said:

I don't know the official advice but I just experiment and usually find I want 1000-1400deltaV for boost back and landing. That's with Mechjeb, landing back at KSC.

I don't know if the figures work out but I usually boost to an apoapsis of 110km, seperate, boost back...change to second stage and circularise...then back to booster to land. 

Hope that's useful in some way!

1000-1400 might be too little in some cases, I’d suggest 1250-1600, but that’s just me.

I'm using Mechjeb to auto dock two starships together and there's no way to control the starship from the docking port on the bottom of the engine shroud or control the starship from a downward pointing control point. Docking mode on the command module is just for belly to belly docking, not tail to tail. am I doing something wrong or is there really no way to control the starship in that way?

7 hours ago, TomfooleryYT said:

I'm using Mechjeb to auto dock two starships together and there's no way to control the starship from the docking port on the bottom of the engine shroud or control the starship from a downward pointing control point. Docking mode on the command module is just for belly to belly docking, not tail to tail. am I doing something wrong or is there really no way to control the starship in that way?

For tail to tail, you don't need another control point, now you just have to point anti-target instead of target, but otherwise everything else is the same. For side to side docking, I think it's meant for other things to dock to Starship instead of having two Starships dock together, but you can use mechjeb for that if you really want to.

Obligatory I love this mod. It's beautiful and functions as intended! The new additions work swimmingly, and I love the thruster effects on the new control blocks.

I have spent way too much time attempting full reuse with the MK4 BFS. I have decided it's impossible no matter how I go about it. The closest I came was using tri docks inside the probe core, and KAS cables as struts. They must be manually removed in high atmosphere to work, and praying to the Kraken only goes so far when you're connecting the ship off center via the docking ports. And going about this without Vessel Mover is a no go because it's so finicky.

All this to say, is it possible to add a docking module to the probe core akin to the Engine Shroud so you can simply clip them back together for re-flight? 

On 7/19/2020 at 5:58 PM, noap1311 said:

Hello people, can i have some help ?

My gojira MK4 have a big texture bug. I have pink or it's supposed to be gray

I'm sorry, what is the problem? I am confused..

2 hours ago, ElonsMusk said:

Obligatory I love this mod. It's beautiful and functions as intended! The new additions work swimmingly, and I love the thruster effects on the new control blocks.

I have spent way too much time attempting full reuse with the MK4 BFS. I have decided it's impossible no matter how I go about it. The closest I came was using tri docks inside the probe core, and KAS cables as struts. They must be manually removed in high atmosphere to work, and praying to the Kraken only goes so far when you're connecting the ship off center via the docking ports. And going about this without Vessel Mover is a no go because it's so finicky.

All this to say, is it possible to add a docking module to the probe core akin to the Engine Shroud so you can simply clip them back together for re-flight? 

Well the rocket was never designed to just put a new starship on super heave and launch it again. I don't see a reason to add a docking port on an interstage. I had problems with that before.

On 7/20/2020 at 1:12 PM, damonvv said:

Well the rocket was never designed to just put a new starship on super heave and launch it again. I don't see a reason to add a docking port on an interstage. I had problems with that before.

I think that @ElonsMusk was intending to fly it and reuse it in a way similar to SpaceX's original ITS concept (about 2 minutes into the video) without needing the VAB. Are docking ports stable enough to use like this in KSP, though? They're so wobbly.
Reusable decouplers sounds like a plugin that needs to be invented...

Unrelated question. @DylanSemrau's Provenance Aerospace makes great use of SimpleAdjustableFairings so that its fairings are transparent in the VAB, among other things. I don't know all the specifics of this, but could F9 make use of some features, while retaining fairings as physical parts to allow for recovery?

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

On 7/21/2020 at 5:49 AM, alberro+ said:

Just a little suggestion, it'd be cool to have a black variant of the FH side decouplers.

I thought I added that, will look into it

3 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Unrelated question. @DylanSemrau's Provenance Aerospace makes great use of SimpleAdjustableFairings so that its fairings are transparent in the VAB, among other things. I don't know all the specifics of this, but could F9 make use of some features, while retaining fairings as physical parts to allow for recovery?

Interesting! Will dig into this!

On 7/14/2020 at 7:21 PM, damonvv said:

FMRS issue. Try set the save time for FMRS at like 2 seconds.

Thank you! I know it's not your mod but thank you for troubleshooting! I don't want to take your precious time anymore but when I use Textures Unlimited Starship basically goes black.

1 hour ago, SilNaZ said:

Thank you! I know it's not your mod but thank you for troubleshooting! I don't want to take your precious time anymore but when I use Textures Unlimited Starship basically goes black.

Your game settings for shaders are not enabled. If you turn that one on you will see it!

On 7/24/2020 at 10:16 PM, alberro+ said:

Been having a pretty large issue with the Starship fins lately, even with maximizing the authority limiter, none of the fins actuate fully with pitch, yaw, or roll. Is there any way to fix this?

Make sure you set the command pod's control point to 'docking' while re-entering. 

Bagorah on the beta version on GitHub has a launch TWR of 0.64. Here are some relevant images https://imgur.com/a/NGsU653.

I think the issue is that the resources are not defined for the tanks. Actually, this is a problem for all the tanks in the mod. Because the resources aren't defined, KSP is filling the tanks as much as it thinks can fit in them, which is more than intended.

As a side note, the MK3 Starship/Superheavy has had a <1 TWR on liftoff for a while now (before this issue cropped up).