damonvv

[1.10.x] Tundra Exploration - v2.0 (July 4th) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, Dragon V2 and Starship!

Recommended Posts

On 1/10/2020 at 8:38 PM, alberro+ said:

I know this mod is supposed to be (re)stockalike, but how come the solar panel on the Dragon V2 trunk is blue and not black? I think it’d look a lot cooler with a black curved panel.

Edit: I just noticed that the trunk doesn’t decouple on stage.

This would be awesome! Especially if the panels were also reflective. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tundra Exploration v1.7.1 is out!


Version 1.7.1
- Added umbilical to Rodan's trunk
- Added missing Mk4 SH tank fuel types
- Methalox mode engine nerf for same launch TWR
- Mk4 SL Raptors should be a little weaker
- Control toggle for all the big command pods
- Added stock subcats
- Fixed CGT links
- Fixed Rodan inventory where the command pod would dissapear in the VAB

Happy launches!
Download links in the OP!

 

U10G9UJ.png

Edited by damonvv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, damonvv said:

Added stock subcats

Flip the Advanced Mode toggle by the search bar ( <||| ) as though to access Subassemblies and you'll see them.

XBgmd1O.png

 

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will the solar-panel portion of the Crew Dragon (Rodan) trunk be made black as it is in reality? If not, how could I do it myself?

Edited by SpeedShot7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@damonvv Forgive what may be an obvious question, but is this mod balanced for stock? I saw on the first page mention of it having it's own RO patch, but I wasn't sure if that meant the mod was built for stock, with optional patches for RO, or the statement of it having a RO patch meant that it was built for RO. I just found this mod, and you had me instantly with the Godzilla name scheme, but i only play stock, and don't really have an interest in playing with mods built for realism, as in my experience, they tend to be way overpowered for stock experience. Again, sorry if this is a stupid question, but It wasn't clear to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@vardicd Balanced for stock scale: No. If it was, Starship would be built in 3.75m not 5m. And 5m is too big for a mod like this for stock scale. The engines would have to be as efficient as SRBs, or the tanks would need to have far less volume. Tundra's RO patches are a separate download in the 3rd post or so on page 1 of this thread. 2.5x~2.7x system scale is the middleground between stock scale for beginners and real scale for the hardest of players-- where you don't even need yet to add mods to keep stock parts playable.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SpeedShot7 said:

Will the solar-panel portion of the Crew Dragon (Rodan) trunk be made black as it is in reality? If not, how could I do it myself?

No. Not a single solar panel in KSP is black. I tried it once and it doesn't look right. I might consider it in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do the plumes for the Crew Dragon use SmokeScreen? I was wondering, because I really do like the Smokescreen configs for the F9, FH, and Starship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2020 at 10:47 PM, damonvv said:

No. Not a single solar panel in KSP is black. I tried it once and it doesn't look right. I might consider it in the future.

This is a problem with KSP, and something that annoys me to no end (and if Star Theory messes them up, as well, I'm gonna pester them until they fix it). IRL, most solar panels are black and highly reflective. The new shader is pretty good for that. 

For someone who knows anything about how real solar panels work, KSP ones are horrible, and even ReStock/NFSolar ones are lacking. Sadly, I've never had the skill to edit them (not for the lack of trying).

Edited by Dragon01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

This is a problem with KSP, and something that annoys me to no end (and if Star Theory messes them up, as well, I'm gonna pester them until they fix it). IRL, most solar panels are black and highly reflective. The new shader is pretty good for that. 

For someone who knows anything about how real solar panels work, KSP ones are horrible, and even ReStock/NFSolar ones are lacking. Sadly, I've never had the skill to edit them (not for the lack of trying).

It might just be a deliberate stylistic choice. But with KSP having drifted to a slightly more realistic, industrialized style with its parts over the years, the panels certainly look a tad outdated now, and I too would love black/reflective ones, especially on Dragon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It represents a real capsule and actually does a decent job at this, so it should also represent its solar panels. IRL, the black color is there for a reason. That's because those are monocrystalline cells, which are more efficient than polycrystalline cells (which are blue, but not quite KSP blue, either).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2020 at 1:05 AM, Miza said:

It might just be a deliberate stylistic choice. But with KSP having drifted to a slightly more realistic, industrialized style with its parts over the years, the panels certainly look a tad outdated now, and I too would love black/reflective ones, especially on Dragon.

I guess we have to wait for KSP 1.10 and see if they will revamp the solar panels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, damonvv said:

I guess we have to wait for KSP 1.10 and see if they will revamp the solar panels.

