[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

1 minute ago, F3RGHNZ said:

Ah. I feel like an idiot. I thought it was an issue with me playing with the betas - I had previous problems which required a re-install on KSP. I thought that would be the same problem but it turned out I took some of the dependencies which were included in the Tundra Exploration download and I forgot to remove them from their .zip folder so essentially they weren't installed. After fixing that, it worked. I feel like an idiot :/

Not a problem! I didn’t specify it enough during the beta, so I know it can be confusing :) 

Um, so quick question; when I load KSP with Tundra Exploration, it consistently gets stuck on /Parts/Cargo/TE_Cargo_Capsule/TE_Cargo_Capsule

If I delete those configs, it gets stuck on a Gojira II cargo config

I installed all dependencies and did not modify the mod at all.

Also I have 130 other mods installed.

What should I do?

Edited by Sparrowhawk

20 minutes ago, Sparrowhawk said:

Um, so quick question; when I load KSP with Tundra Exploration, it consistently gets stuck on /Parts/Cargo/TE_Cargo_Capsule/TE_Cargo_Capsule

If I delete those configs, it gets stuck on a Gojira II cargo config

I installed all dependencies and did not modify the mod at all.

Also I have 130 other mods installed.

What should I do?

Please send me the ksp.log file so I can get a look!

7 minutes ago, HotVector said:

Does the tanker version support butt-to-butt docking?

Yes!

On 11/4/2018 at 2:54 AM, eskimo22 said:

will the tanker version be a chomper that you can put fuel or raw materials in, or will it be just a big fuel/resource tank?

Mosly fuel

24 minutes ago, eskimo22 said:

I'm having an issue with roll on the BFR, when I press E or Q (the roll keys), it yaws instead of rolls. What to do?

There are some drag/lift issues. I am aware and found a fix for it. Updating the mod this week end

1 hour ago, damonvv said:

There are some drag/lift issues. I am aware and found a fix for it. Updating the mod this week end

It's not an aero issue, it's a control issue that only affects the gimbaling of engines on the roll axis. It is also solved by putting a probe core in the BFS, but this is a hassle, because I have to manually select the probe core every time before launch. The BFR stack is also really fragile, the junctions between parts are super weak. The rocket breaks on ascent, with parts of the BFR and BFS separating midflight without warning.

Edited by eskimo22

2 hours ago, damonvv said:

Is there any chance you’ve been able to look at the incompatibility with TAC before an update goes out?

Edited by Sparrowhawk
Info

3 hours ago, damonvv said:

While you're at it, could you take a look at the RCS transforms? Roll to starboard (or was it port...?) is off-axis by 5-10 degrees. It's most easily seen and verified using RCS Build Aid.

It's as if one or more of the transforms is askew. (RCS Build Aid displays the transforms but whatever is wrong isn't easily seen by the eye so it's off by a very small amount, just enough)

Edited by Starwaster

5 hours ago, eskimo22 said:

It's not an aero issue, it's a control issue that only affects the gimbaling of engines on the roll axis. It is also solved by putting a probe core in the BFS, but this is a hassle, because I have to manually select the probe core every time before launch. The BFR stack is also really fragile, the junctions between parts are super weak. The rocket breaks on ascent, with parts of the BFR and BFS separating midflight without warning.

4 hours ago, Sparrowhawk said:

Is there any chance you’ve been able to look at the incompatibility with TAC before an update goes out?

Please backup your save and download the beta. It has all these fixes. (Be aware that the command pod can/will be placed weird so please send all your crafts back before updating! 

The Tanker version has currently no fuel, working on it!

11 hours ago, damonvv said:

The Tanker version has currently no fuel, working on it!

I don't think they're actually planning on the tanker version having extra tankage... they might instead be relying on it having less mass to carry to orbit. And therefore it will have more of its standard propellant load to dispense to another BFS... Which if you think about it, extra propellant is going to be a lot heavier than the crewed version. Its mass fractions would suffer badly. 

Edited by Starwaster

23 hours ago, eskimo22 said:

rear RCS on the BFS in invisible (no plume), front plume is great though.

I see no problem here. And I didn't when I set this up. Be sure your install of Tundra Exploration is clean. Or let me know if you're missing plumes on some specific Tundra part other than the engine shroud.

3niXwKS.jpg

Also, the tanker nose has fuel now.

After hours of desperately trying to build a crane inside the cargo bay using either Infernal Robotics, Rocket Emporium or the Krane from WildBlueIndustries, failing again and again because the parts just jumped around wildly or the part intended to move stayed there mid-air, I found the culprit: it wasn't the other mods, it was the BFS pod.

@damonvv is the BFS pod modeled in some different way than, say, the tanks? I guess the problem is the curvature. I noticed that when I attach parts standing radially out to the tank below the pod (say, under the docking door), everything is fine. But if I attach that part a little bit higher, to the pod, it turns left or right. It doesn't seem to know where the surface is, or where "out" is. That is, when I attach it exactly on the center of the white part. When I attach it near the cargo door, attaching usually works. But if it is a movable part, trouble starts: inside the VAB, the part intended to move is fixed, while the part attached to the BFS moves. Or, if I attached the winch to the part while it was extended (i.e., I have an extendable boom, extended it in the VAB, then attached the winch to it), the winch hangs mid-air and the boom moves away from it. On the launch pad instead, the boom seemed to think it was already extended and moved inwards, then it noticed something is wrong and jumped back out, etc. Maybe I should make a video... Anyway, the solution is rather simple: don't attach a movable part DIRECTLY to the pod, but use some other part in between, e.g. some girder.

So I'm good to go, when can we expect the cargo pod? :D