Perhaps it doesn't have to be only black. Maybe an alternating function between realistic black and stockalike blue?

Image result for crew dragon solar panels

Edited by alberro+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@damonvv You don't have to wait to see if Squad revamps the solar panels. (That might never happen so it's dumb to wait on that... For all we know... Squad might redo all the plane parts and THEN the misc stuff like solar panels, structural panels and the RTG.) I advised that your Dragon solar panels be blue so that they'd be easily recognized by folks who weren't expecting solar panels. But mods do exist that have solar panels in colors other than blue, like any ISS parts mod with the famous yellow or orange. The fanbase seems to really want black panels now so the only question is "When do you feel like it?" :/ I do believe it would be super easy to do and there's no obligation not to provide it.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2020 at 2:21 AM, Susam said:

Can anyone make a manual of mk3 and mk4 ?

what do you mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three Questions:

Will there be any update to the Crew Dragon (Rodan)'s engines? Such as the plume, throttle etc.

I am trying to disable the Superdraco thrust delay in the RO version of the Crew Dragon, but with no success. How could I do that? What do I need to change in the cfg file?

And finally: Will there be another RO update for Tundra?

Edited by SpeedShot7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2020 at 9:24 PM, SpeedShot7 said:

Three Questions:

Will there be any update to the Crew Dragon (Rodan)'s engines? Such as the plume, throttle etc.

I am trying to disable the Superdraco thrust delay in the RO version of the Crew Dragon, but with no success. How could I do that? What do I need to change in the cfg file?

And finally: Will there be another RO update for Tundra?

In TundraExploration\Patches\RO, open D2_RO.cfg. Under @MODULE[ModuleEngines*] add"%throttleResponseRate = 100000" (without the quotation marks). I pasted mine in between ignition threshold and minthrust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2019 at 1:10 AM, TheShadow1138 said:

Try going in to KSP's Settings -> Graphics and setting "Reflection Refresh Mode" to "Low" if it is set to "Off".  When I was making my reflective Orion capsule I discovered that it was shiny in the VAB, but dull black on the launch pad.  When I changed "Reflection Refresh Mode" to low instead of off, it was shiny and reflective in the VAB and on the launch pad.

old quote I know, but this doesn't work for me. reflection refresh mode is set to medium and TU is installed (unless I need something else, but I don't know where that "something else" is). mk4 parts look dark. gonna try running it with d3d11
EDIT: yes running d3d11 did fix it

Edited by space_powder
fixed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just me or should Rodan's abort thrusters (SuperDracos) be more powerful than they are right now? The only way I can abort safely is by shutting down , the main engines, and then aborting. Also, the issue with the trunk decoupler icon is still unresolved. The patch that was added didn't change it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, alberro+ said:

Is it just me or should Rodan's abort thrusters (SuperDracos) be more powerful than they are right now? The only way I can abort safely is by shutting down , the main engines, and then aborting. Also, the issue with the trunk decoupler icon is still unresolved. The patch that was added didn't change it.

the way falcon 9 works is that the engines are supposed to shutdown before they explode. and if it's an issue with the tank the engines won't exactly have much thrust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Natokerbal said:

the way falcon 9 works is that the engines are supposed to shutdown before they explode. and if it's an issue with the tank the engines won't exactly have much thrust.

No no, the mod works perfectly fine, I should thought it was kinda interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great mod! I’ve been working on getting my starship reentry / landing down. Has anyone made a video tutorial for this? If not I’m sure we could all work to make one.
 

I also have a few questions. 1 - does starship have orbital refueling? Is this something you plan to add in the future? Also my starship doesn’t have solar panels. Do I need the full near future solar mod in order to have the parts? I only have the core installed. Thanks!

Edited by Elro2k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Elro2k said:

Great mod! I’ve been working on getting my starship reentry / landing down. Has anyone made a video tutorial for this? If not I’m sure we could all work to make one.
 

I also have a few questions. 1 - does starship have orbital refueling? Is this something you plan to add in the future? Also my starship doesn’t have solar panels. Do I need the full near future solar mod in order to have the parts? I only have the core installed. Thanks!

1. yes it does you dock them butt to butt how elon showed it. 2. you need the full mod for the solar panels.

1 hour ago, alberro+ said:

No no, the mod works perfectly fine, I should thought it was kinda interesting.

I meant the real falcon 9 fuel tanks issue not TE lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Natokerbal said:

1. yes it does you dock them butt to butt how elon showed it. 2. you need the full mod for the solar panels.

I meant the real falcon 9 fuel tanks issue not TE lol

Got it thank you! What should I use as my "control from here" when I dock? What should my target be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.